Sign in to follow this  
part_timer

Hi folks - Intro + GMT questions

part_timer

Hi folks!

I’ve been browsing here for the last few days, like I do in a myriad of other watch forums!

I was bitten by the bug a couple of years ago now, started out with a Seiko 5, couldn’t believe at the time how much I paid for “just a watchâ€. But alas, the symptoms have got worse ever since!

I have a Sumo and an O&W M4 plus a few Vostoks in my collection, and recently added another Alpha to my existing Paul Newman chrono.

This new Alpha in question is the GMT Pepsi, stunned by the quality of the bracelet and casing for the price, it hasn’t been off the wrist in 3 weeks!

I’m really hankering after the real thing, and perhaps one day when my bank balance grows up I may go for it, even then it would have to be second hand and then there would be the sickening guilt pangs and the fear to wear the damn thing lest it got dinged or half inched!

The Alpha has been running very accurately, the GMT hand faultless so far, but it’s really tricky to set up without the date moving etc. So I’ve been thinking of getting one with a better movement, i.e. a replica, and my search guided me here to this wonderful bastion of knowledge!

I’ve looked at the 5 letter GMT replicas on offer on various sales sites and from the pictures I must say they look the business.

How good are they? Is the setting/winding far better than on my Alpha? I’ve seen you can get them with the Swiss ETA 2836-2. Are these bonafide Eta’s or are they clones? No matter if they are, as long as the movement is better than the grindy-geared Alpha?

Btw I’m in the British Isles, where best to get one of these GMT's?

Anyway if anyone has any advice to throw my way I’ll be much obliged! :thumbsup:

trailboss99

Hi and welcome mate.

Very few dealers can be sure of delivering a gen GMT. The main problem is that the clones are now so good that they can't tell themselves.

I'd stick to either Robert (Prestigewatchco) or Mary (watchinternational) for Swiss ETAs. Robert installs them in his own workshop after inporting them from a legit wholesaler and Mary appears to have a watchmaker savy enough to tell the difference.

The UK customs are a pushover, any dealer will be fine from that POV.

Col.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :thumbsup:

KBH

Col, Don't you mean a gen Eta? You wrote GMT.

And part timer,

My opinion is that getting a good GMT is almost a lost cause. The Eta movements are made by adding some Chinese gears to move the GMT hand, even if it is a Swiss movement. It doesn't really work the same as a true GMT movement.

You're just as well off with the Asian 21j movement when looking for a GMT. They seem to work just as well, if not better than the bastardized Etas.

Fiddo

Hello! :)

Welcome!

part_timer

Thanks for the welcomes and advice so far guys, I may get in touch with one of your recommended sellers soon. :popcorn:

part_timer
Thanks for the welcomes and advice so far guys, I may get in touch with one of your recommended sellers soon. :Whistle:

An update + pics comrades!

I contacted Mary and the rest is..well see for yourself, a package arrived a week or so later :gday_mate_haveabeer:

dscn0934o.jpg

dscn0935c.jpg

^ That well known drug, package opening, slowly slowly or quic...rip it all open asap? :Whistle:

dscn0941ht.jpg

Tada!

dscn0942v.jpg

The sparring partner...

dscn0971.jpg

Ready for that big bad world..... :exterminate:

Luthier

Congrats!

Nice GMT on your wrist!!!

It was fast too.

dingle

nice to see. congrats :gday_mate_haveabeer:

Fiddo

Looks quite nice!

Congrats!

Killasam

Congratulations

Great buy.

Sam

part_timer

Yes very pleased folks.

The sweep it beautifull, date magnification is huge, easier to set the GMT/time/date than the Alpha, only thing that's bad is the crown, it's too damn small for my fingers, but I guess that would have been the same had I got the kosher job anyway :Talk to the Hand:

Oh, the lume is great too! :lol: