Sign in to follow this  
Silverspeed

Rolex Daytona 6263 from David Wong

Silverspeed

Looking for something a little different I recently got the vintage Daytona 6263 from David Wong.

After reading Rolex Addicts great thread on the vintage Daytonas....http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4056&hl=rolex+6263

I wanted to see for myself what it's all about. I contacted DW on Ebay and asked him for the Daytona 6263 with the correct bracelet and 571 endlinks.

The idea was to get the version with the A7750 movement. I knew it's supposed to be a manual but the idea of stripped winding gears on a A7750 didn't sound

all that good.....however DW didn't have the necessary parts to make the movement so he offered me a completely built 6263 with the mysterious clone Val23

movement for the same price as the A7750. Sconehead was kind enough to act as a middle man since DW ships from Hong Kong and I have had more than enough

custom seizures...thanks again Scone :lol:

In all honesty the quality of this one is not all that great, your average rep is much better put together then this DW Daytona. The endlinks are a piece of crap ;)

and had some weird copper coloured lump on it...DW send me 2 new endlinks but they haven't got here yet. In the mean time I ordered a strap from BOB so I could

at least wear the thing...I never realised it's only 39mm :o so it's not really huge on the wrist....

All in all it's a nice looking watch, but not quite sure if this vintage stuff is for me....but it looks pretty enough on pics....

IMG_4585kopie.png

IMG_4586kopie.png

KinCaidk

It looks great!!

Sorry to hear that the quality isn't all that good. I probably still want one, though. :lol:

I can buy yours when you realize it's to small for you :o

Brightlight

I can't comment on the accuracy or otherwise of this Daytona, not being an expert, but I would imagine the asymetrical pushers would be a good start. Most cases you see have the symetrical pushers with the A7750. Did it cost a lot?

And why on earth would anyone in their right mind want a watch bigger than 39mm unless they are 6'6" or above and in excess of 250lbs with 10" wrists? Sounds like a perfect size to me :o

Edited by Brightlight

Silverspeed
It looks great!!

Sorry to hear that the quality isn't all that good. I probably still want one, though. ;)

Hell what do I know...perhaps it's supposed to be like that...could be "vintage quality" :lol:

I'll wait for the new endlinks and see if I like it better on the bracelet.

Luckily I paid much less for this then DW usually charges for the clone Val23. I paid $230 instead

of $380...so if I don't like it no harm done

KinCaidk
It looks great!!

Sorry to hear that the quality isn't all that good. I probably still want one, though. :rofl:

Hell what do I know...perhaps it's supposed to be like that...could be "vintage quality" :lol:

I'll wait for the new endlinks and see if I like it better on the bracelet.

Luckily I paid much less for this then DW usually charges for the clone Val23. I paid $230 instead

of $380...so if I don't like it no harm done

;) Vintage Quality!!! I'm gonna use that if I ever need to sell a crappy watch.

Omeg@007

I Want One As Well

Fiddo

I ordered virtually the same watch (different bezel) from him a couple of months ago. The endlinks weren't the best either......they look OK. Also, the crystal had a small scratch on the inside. I notified him of the scratch and he sent me a new crystal.

I like the overall look of the watch...then again, I am a fan of the vintage Daytona.

KBH

I've got a set of genuine end links. They're nothing special either. Maybe the QC wasn't as tight back then or maybe after 40 years of use they just get sloppy. If you mixed the gen and rep together you could never tell them apart again.

Member X

Has anyone got a link to DW's ebay shop?

Please feel free to PM with it if you'd rather not post it :)

I'm guessing he's not the guy selling this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Rolex-Daytona-18...h-/300426952356

:D

(although I actually quite like it :P lol)

Silverspeed
Has anyone got a link to DW's ebay shop?

Please feel free to PM with it if you'd rather not post it :)

I'm guessing he's not the guy selling this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Rolex-Daytona-18...h-/300426952356

:D

(although I actually quite like it :P lol)

No problem...this is his ebay link: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/dyrcsszw216/m.html?...p;_trksid=p4340

GC

SS...nice!

Although not a huge vintage fan myself,

if ya gotta have a vintage this model in in the top 5.

Stupid question, is this the model collectors refer to as the "Paul Newman"?

Or is that a completely different model and I'm just mixing it up because of the panda dial...?

Luthier
And why on earth would anyone in their right mind want a watch bigger than 39mm unless they are 6'6" or above and in excess of 250lbs with 10" wrists? Sounds like a perfect size to me :D

39mm watch on 7 3/4" or on 8" wrist, like mine, looks like a lady's watch.

Brightlight
And why on earth would anyone in their right mind want a watch bigger than 39mm unless they are 6'6" or above and in excess of 250lbs with 10" wrists? Sounds like a perfect size to me :D

It's only fashion. Twenty years ago you'd be thinking the Daytona was a big watch. It will no doubt swing back the other way.

GC

Here is something cool for ya SS... it really is the "Paul Newman" but not like everyone thinks, because everyone is wrong!

"When I asked Mr. Newman about these theories, he stated that he was unaware of how his name became attached to the watch, and he didn't recall even wearing a Daytona in Winning. Furthermore, he stated that his first Daytona, and the one he currently wears, was given to him by his wife in 1972, the same year he started his professional racing career. It is worth mentioning that the aforementioned watch is not a Paul Newman (exotic dial) model at all, but rather appears to be a Daytona (model 6263), with black dial and white registers."

found it here: http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/rolex_art...pn_daytona.html

Now it really is cool!!!

greg_r

I love that... Beautiful watch, Silver :D

KBH

Here's the Paul Newman dial:

DSCN3159.jpg

Member X

Thanks for the link, SS :D

I'm liking some of his stuff... even if it doesn't appear to be super-quality, from what you've said! lol

I guess you just have to email him on ebay and ask if he has any other dials he could put in it :)

P_Diddy

how did you change the crystal?

is there anyway of stopping the endlinks from rattling and making a 'tink tink' noise when you move your wrist?

cheers

PD

I ordered virtually the same watch (different bezel) from him a couple of months ago. The endlinks weren't the best either......they look OK. Also, the crystal had a small scratch on the inside. I notified him of the scratch and he sent me a new crystal.

saabin

is there anyway of stopping the endlinks from rattling and making a 'tink tink' noise when you move your wrist?

If DW is still using the same parts he was a few years back the you change it the same way you would a genuine one and a genuine crystal should fit.

The bezel is removed then the crystal, the crystal presses over a ridge on the case then the bezel presses over the crystal serving as a retainer of sorts as the fit should be tight enough to clamp the plexi crystal between the bezel and case.

As for the ends, more often then not you can give the tabs on the bottom side a slight bend to tighten the up.

Edited by saabin

P_Diddy

is it easy to remove the bezel on the DW Daytona?

or do you need special equipment?

is the plexy cemented in or just held by the 'ridge'?

Cheers

PD

If DW is still using the same parts he was a few years back the you change it the same way you would a genuine one and a genuine crystal should fit.

The bezel is removed then the crystal, the crystal presses over a ridge on the case then the bezel presses over the crystal serving as a retainer of sorts as the fit should be tight enough to clamp the plexi crystal between the bezel and case.

As for the ends, more often then not you can give the tabs on the bottom side a slight bend to tighten the up.

saabin

As long as whoever assembled it in the first place didn't use cement, and if the parts fit right you shouldn't have to, then it shouldn't be too hard take apart. Extreme care should be taken with the bezel it must come off and go back on evenly because if it is bent or flexed too much the plastic insert will crack. Here are a few photos of a dissembled case:

P1010643.jpg

P1010645.jpg

P1010649.jpg

AllergyDoc

It's also very light. The one vintage Daytona I had, when I wore it, I couldn't tell I was wearing a watch.

jkirke

Looks pretty darn good. Vintage creme dial on the black strap looks clean. Even if the vintage bug doesn't bite soon, hold onto it. You never know when it will!!

Tressles61

This is my next buy. I really like it. And I'm writing this to mark this thread for me cause I may need it for future reference.

Steve227

It looks f'in great mate. Never really paid attention to the Daytonas but the vintage look is awesome!