Sign in to follow this  
thepoet66

quartz

thepoet66

noobie, been browsing for the past couple of weeks.

im starting to get confused,secs at 6 secs at 12,asian7750,21 jewels,eta copy,

whats wrong with quartz,

do theywork ,do they look right

at least half the price can they be bargains?

or are they just cheap tat!

so if possible could we put together a best of quartz reps or is this just awaste of time

Fiddo

There are some pretty good quartz reps. In fact there are a some gen watches that are quartz too. Quartz watches will keep excellent time and do not need to be wound. On the flip side, quartz watches "tic". The second hand tics from second to second. It does not sweep like it would with an automatic movement. However, sometimes the tic versus the sweep does not matter or it is not that big of a deal. For example, those quartz Tag watches you commented on are quite nice and a good deal. If Robert, (PrestigeWatch) says it's a good deal, you can probably believe it. He usually "tells it like it is".

Edit- Also, you usually get full chrono functions with a quartz movement. Some replicas with certain automatic movements don't fully replicate the chrono functions.

Oh...... Hello! :D Welcome!

thepoet66

thanks for that,i have a couple of swiss gen quartz gucci,vercace,both dress watches that the missus bought.

im after a watch that i can wear everyday thats looks good ,no matter where i am ,tag looks good,so does un,anymore would be appreciated

trailboss99

No reason you can't wear an auto every day, I do.

But if it's quartz you want there are a heap to chose from. The Tag F1 is a nice rep and close to the gen (the gen is quartz). The SLR is also available in Quartz. Having no second hand it's a good choice too. Not sure how close to the gen it is tho. There are a cpl of Omegas including the Speedy available in quartz. The Rolex Daytona is also out there in quartz.

Col.

jmd33

Don't forget the ever-so-classy Cartier (reps and gens come in quartz).

wat44

just pull the seconds hand off - hey presto! no tick

I would buy everything in quartz if given the chance

Luthier

I wouldn't. It screams - I'm fake!!!

Klink

I wouldn't. It screams - I'm fake!!!

ditto, unless has no chronos or second hand...

but then, unless peoples is WIS, they never know..

course, just when is all nice, some of body will sy "it dun sweep"

but always some.. lol

we do get somewhat unal.. (read 'a' for 'u')

Life is Good!

Klink

fakemaster

Nothing wrong with quartz. Especially if you need to keep time. Get what you want. No one is going to notice.

prestigewatchco

Gen omega/patek/Rolex/cartier/Breitling/Tag/Bvlgari/raymond Weil/Rado to name a few Top Swiss brands all have quartz watches in their model line up

just ask yourself would you rather have a Gen Patek Quartz or an MBW rep

greg_r
Nothing wrong with quartz. Especially if you need to keep time. Get what you want. No one is going to notice.

+1

Like many others here, I wear an auto pretty much every day (although, coincidentally I'm wearing a quartz gen today), but that's just a matter of preference. Like Fakey says, there's nowt wrong with quartz. If they make you happy, go for it! :thumbsup:

Brightlight

Quartz? QUARTZ? Go and wash your mouth out with soap immediately!! If you want a watch with no soul, its dead face staring at you while its second hand ticks remorselessly round, then buy a quartz. If you want to buy a quartz, then get a gen, there are plenty of cheap ones around. Why buy a quartz rep that is only too obviously a fake?

I don't know what the world is coming to, when I was a lad, etc, etc................................................

Marcus

I have seen quartz movements on the bay with a sweep second that weren't Seiko. If you really must have a second hand just get one of them to replace the one in the watch.

Omeg@007

Quartz Watches have less headache than the Auto. in-terms of :

1)- You don't have to service it from time to time.

2)- No need to wind it daily or as per the watch movement.

3)- Easier to be repaired by the watchman than the Auto.

MY Self, i have 5 Quartz Watches and 1 Auto. :thumbsup:

Brightlight

I cannot believe all this quartz love!! Rep forums are not what they used to be.............................

Baldrick

What was it TTK said...."Why have a souless quartz...." !!!

Omeg@007

The Reason behind owning Quartz watches is sometimes in Auto., u will end up with non-professional watchmen who will not be able to repair or service the Auto watch. this is of course depends from country to country. In my place it is very rare to find someone understand these issues. Besides, i remember past few years i was having the Cartier Skeleton, and got problem with the movement. i took it to Seiko dealer and he checked the movement but without any assured.

Just last week , i took the Cartier to one of the watchmen in a commercial complex and he told me: ( easy to fix). Imagine how i was shocked. the dealer couldn't find a solution to me but a normal watchman analyzed it professionally. Also, it will be insane to take it to any of authorized dealer.

So this is the reason ( for my case i prefer to obtain the Quartz for most of my rep. watches). but this doesn't mean , the Auto is not preferred.....:thumbsup:

I like the Auto soo much, but .....have to be very careful with it specially in my country.

(BTW, this is my longest post... :huh: B) ;) )

Ciao

Edited by BBB9700

trailboss99

What was it that Fakey used to say?

"If you absolutely, positively have to kill someone on time, wear a quartz." Being a shot firer is another good reason :thumbsup:

Patak do a quartz for the price of a MBW?

Col.

Brightlight

Never a truer word spoken! The ONLY reason I can think for buying a quartz rep of an auto model is if you have already had the matching frontal lobotomy...............

I've never seen so many excuses for buying quartz as above. Man up people! If you positively, definitely have to have a quartz at least admit there is something suspect about you. :thumbsup:

Omeg@007

Never a truer word spoken! The ONLY reason I can think for buying a quartz rep of an auto model is if you have already had the matching frontal lobotomy...............

I've never seen so many excuses for buying quartz as above. Man up people! If you positively, definitely have to have a quartz at least admit there is something suspect about you. :thumbsup:

Well, they are not excuses my friend. You might be an expert in solving issues related to Movement, but what about others ( non-expert..:huh: ) of-course they will count on watchmen...

Brightlight

Well, they are not excuses my friend. You might be an expert in solving issues related to Movement, but what about others ( non-expert..:huh: ) of-course they will count on watchmen...

Ah but BB, if you cannot find a watchman the way to solve such problems is to learn. Imagine how much satisfaction you get when you turn a non working auto movement into a working one! You are saying you would never buy a Ferrari because you could never get a mechanic to fix it, so you will ride around on a bicycle...........

Omeg@007

Ah but BB, if you cannot find a watchman the way to solve such problems is to learn. Imagine how much satisfaction you get when you turn a non working auto movement into a working one! You are saying you would never buy a Ferrari because you could never get a mechanic to fix it, so you will ride around on a bicycle...........

True, and this wat i am doing B)

madcatlancelot
noobie, been browsing for the past couple of weeks.

im starting to get confused,secs at 6 secs at 12,asian7750,21 jewels,eta copy,

whats wrong with quartz,

do theywork ,do they look right

at least half the price can they be bargains?

or are they just cheap tat!

so if possible could we put together a best of quartz reps or is this just awaste of time

Nothing wrong with quartz IMO, if the gen is quartz then of course the replica should be quartz. They keep accurate time and you don't have to wind/adjust it if it has stayed in the box before using it.

But if the gen is auto/auto with chrono functions, I'd go for the replica that has auto (asian21J or ETA clone)/auto with chrono (asian7750 movt), it's more true to the watch that is was copied with that way. If the gen watch was replicated with a quartz, especially the automatic chronos, the replica will have the wrong subdial numbers and placement most of the time.

One reason why I got into collecting watches is because of the automatic mechanism, it's an absolute beauty just to see the mechanism run, and it's fun watching the seconds hand sweeping across the dial.

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

thepoet66

thanks for the advice fellas,

all i need now is a review of the tag calibre non quartz,

NFleischer

welcome- its true most watch lovers here prefer automatics. but quartz watches are more accurate and less trouble usually.

IMO- the achilles heel of alot of reps ends up being the movement; especially the chronos. you have to be prepared to service them.

personally, unless you get a cheapo quartz rep, i would get a gen. there are tons of good gen quartz watches out there for $1000 and under.

in my experience, Tags are very reliable and durable.