Sign in to follow this  
thepoet66

quartz

JoeyB
Gen omega/patek/Rolex/cartier/Breitling/Tag/Bvlgari/raymond Weil/Rado to name a few Top Swiss brands all have quartz watches in their model line up

just ask yourself would you rather have a Gen Patek Quartz or an MBW rep

+1

If the genuine is quartz then the rep should be quartz, if the gen is mechanical then the rep should be mechanical. I have the TAG SLR and it's quartz, same dial placements and all just like the one sold at my MB dealer.

AllergyDoc

I'm weighing in with Brightlight on this. I haven't bought any quartz reps recently but the ones I've had in the past were cheap. In general, the quartz reps are not made with the same high(er) quality parts as the ETA or A7750 reps are, despite dealer claims to the contrary. But again, I haven't bought any of the newest models.

IMO, quartz reps for me are just unsatisfying and feel cheap compared to an automatic or hand wind. My wife's dad has a gen quartz TAG and although it shines brighter than any rep I've owned, it looks cheap to me because of the tick, tick, ticking.

jmd33

Doc,

I could barely read your post because I kept scrolling down to the sig - lol

I guess you either love them or you hate them. I love both my quartz and autos for almost the exact opposite reasons.

I love the soul of the autos and the accuracy of the quartz, both equally. If I could only have one gen I'd probably go quartz (Omega or Cartier) - sorry :sad:

NFleischer
Doc,

I guess you either love them or you hate them. I love both my quartz and autos for almost the exact opposite reasons.

I love the soul of the autos and the accuracy of the quartz, both equally. If I could only have one gen I'd probably go quartz (Omega or Cartier) - sorry :sad:

Yeah Doc, what happened to Clint ?

joskologec

Boys. I love this topic.

For me autos are number 1.

Only excuse for buying quartz is if you do not know If you will like the watch.

It is much cheaper to try quartz for 100 $ than auto for 400 &.

I will do this with AP befor before I buy auto. :sconey:

Brightlight

I totally agree about going for quartz on the rep if the gen is quartz, BUT I personally wouldn't go for a gen quartz in the first place (not above Seiko level anyway). I just love those wonderful little mechanical marvels that are autos. Quartz is the Stepford wife of the watch world, perfect almost but lacks soul and doesn't excite.

fakemaster

No it hasn't. And if that were the movement in a gen Rollie everyone would be wanting their second hands to tick.

AllergyDoc
Doc,

I love the soul of the autos and the accuracy of the quartz, both equally. If I could only have one gen I'd probably go quartz (Omega or Cartier) - sorry :rainingshit:

Yeah Doc, what happened to Clint ?

:lol: I try to get away but someone always pulls me back. Usually it's Dave, but now it's Noel.

Sigh...

Do I have to say goodbye to the asses?

greg_r

How the hell are we gonna recognise who's posting without Clint? :rainingshit:

:lol:

Goon

Well i had to explain to a mate about why I prefer automatics over quartz despite all the 'drawbacks' that an automatic has. He's a car guy (as am I!), so I put it in his terms:

An automatic is like an Alfa Romeo. Enthusiasts all want one, despite the fact that they break down all the time, need regular maintenance, cost more to buy/run. It has soul, powered by a masterpiece.

A quartz is like a Jap ecobox. Cheap, reliable it will never fail you. But it has no soul. It's just a lifeless object powered by relatively simple means.

That's how I see it anyway. However, that is not to say that I own a couple of quartz watches!

Edited by Goon

greg_r
Well i had to explain to a mate about why I prefer automatics over quartz despite all the 'drawbacks' that an automatic has. He's a car guy (as am I!), so I put it in his terms:

An automatic is like an Alfa Romeo. Enthusiasts all want one, despite the fact that they break down all the time, need regular maintenance, cost more to buy/run. It has soul, powered by a masterpiece.

A quartz is like a Jap ecobox. Cheap, reliable it will never fail you. But it has no soul. It's just a lifeless object powered by relatively simple means.

That's how I see it anyway. However, that is not to say that I own a couple of quartz watches!

LOL - only thing is that I've yet to own an auto rep that was as unreliable as the last Alfa I drove :thumbsup:

Brightlight

I think a good parallel is in the world of sound. Digital may be fine but it has an indefinable 'edge' sometimes defined as a lack of soul, which is not quite authentic and can be tiring and why the real afficiandos have moved from CD to vinyl. After flirting with digital guitar amps and effects, personal side by side blind testing proved you cannot beat valves (tubes in the US) and analog stomp boxes so I reverted some time ago (the one exception being delay, I just could not live with tape in a live gigging situation!). No doubt it will come eventually but I have yet to hear a modelled sound that can mimic and beat a Strat through a Fender valve amp.

For digital read quartz, for analog read auto.