Sign in to follow this  
Steve227

Rolex Techies......

Steve227

Guys, having extended my Breitling collection I had the urge to investigate Rolex abit more. After trawling through the masses of Rolex reps out there I think its fair to say that there are quite a few phantom designs! I have a gen Datejust so was curious to see what could complement this.

Looking at the Sub the LV 50th Anniversary version looked good and then I saw a GMT Master II with the green bezel and black face. I have looked through various historic GMT websites which seems to show that this design has never existed. So, to cut a long story short, is the GMT Master with Green bezel and black face a made up watch?!?!

Cheers all you techies!

saabin

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. (Ive been away from the watch seen awhile)

The green ceramic bezel / black dial GMT was a limited edition anniversary model, (several years old now) the first rolex to feature the ceramic bezel and only available in solid gold.

Edited by saabin

AllergyDoc

According to this site the ceramic bezel is only available in black. (Date on page is 2008.) I couldn't find a reference to a green bezel model 4 pages deep in Google.

Luthier

The completely redesigned Rolex GMT Master II was presented in 2005, but only in yellow gold (ref 16718 LN) and launched as a 50th anniversary model with an all green dial, but later the black dial became an option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_GMT_Master_II

I doubt it was ceramic.

Steve227

Nice one fellas, kind of backs up my findings. Shame cos it looks pretty good (in my eye!).

saabin

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-master...0.html#116718LN

Looks like my memory was a little foggy. Black bezel green dial not the other way around.

It should be noted that contrary to Luthiers comment the 05' anniversary did have the ceramic bezel

11670_2_byflo777.jpg

Edited by saabin

Member X

I'm sorry, thst green dial one is hideous in my eyes :P lol

Steve227

I agree X but I do like the LV 50th on Sub! Would look good on the GMT.