Sign in to follow this  
Dzzzz

Rep or Gen Omega Speedmaster 3570.50

Dzzzz

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an omega speedmaster 3570.50 on ebay. The seller had a good amount of positive reviews from selling other watches. He was pretty informative, and in general, didn't raise any red flags.

The watch came two days ago (in it's box, without papers), and it's beautiful. I immediately took it off the metal strap and put it on a hirsch leather strap. The one thing that worries me about the watch, is that theres no serial number on the back of the case. I feel like a serial number is a basic enough detail that a high quality rep should have, so I'm geussing the watch could have originally been a grey market watch. I'm planning to go to the AD to authenticate it on Monday, but I wanted to see what you guys thought first.

So rep or gen (with reasons please). Please excuse the low quality iphone pics.

IMG_6913_zpsa2c55963.jpg

IMG_3855_zpsa45e9e8f.jpg

IMG_9288_zps3a2dd200.jpg

IMG_6454_zps85d7b07b.jpg

IMG_3320_zps734e7a47.jpg

IMG_8189_zpsbf3f8b51.jpg

IMG_3039_zps99a3129a.jpg

IMG_8164_zpsc918276c.jpg

IMG_5960_zps5b9485b2.jpg

IMG_2821_zps867b1302.jpg

IMG_4194_zps38206b64.jpg

robznet

Really need to see the movement here, I'm no expert on Omegas but that bracelet looks very rep like!

DG335

yep. open the back then its a tell

flyr

Dial spacing is correct for gen :)

IMG_6913_zpsa2c55963.jpg

Here is my manual wind rep for a comparison

DSC00118.jpg

Martin72

Haven't got mine to hand to check but one thing I would advise is look for a faint omega symbol in the middle of the hesalite crystal.

Oh and bracelet looks very gen, if memory serves me correctly the serial number runs from bracelet to case (you can see 3 digits on your bracelet shot)

Martin72

9529181827_d125eedc9e_o.png

Case back of my original, just found an old pic from when I bought it.

HeavyKrush

Dial spacing looks right for gen. Does the sub dial at 6:00 work when the chrono is running?

Phillips1847

Should have a serial # like you see on mine. But then again, I'm no expert on Speedys

d50y.jpg

Edited by Phillips1847

nev848

Picking a new one up tomorrow after spending the whole day searching the web. Just a 60 mile drive but hopefully worth it. Mine has the clear back.

Dzzzz

Thanks for helping guys.

The sub dial works perfectly as an hour timer for the chrono.

There is an engraved omega logo in the center of the crystal.

The serial number on the back of the case is non-existant, it's just polished on all 4 sides.

How would you advise me to take off the case back, while keeping the watch water resistant at the same time.

The serial number thing is really freaking me out.

The clear back ones are great. I was torn in between the two but found this one for too good of a deal.

nev848

Speaking to the AD today he did inform me that the watch has plexi glass and not crystal as per the original.

Just a thought as you mentioned yours has crystal glass.

TheInthusiest

Speaking from the point of view of someone who now works at a boutique for Omega, Rolex, Panerai.... I would eagerly advise you to head to your locad AD to get it checked out.

I am worried about it not having the serial number on the lug. Go to your AD...

TheInthusiest

7988969041_c82cedcf5d_z.jpg

Here is a gen with a serial number for reference.

Odyseus

It does look gen to me.!!

Yes it seems to have the Plexi domed glass. A lot of the reps use the Seagull wind movement which looks similar to gen. You should really remove the back cover to show the movement then you would definitely know.

Ps what does the 6 o'clock sub dial do?? At least it pointing in the correct position ;)

robznet

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm original subdial spacing.........................

OMEGA2_zps6803c99f.jpg

nev848
It does look gen to me.!!

Yes it seems to have the Plexi domed glass. A lot of the reps use the Seagull wind movement which looks similar to gen. You should really remove the back cover to show the movement then you would definitely know.

Ps what does the 6 o'clock sub dial do?? At least it pointing in the correct position ;)

Guess that will be the ST-19 Sea-gull?

I agree just pop the back and post a pic. Easy and you may at least get a good nights sleep.

greg_r

It looks gen to me, but the lack of serial is a puzzle. Will be interested to see how this plays out... Hope it turns out right!

glay78

Its a fake....sell me quick quick...hehe

Dzzzz

The local AD isn't that helpful (from the past experience with my seamaster). He just looked at it and said that it felt real (it does have the serial number).

The 6 o'clock subdial measures how many hours the chrono has been engaged for.

The crystal is hestalite. Kind of plasticy

How do I take the case of without damaging anything?

TheInthusiest

The local AD isn't that helpful (from the past experience with my seamaster). He just looked at it and said that it felt real (it does have the serial number).

Go find a different AD and have them open it for you. Its well worth the trip, mate.

greg_r

Good to hear that the serial is indeed present.

In that case, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. The crystal looks correct (it isn't on the rep), the subdial spacing looks correct (it isn't on the rep) and the hour subdial works as it should (it doesn't on the rep).

Pretty confident you've got a gen there, mate.

TheInthusiest

Good to hear that the serial is indeed present.

In that case, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. The crystal looks correct (it isn't on the rep), the subdial spacing looks correct (it isn't on the rep) and the hour subdial works as it should (it doesn't on the rep).

Pretty confident you've got a gen there, mate.

I agree. If you still can one day, go and make a trip to a better AD. It never hurts to get a more secure opinion.

Dzzzz

Hey sorry for the confusion. I meant to say my current gen smp has an engraved serial number, not my new speedy. I'm going to make some calls and make a trip to another ad.

Thanks guys for your expertise.

TheInthusiest

Good luck. I hope everything goes well!

Timbohire

Put a claim in to eBay if not happy you can always withdraw it later if found ok.

Remember if you buy a rep you know that you have a rep. If you buy a supposed gen watch especially from eBay it may be gen or it may be a rep. Lot of scammers out there! If you want a genuine watch get from a main dealer shop which you check it out before you buy. If you are not happy tell the dealer your not happy want to return for refund. Best of luck.