Sign in to follow this  
saabin

Airplane travel and watches

saabin

I am traveling to LA this week and consequently I am reminded of something odd that happened to one of my reps last time I traveled.

A while back I traveled from EUG to LAX. (Eugene OR to Los Angels CA on an airplane for those of you not familiar with airport designators) I brought five watches with me four of which were in a padded watch box nestled between close in my checked bag. Upon unpacking I noticed one of them, an IWC Jones, had a broken crystal. Not surprisingly the other three, being dive watches, were fine.

The F.A Jones rep I have had a very thin Mineral glass crystal and the strange thing was it didnt look broken like your typical impact damage, It looked like car window that was shot with a BB but from the inside. I wish I had photographed it but I didn't.

So anyway here is my question, Was my bag simply mishandled? There were no obvious marks on the outside as it had been dropped. Or can the atmospheric pressure change of going from sea level (I live less than a mile from the ocean) to however high a plane flies actually break a watch crystal????

Luthier

Ofcourse, it's air pressure.

About 25 years ago I bought gen. Orient for my dad, gorgeous watch, but on the flight back home the crystal popped up.

greg_r
Or can the atmospheric pressure change of going from sea level (I live less than a mile from the ocean) to however high a plane flies actually break a watch crystal????

Sure can...

trailboss99

The answer is to leave the crown out in the time set position. This will allow the air pressure to equalise.

Col.

saabin

I assumed this was probably the case as I have had shampoo bottles rupture from the pressure and so on. It just surprised me that the crystal broke rather just popping out of its gasket.

So here is an even better question. I will be in Freemont, CA the 6th-8th and in Duarte (north LA) the 9th-11th Who lives nearby and wants to take me out for a beer or two?? :giggle:

Edit: And perhaps fondle a few of the franken rollies I built back in the day.

Edited by saabin

RolexAddict

???

interesting ;)

onzenuub

Should be careful with rep boobs, nipples pop up during flight ;)

mtt.tr

Peli case ;)

sconehead

Just unscrew/pull out the crown of any watches in your luggage...;)

Luthier
I assumed this was probably the case as I have had shampoo bottles rupture from the pressure and so on. It just surprised me that the crystal broke rather just popping out of its gasket.

So here is an even better question. I will be in Freemont, CA the 6th-8th and in Duarte (north LA) the 9th-11th Who lives nearby and wants to take me out for a beer or two?? ;)

Edit: And perhaps fondle a few of the franken rollies I built back in the day.

I live in L.A.

saabin
I live in L.A.

Sending you a PM.