Sign in to follow this  
Jay123

Stainless steel or two toned..

Jay123

Hello guys im new to this forum im just asking which should i get for a rolex datejust ii, i know its based on my preference but will the gold wear on the Two toned rolex or will it keep well? It will be a watch i will be wearing daily

barkingtoad

If it's a daily watch I would go for stainless steel it's anyone guess how long the gold will last IMO

greg_r

TT models tend to wear better than the full gold version, but do bear in mind that it's fairly thinly plated. If it's a daily beater, the gold will eventually start to wear - mainly on the bracelet.

Personally I'd go for SS for a watch that I was going to wear daily.

Jay123

Im aware that its plated to 5 mils, is this good? Thanks for your fast reply guys i really appreciate it :D

greg_r
Im aware that its plated to 5 mils, is this good? Thanks for your fast reply guys i really appreciate it :D

5 microns is about the average.

Jay123

How long does the average last?

greg_r

Impossible to say - it depends on the acidity of your skin, the way you treat the watch etc... There's too many variables. Some folks have been lucky and the plating has lasted ages, others have found that it starts wearing from the clasp in a matter of months.

It is, however, the bracelet that will wear first - if it gets too shabby there's always the answer of switching it to a leather strap. The plating on the watch itself should last pretty well...

Jay123

I suppose i could always have it re gold plated? Would this be a good idea?

KBH

I don't think anybody really knows how thick the plating is on most reps, even the dealers.

The only thing I've found is generally the more expensive Eta reps seem to have better plating. My wife has a full gold DJ with Swiss Eta that is almost 2 years old and still looks like new and she wears it quite often. I also got a TT DJ that had plating missing on parts of several links on the Jubilee bracelet when I got it. Luckily Josh sent me a new bracelet right away. You can always buy a new bracelet with gold links on eBay for $250 to $350.

One thing for sure is you don't have to worry about it if you buy a SS rep.

greg_r
I suppose i could always have it re gold plated? Would this be a good idea?

not desperately practical, really. Would probably cost you more than buying a new bracelet from one of our dealers...

Fiddo

I have a couple of TT Rolex watches. Both are about a year old. One of them I wore a couple of times a week for several months. It still looks fine.

If you like the watch, I say go for it. Besides, what you think is going to be your daily wear watch now will probably be replaced by something else in the near future anyway. :D

Luthier

TT is the best. And if in a year time the gold on the bracelet will fade - buy new bracelet, it's cheap. Or order the watch with extra bracelet.

My advice - find wrapped gold watch, I use my wrapped TT Sub from Mary for 2 years, few times a week, and it's still like brand new.

jkirke

I love my SS daily beaters. They get a little scuffed from desk diving scratches, but buff out quite easily. I would imagine that if my SS beaters were Gold, it would be a totally different story. At the rate I refinish and touch-up my watches, I'm sure i wouldhave worn off ALL of the gold on it by now! Stick with the SS. You won't be disappointed.

---but on the other hand, if you're italian and wanna keep up with your boys, get the gold, and take good care of it! lol

NFleischer

Try to get a wrapped version with 14kt. gold; they really last and the ends are not 'naked'. I heard the DJ2 will have a wrapped version in a few months.

Here are 2 'TW Best" that are more than 3 years old and still look great- no signs of wear in the gold.

DSC00151.jpg[/img]

jkirke

Good call NFleischer. Never thought about the wrapped 14k.

Luthier
Good call NFleischer. Never thought about the wrapped 14k.

You mean - Good call, Luthier...?

:P

TT DJ is available for the long time already, ask Mary.

AllergyDoc

I have the same TT Taiwan Best YM as Noel. The gold is so thick on that watch that it can be polished. I know, I've doen it. (Don't try that on plated watches. It will strip the gold off.)

Jay123

So do marys versions of the datejust ii come with gold wrapped? instead of plated?

Luthier
So do marys versions of the datejust ii come with gold wrapped? instead of plated?

[email protected]

Jay123

Ive emailed mary and she is just abit more expensive than andrew who i was originally going to go with in the first place. From what ive heard they are both good dealers so common sense tells me to go with the cheapest?

Luthier
Ive emailed mary and she is just abit more expensive than andrew who i was originally going to go with in the first place. From what ive heard they are both good dealers so common sense tells me to go with the cheapest?

I highly recommend you to email Mary again, and she'll explain you the difference.

Jay123

Thanks luthier, ive just checked sent email and i must not of sent it haha, my mistake. Ive just emailed her now asking her :lol: