Sign in to follow this  
gottahaverolex

Oh yea!!! AMMO!!!

gottahaverolex
Put my name down....going to be stunning

Thank you for the confidence Pilch ;)

Aren

Looks great GHR. Very nice job.

I have two sewing machines, but only one can sew leather. It can sew anything that can be sewn with a needle. The machine which sews leather has a piston drive so it doesn't slip on heavy material like leather. It could sew shoe soles with the right needle. I have another machine which has a belt drive. It might be able to sew something like light leather, but it is basically for fabric and I don't presently use either.

Looking forward to seeing you at the GTG and hope you bring some of your straps for show and tell !

:)

gottahaverolex

I have two sewing machines, but only one can sew leather. It can sew anything that can be sewn with a needle. The machine which sews leather has a piston drive so it doesn't slip on heavy material like leather. It could sew shoe soles with the right needle. I have another machine which has a belt drive. It might be able to sew something like light leather, but it is basically for fabric and I don't presently use either.

Looking forward to seeing you at the GTG and hope you bring some of your straps for show and tell !

The machine I have is a cheap belt driven low duty machine Aren, it is my Mom's and I don't think it would be able to get though any of my 4-5 mm straps. I have no desire to cheap out and use a sewing machine on my straps. Yes it takes longer to hand sew them but the end result is worth it IMO. The straps pictured above are all giveaway prizes for the GTG so hopefully you get one. I'll try to have some of the ammo's done by then also.

Edited by gottahaverolex

Aren

The machine I have is a cheap belt driven low duty machine Aren, it is my Mom's and I don't think it would be able to get though any of my 4-5 mm straps. I have no desire to cheap out and use a sewing machine on my straps. Yes it takes longer to hand S&W them but the end result is worth it IMO. The straps pictured above are all giveaway prizes for the GTG so hopefully you get one. I'll try to have some of the ammo's done by then also.

The machine I have is a cheap belt driven low duty machine Aren, it is my Mom's and I don't think it would be able to get though any of my 4-5 mm straps. I have no desire to cheap out and use a sewing machine on my straps. Yes it takes longer to hand sew them but the end result is worth it IMO. The straps pictured above are all giveaway prizes for the GTG so hopefully you get one. I'll try to have some of the ammo's done by then also.

WOW

WOW...cool. I will hope to win one.

I wasn't suggesting you cheap out with a machine.....................that would be me! :rofl:

My old piston drive sewing machine is a Brother Industrial and it was made in Japan 45-50 years ago.

It was built to last. I don't use it much, but when needed it is a gem and better than any belt drive I have used.

I would put that machine up against any other, including a top of the line Singer Serger. :lol:

You do very nice hand work. :D

gottahaverolex

First of the ammo pouches are in! Already started dissecting :)

57D9AFA6-D1F3-4F59-BDA4-356BF198034C-12325-0000059EE000EC5C_zps83ebcf7f.jpg

gottahaverolex

Preview

Stitching in progress

A1BD86E7-B856-415E-9B6C-57C594CD7BFA-12325-000005A636807D1A_zpsb4d7fd4c.jpg

Front

BBDB33B8-0321-4498-9DC5-944B21F53B5A-12325-000005A63C41D4C9_zps959b2209.jpg

Back

43B738F9-257C-4CDA-8C68-657593ADDE7D-12325-000005A64253D6B2_zpsbbb4c32f.jpg

Chrisby

Wow that looks so damn impressive. All of the guys that make their straps and showcase them on here have a real talent.

You could buy a cheapie 21j watch, replace the strap with any of the straps these guys make and you've instantly changed your watch. A lot of the time (IMO) the biggest tell is the strap or bracelet. Once you put any one of the straps on that these guys make it makes your watch look 100% better.

Congrats on the strap GHR and all of you on your mad skills for strap making!

gottahaverolex
Wow that looks so damn impressive. All of the guys that make their straps and showcase them on here have a real talent.

You could buy a cheapie 21j watch, replace the strap with any of the straps these guys make and you've instantly changed your watch. A lot of the time (IMO) the biggest tell is the strap or bracelet. Once you put any one of the straps on that these guys make it makes your watch look 100% better.

Congrats on the strap GHR and all of you on your mad skills for strap making!

Thanks Chrisby! I am still very new to strap making and I'm still exploring some things to make my straps stand out. This first one is a bit thick so I'll be thinning the leather slightly on all of my future ammo's.

pilch23
Put my name down....going to be stunning

Thank you for the confidence Pilch ;)

140/90 for me!

gottahaverolex

Finished!

08C21BE0-D625-4C26-9B1F-6F4A101D8108-12325-000005D4C04267EB_zps6ab85bce.jpg

F754BA7F-2B82-424C-890F-EB6B997130B9-12325-000005D4B3E2F93A_zps3c323844.jpg

5F62D9CB-9153-4AC1-A5D4-0512BECC031E-12325-000005D4BAEDE2E9_zps49c88806.jpg

fatarms

That looks awesome, nice work there! :D

pilch23

Very nice.....how soft is that leather?

gottahaverolex
Very nice.....how soft is that leather?

It's nice and flexible but not soft like new leather. It's will break in nicely though. Keep In Mind this is 60-70 year old leather so it does have some cracks at the lug ends and buckle end. I will rub all of my straps down with Dr. Jackson's hide rejuvenator to soften the leather up and help rehydrate it. This may give you an idea about the feel of the leather

C53F1A24-E665-4E3A-B4EF-70C3AF2B3110-12325-000005DA21D2884C_zps359d9102.jpg

Edited by gottahaverolex

Aren

Don't know about Dr. Jackson's, but neatsfoot oil is inexpensive and has always worked on leather for me.

If your leather is checking or already cracked, maybe it needs to soak in softener before you work it.

Neatsfoot oil is all natural and non-synthetic conditioner used for centuries.

See how you feel about the smell of it if you decide to try it.

The straps look great GHR. I will look forward to seeing your straps at the GTG.

P4GTR

That does not look hand stitched Dan (and you would be most knowledgeable in this area). GHR did mention the look would be like this but most likely not stitched in this way to be in line with the vintage vibe.

Yes it is Dan. I have a sewing machine here at my house but I have no clue how to use it.

Unless you have a commercial grade, forget about it.. Moms will not work.

Um...it is hand stitch as are all of my straps and it's done exactly like my Ted Su, Micah and Gunny straps so how will it not fit with a vintage vibe? This pic is not a lock stitch so the thread is straighter than if it were but I can promise you it is hand sewn by me. Do I need to make a video? Lol!

We asked and thought it could be machine stitched because it is so damn straight. You did good buddy. Your distance from edge, straightness, tension on the stitch, alignment.. Everything is just right.

On the pics of the handful of straps you posted, the only suggestion I would have is some straps look like you might want to set the thread (use a hammer to lightly tap over the finished stitching to flatten everything neatly.). This is especially helpful when you're going to be burnishing the edges, so the thread stays flat and gets almost polished. The beeswax on the thread actually helps add color & character towards the edge naturally.

IMG_7364_zps8060c832.jpg

gottahaverolex
Don't know about Dr. Jackson's, but neatsfoot oil is inexpensive and has always worked on leather for me.

If your leather is checking or already cracked, maybe it needs to soak in softener before you work it.

Neatsfoot oil is all natural and non-synthetic conditioner used for centuries.

See how you feel about the smell of it if you decide to try it.

The straps look great GHR. I will look forward to seeing your straps at the GTG.

Aren, I have neats foot oil but I don't like it. It has a overwhelming smell and darkens the color too much. Dr. Jackson's is awesome and does not take days to dry as neatsfoot oils does. Try it out sometime and you'll see the difference.

gottahaverolex

That does not look hand stitched Dan (and you would be most knowledgeable in this area). GHR did mention the look would be like this but most likely not stitched in this way to be in line with the vintage vibe.

Yes it is Dan. I have a sewing machine here at my house but I have no clue how to use it.

Um...it is hand stitch as are all of my straps and it's done exactly like my Ted Su, Micah and Gunny straps so how will it not fit with a vintage vibe? This pic is not a lock stitch so the thread is straighter than if it were but I can promise you it is hand sewn by me. Do I need to make a video? Lol!

We asked and thought it could be machine stitched because it is so damn straight. You did good buddy. Your distance from edge, straightness, tension on the stitch, alignment.. Everything is just right.

On the pics of the handful of straps you posted, the only suggestion I would have is some straps look like you might want to set the thread (use a hammer to lightly tap over the finished stitching to flatten everything neatly.). This is especially helpful when you're going to be burnishing the edges, so the thread stays flat and gets almost polished. The beeswax on the thread actually helps add color & character towards the edge naturally.

IMG_7364_zps8060c832.jpg

Ah sweet! Thanks Dan, I just went over all of my thread on the straps I currently have. I actually did it to one of them a week ago just to see what it would look like, I'll continue to do it. Thanks for the tip bud.

P4GTR

Ah sweet! Thanks Dan, I just went over all of my thread on the straps I currently have. I actually did it to one of them a week ago just to see what it would look like, I'll continue to do it. Thanks for the tip bud.

My pleasure, glad to help.

Aren

IMG_7364_zps8060c832.jpg

What nice compliments from Dan.

Dan hand makes the most beautiful straps of the TDs IMHO. :D

His compliments should be treasured and are a tribute to your work.

Strap making takes hours of labour.

Yeh, I know the neatsfoot oil darkens and I didn't know how you would feel about the smell.

When I was younger, the neatsfoot oil lasted for decades and didn't have such a strong smell.

I know it smells different now.

I don't know why it has changed, but it still works and acts as a preservative too.

It is still often used for tack, saddles, holsters, belts, boots, etc.

I am sure you need so little for straps. Glad you found a nice product you like. :)

:cheerleader2:

gottahaverolex

Started a custom order, loving this set of pouches. Matching stitching looks the biz!

8C7DAAD4-3D9B-487A-A1C7-45C46094B5C5-376-000000204DAE4D10_zps9c647050.jpg

ED930DD6-348C-4B46-8D7A-277F12FCCA1A-376-0000003B568FFC18_zpsfd87b51f.jpg

Edited by gottahaverolex

Doomsday

Looks very cool!

HeavyKrush

Rich's ammo bags are for sure 'da bomb. Great to work with and produce excellent results.

DSC_3664_zpsaf62999f.jpg

phunkshunz

really nice straps you got there. :-)

16plus4v

Looks very cool!

Indeed

Mattwah

Nice, tough to choose where to make te cuts?