Sign in to follow this  
reacz

Is this watch any good? (Vacheron Constantin)

reacz

Hi Peeps,

First time poster, long time watch fan. :)

I'm thinking of purchasing this puppy from Silix (http://www.silix-prime.com/vacs002-p-1530.html) but I have a few questions, because I'm rather confused. :D

1) From looking, does this look a good deal? I know its probably hard to tell but I've seen the same watch on several sites; with italian, swiss and asian movements, I've also seen it offered in varying qualities and cheaper prices (this is the most expensive and best looking one I can find).

2) It doesn't say 'Swiss ETA' but just ETA on the movement, should I be worried?

3) Are Silix trustworthy/reputable, I see people have used them on here but can't find a lot of posts recently about them (how is delivery to the UK?).

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!

Edited by reacz

Ska

i don't have any personal experience with Silix, however IMO the trusted dealer list is there for a reason. Either Mary (WatchInternational) or Robert (PrestigeWatchCo) will be able to find the best possible version of this for you to suit your budget. Robert is a welshman and very knowledgeable. Mary is incredibly passionate and can find just about anything.

Shipping to the UK is not a problem - our customs don't care about rep watches. If your worried though many people also recommend Narikaa (another trusted dealer but one whom I've never used) who is uk based. He worries about customs so you don't have to.

Nice watch by the way.

dingle
i don't have any personal experience with Silix, however IMO the trusted dealer list is there for a reason. Either Mary (WatchInternational) or Robert (PrestigeWatchCo) will be able to find the best possible version of this for you to suit your budget. Robert is a welshman and very knowledgeable. Mary is incredibly passionate and can find just about anything.

Shipping to the UK is not a problem - our customs don't care about rep watches. If your worried though many people also recommend Narikaa (another trusted dealer but one whom I've never used) who is uk based. He worries about customs so you don't have to.

Nice watch by the way.

+1

well said ska

welcome to the nuthouse reacz :D

reacz

OK, I'll give those dealers you mentioned a whirl, I've sent Robert a PM, if he can't help me I'll try the others.

Thanks for all your help. :)

houndoggie

I've ordered from silix about a year ago and it took 4 months to get my watch, after they sent me the wrong one the first time

Luthier

First - no italian movements or replicas exist.

Second - will somebody, please, post here link to "10 big lies about replicas"? I can't find it.

Third - read more, then stick to our trusted dealers.

VC Overseas is great watch, I have chrono version, and I like it.

apoopoo999

I have an overseas, nice watch but the replica is a bit rough on the fit and finish. If you pay attention to how all the parts line up you can tell its a rep. I have the one thats listed on silix for $260

http://www.silix-prime.com/vacs015-p-2184.html

Edited by apoopoo999

Baldrick
First - no italian movements or replicas exist.

Right and wrong at the same time.

1. There are no Italian movements.

2. There are Italian replicas.

greg_r

Silix are a recommended dealer on some of the other boards, but not here. Personally I wouldn't buy from them - there have been too many problems in the past. They're not scammers - they're just a bit unreliable.

That VCO will have an asian clone movement (which is fine - it's not usually worth paying the extra for a genuine ETA as the clone works just as well and is virtually identical). It's a reasonable quality rep, but far from perfect.

As others have suggested, try talking to one or two of our forum dealers here. I'd be tempted to drop WatchInternational, PrestigeWatchCo and House Of Souvenirs an email and see what they can offer you.

Baldrick

@AD,

The 10 big lies post is not 100% accurate,the poster not only contradicts himself, but is also unaware that there has been and may still be a connection between Hong Kong and Italy in the production of solid gold Rolex Day / Date fakes.

In actual fact the best fakes WERE made in Switzerland.

Lie #1: The best replica watches are made in Switzerland, followed closely by Italy.

-- This is the biggest lie of all. All replica watches are made somewhere in Asia, mostly China. Saying that replicas are made in Switzerland or Italy is a lie intended to extract more money from the ignorant.

Lie #3: The movements in "Swiss made" replicas are identical to the genuine watch movements. 27 jewel movements are the best.

-- (See Lie #1 for "Swiss made".) Far from the truth. Very few replica watch movements Very few replica watch movements come from anywhere but China and any watchman can immediately tell it's not genuine. There are no Asian 27 jewels movements in replica watches; only 25, 21, or 17. (Some newer replicas are powered by an ETA 7753, which does have 27J.)

The poster contradicts himself

NFleischer

I have the white version, and I think its very nice. Mine is 3-4 years old and I think has gen ETA (not clone

but probably made in Asia too. That's another post). I wouldn't shop from Silix either, Mary is good and I still like Josh alot.

DSC00146.jpg[/img]

AllergyDoc
@AD,

The 10 big lies post is not 100% accurate,the poster not only contradicts himself, but is also unaware that there has been and may still be a connection between Hong Kong and Italy in the production of solid gold Rolex Day / Date fakes.

So what. You're talking about less than 1%. Big deal. The list addresses the other 99.9% of the lies the scammers dish out.

Baldrick

Doesn't matter if it's 1% or 100%, it's not true, it's also a lot more than 1%, if you think the rep world is confined to these forums and the transitional Mary's / Jandrews etc, you're very much mistaken. dya wanna carry out and pay for some more research Doc? B)

NFleischer

I can't imagine many people are buying solid gold rolex reps

for $5000-6000. Andrew was selling a gold APROO for $6500 or so, who in their right mind is going to spend that

$$$ for that, w/o assay of gold or any guarantee?

greg_r
I can't imagine many people are buying solid gold rolex reps

for $5000-6000. Andrew was selling a gold APROO for $6500 or so, who in their right mind is going to spend that

$$$ for that, w/o assay of gold or any guarantee?

Jetmid? B)

AllergyDoc
Doesn't matter if it's 1% or 100%, it's not true, it's also a lot more than 1%, if you think the rep world is confined to these forums and the transitional Mary's / Jandrews etc, you're very much mistaken. dya wanna carry out and pay for some more research Doc? :lol:

Baldy, you're about as interesting as a Claude Van Damme movie.

Baldrick

My intention wasn't to be interesting, it was to be informative, but you've never had the nous to grasp that and I've never watched a Van Damme movie, you obvious;ly have, hence your lack of nous, you possess a little knowledge Doc, that's normally termed dangerous, but in your case it's more of a fart than an explosion :lol:

AllergyDoc

"Nous"? Come on Baldy, even a "dimwit" like you can move into the 21st Century.

:lol:

Baldrick

I don't confine myself to the dictates of time Doc, one century is much the same as another, you seem to have an innate desire to punish yourself and constrain your intellect by watching Van Damme movies, defining yourself by period and wasting money on useless research, tell me Doc, what exactly are you allergic to, I'd take a guess but I don't think it's noscible and probably unpronounceable, so give it a rest and go back to choking the general's chicken :)

BTW, I love the fact that you Googled 'dimwit', did ya have to pay another $5 for that nugget :D

Ska

seriously.....who cares. the guy was asking for some help.

Only a complete fuckmook wouldn't be able to understand exactly what the 10 big lies mean. It doesn't take a PHD. Who cares if one point contains a brief contradiction.

IMO the contradiction is actually very useful in that it really does more to point out the very pertinent fact that with reps there is more often than not an exception to the rule.

Being as it is, a guide to the uninitiated (which was me not so long ago) managing to convey the transient and unpredictable nature of the rep world is very important for a list like the big 10 as its whole purpose is to stop newbies having ridiculous expectations of the watches they're considering parting with potentially hundreds of dollars for.

Baldrick
:D

reacz

Yeah, thanks guys, I took a look at that 10 lies page and it did help alot, nice to know there are people charging 400-500 dollars for Asian movements and not the movements they specify!

Anyway, Narikaa is helping me (although I have not heard anything for about 2/3 days now), timesshop also have the watch on sale at $178 which seems a good deal, I may go with them depending on what Narikaa can offer (if its a better quality rep or cheaper).

Cheers,

Reacz

Baldrick

You're best to go with Narikaa, especially if you're in the UK, cherry picked and avoids any potential Customs loss, you'll love the VCO, I've had mine for a long time and it's still a fav :D