Sign in to follow this  
Kcore

7S36C Movt.

Kcore

Like others, the Seiko bug has bit! While I have owned a Seiko quartz dress watch for a number of years, I just picked up my first automatic on a M2M sale. A Seiko FFF mod which started life out as a SNZH57J with the 7S36C movt.

This being my first Seiko automatic I was very surprised to find out that this movt. is very different from every other automatic movt that I own or owned, gen or rep. I'm hoping you Seiko and general watch experts can provide a few answers.

What surprised me about the 7S36C was:

1: it can't be hand wound. Winding is only accomplished with the rotor, swirling by hand or wearing

2: the movt isn't a hack movt, the seconds hand can't be stopped for precise time setting or syncing 2 watches.

I've searched a good deal and couldn't find out why this route of manufacture by Seiko was taken. Are these2 big differences from other automatic movt just a cost saving by Seiko or is it something more. If it is I would really like to hear about it. BTW, I've written a letter to Seiko USA but I doubt I'll receive an answer.

TIA,

Kcore

greg_r

Yup - quite a few of the cheaper Seiko autos use movements that cannot be hand wound - although a lot of updated versions are now coming with a newer movement that can (viz. the new Monsters).

Doesn't really bother me as I don't tend to hand-wind autos anyhow...

Kcore

Yup - quite a few of the cheaper Seiko autos use movements that cannot be hand wound - although a lot of updated versions are now coming with a newer movement that can (viz. the new Monsters).

Doesn't really bother me as I don't tend to hand-wind autos anyhow...

Thanks Greg - so I guess it's the cheaps.

Once I realized I was winding for nothing, it didn't really bother me. Just found it unusual. I guess it's more not being able to hack the seconds hand. I'm kinda OCD ( daughter calles me obsessive compulsive dad) and like to get as accurate as possible by way of atomic clock.

sci2

On my 7S26 (in my orange monster) you can deviously hack the movement if you pull the crown out fully and apply 'veeeery' gentle reverse torque on the crown - as in beginning to move time backwards on the dial. You can get the seconds hand to stop so you can line up with atomic. Some people have claimed that this isn't good for the watch. I've had this particular piece for years and I've not broken anything yet. I don't know if it'll work on the 36, but it might.

Kcore
On my 7S26 (in my orange monster) you can deviously hack the movement if you pull the crown out fully and apply 'veeeery' gentle reverse torque on the crown - as in beginning to move time backwards on the dial. You can get the seconds hand to stop so you can line up with atomic. Some people have claimed that this isn't good for the watch. I've had this particular piece for years and I've not broken anything yet. I don't know if it'll work on the 36, but it might.

Thanks sci, interesting work round. I know the 7S movt is a tank, but holding back the drive train gears against the main spring has to not be healthy.

sci2

I've been around the Seiko forums for a long time and this has long been a known way to pseudo-hack the movement. I've yet to read an actual report where anyone has damaged anything. Still, for safeties sake, I only do this when the watch is lightly wound and there is little tension in the mainspring. It's actually more difficult or impossible when well wound.

Mazz

its also less things to go wrong