Sign in to follow this  
GC

"Sealing" a PloProf crystal...

GC

Ok, I ordered the Ploprof, even though I said I would wait (because I have NO patience!)

Now with the drama regarding the laminated/de-lamination of the crystal occuring after exposure to water

I would like to know about some pre-delamination options...

Sealing the crystal/s has been mentioned on several occasions, but what exactly is this sealing process

and how would people that have not had any delamination or exposure to water go about getting this done?

Thanks in advance

GC

btw: the search for a rep Ploprof is what actually lead me to find RWG and is basically the reason I started

collecting reps in the first place, so needless to say I really want to keep and enjoy the PloProf I ordered.

offshore

@GC,

I'm guessing that these things are held in by those dinky plastic retaining rings.

If so, this is another example of them not doing their job!

I would be tempted to pop the crystal and just reinsert it using UV glue.

If you get a good even spread around the insert, it should then seal the area of lamination.

If you need to remove it at some time, acetone will dissolve the UV.

If however the watch is constructed like the original, with a retainer tab above the crystal and an O ring below, then a spread of UV around the laminate gap should do the job. (As long as you still have clearance to insert the crystal, which is a pretty tight fit in the gen.)

I actually believe the problem should rest with the factories, and I hope all the dealers are screaming, as this would be limiting their biz substantially. I can only hope there will be at the very least an offer of a replacement crystal ( Version :D

It shouldn't be up to the consumers to redesign/rebuild these things..out of the box!

O/S

gran
It shouldn't be up to the consumers to redesign/rebuild these things..out of the box!

O/S

It looks like this is the way we are heading....ready to go reps out of the box seem to be a thing of the past :D

GC

O/S

Thanks for the feed back regarding the sealing process, it's much appreciated!

I also agree about the not having to mod out of the box unless one wants to

improve some aspect as opposed to having to.

OK, here is a stupid question, the dinky plastic retaining ring which holds the crystal...

would it not be easier and cheaper to just replace it with a fully functional and more

rubber-ish material retaining ring? It also would, IMO as a total novice regarding mods,

be significantly cheaper and I'm guessing much much easier to do for the less experienced.

your thoughts ...

offshore

The plastic rings work around the outside circumference, whereas O rings and flat rings tend to be top or bottom (mainly bottom.) with another system to hold the crystal in.

Must admit the couple of photos of this I have now seen are using a bottom seal, so the crystal at 289 dia will be pretty snug in the casing.

Personally I would still use UV and glue it in, which would create a seal on the laminate.

O/S

GC
Personally I would still use UV and glue it in, which would create a seal on the laminate.

O/S

Darn...I knew you were gonna say that.

My plan to make it easier to mod with out sending it to someone to do this mod is foiled.

Thanks again OS for the insight and explanation, it's truly much appreciated.

offshore

But thats not a "mod" as such, just a simple crystal install with glue.

Take 1 toothpick, dip it (sparingly) in UV glue, and spread around the channel where the crystal fits, wipe off excess, fit crystal. Put under UV (sun or lamp) after 1 hour clean up any excess with acetone.

Easy as!

O/S

GC

My reputation obviously doesn't precede me... I have an gift for making things break and stop working.

I won't even do a bezel mod/swap because I would balls it up!, and then never forgive myself for ballsing it up.

Good looks come at a price mate!