RussP

49803815636_df6e42cec3_b.jpg

• Like 3

BravoDelta

20200422-064807.jpg

• Like 4

neogeo999

IMG-20200423-095541.jpg

I finally found a Sarb033 at a reasonable price and I couldn't resist... 

• Like 2

Soulskimmer

IMG-4432.jpg

• Like 4

RussP

My newest Seiko acquisition.

Deluxe 27j with a blemish-free blue dial:

49807501413_f137d1f4f3_b.jpg

• Like 4

BackInHisBox

I’ve never been much of a Seiko fan and, in the beginning, in fact, I was a gigantic Seiko hater. Their refusal to use sapphire crystals and hand windable movements just really put me off. That and I always hate what everyone else seems to love, it’s in my nature to be a counter-grainer.

Anyway, I’ve had a few Seiko over the years, trying to find a love for them, but I never did. With Bulova and Citizen out there doing similar bang for buck options and having sapphire crystals and hand winding movements why waste my time with Seiko. I did, however, grow an appreciation for what they offered over the years, though not until quite recent.

What I did find a love got was their vintage stuff. I’ve since dropped my distaste for anything not sapphire. I’ve also lost my loathing of non-hand winding movements. I still prefer them, but they aren’t necessary at this stage.

All that said, I still only two Seikos in my collection and I’m only planning on keeping one. The keeper is a vintage Pogue, there let it go is a modded SKX. I do love it, to a degree, but there’s just something still about Seiko that really doesn’t do it for me. I don’t think they ever will.

Edited by Del
Instagram links removed
  • Like 2

J!m

new prospex ones are sapphire. And hand winding. And vintage inspired.

Might want to take another look...

• Like 1

Soulskimmer
24 minutes ago, BeyondTheBox said:

I’ve never been much of a Seiko fan and, in the beginning, in fact, I was a gigantic Seiko hater.

You've been missing out my friend. Seiko is one of the finest watch makers in the world and their watches are among the most modable withe endless possibilities for customization. Happy you are getting on board.  Take care. 

• Like 3

BackInHisBox
1 hour ago, J!m said:

new prospex ones are sapphire. And hand winding. And vintage inspired.

Might want to take another look...

I’ve never not looked. Trust me, I’m a Watch collector, so I’m always looking. But what I  see is far too overpriced for what it is (to me) and I’m just not buying generic and entry level stuff anymore. I’ve got way too many watches, I’m  now being very selective. Seiko simply took way too long to finally make it to the table as far as I’m concerned. But I appreciate them now, don’t want to buy or own them, just appreciate and respect them for what they are. That’s all I was saying.

1 hour ago, Soulskimmer said:

You've been missing out my friend. Seiko is one of the finest watch makers in the world and their watches are among the most modable withe endless possibilities for customization. Happy you are getting on board.  Take care. 

No I haven’t been missing out at all, that’s my point. I do appreciate what they offer, but it doesn’t suit me at this stage and it didn’t when I was at the beginner stage. I’m far beyond entry level now and while I love their Grand Seiko line I just don’t care to spend that kind of money on a Seiko when it could easily be an Omega instead. So yes I’m “onboard” in a manner of speaking, but still not enough so that I’m buying anything they’re selling.

• Like 3

J!m

But the Grand Seiko will eat the Omega for breakfast. This coming from an Omega fan. The Swiss lost the game about a decade ago, and the Japanese have been steadily at it, improving processes and techniques while the Swiss dinosaur kept doing the same old thing.

Even Omegas newer co-axil movements are based on the 2892-a2. I've torn down and rebuilt the Omega 2500... 

Plenty of watches out there for everyone. But my last Seiko ticks a lot of boxes for me. I still want a 62MAS (although not as much now) but this watch, with a simple hand change (that I have not done), is basically that old watch, modernized. 

I certainly understand your perspective. I was a Rolex hater for a long time but I eventually came around. Still not much into the ceramic models (except for the 116600 Seadweller) and I stick with my 5512 and 1680.

Tudor on the other hand...

• Like 2

RussP

Eventually, EVERYONE comes around to appreciate Seikos, both vintage, and modern.

Perhaps not the brand entirely, but certain models develop cult followings.

Just my 2c.

• Like 5

Soulskimmer
46 minutes ago, BeyondTheBox said:

No I haven’t been missing out at all, that’s my point. I do appreciate what they offer, but it doesn’t suit me at this stage and it didn’t when I was at the beginner stage. I’m far beyond entry level now and while I love their Grand Seiko line I just don’t care to spend that kind of money on a Seiko when it could easily be an Omega instead. So yes I’m “onboard” in a manner of speaking, but still not enough so that I’m buying anything they’re selling.

Understood.  Just my 2c also, I think Seiko is the only brand that makes watches from $45 to $450,000. So, the range of choice is immense but to each his own brother.  Cheers.

• Like 4

BackInHisBox
1 hour ago, J!m said:

But the Grand Seiko will eat the Omega for breakfast. This coming from an Omega fan. The Swiss lost the game about a decade ago, and the Japanese have been steadily at it, improving processes and techniques while the Swiss dinosaur kept doing the same old thing.

Even Omegas newer co-axil movements are based on the 2892-a2. I've torn down and rebuilt the Omega 2500... 

Plenty of watches out there for everyone. But my last Seiko ticks a lot of boxes for me. I still want a 62MAS (although not as much now) but this watch, with a simple hand change (that I have not done), is basically that old watch, modernized. 

I certainly understand your perspective. I was a Rolex hater for a long time but I eventually came around. Still not much into the ceramic models (except for the 116600 Seadweller) and I stick with my 5512 and 1680.

Tudor on the other hand...

Trust me I get it, and I’m very likely go get a GS sometime soon, but brand recognition matters to me to a degree, so spending that kind of money damn well better bring some recognition with it. Unless you’re a WIS, Grand Seiko doesn’t.

Pair that with the history of Omega and yes “Swiss made”, it just carries more to it for me to wear an Omega than it does a Seiko. That’s why I said that. It’s also because Seiko makes watches costing so little to so high that dilutes the value of their nice pieces for me completely.

Again I still appreciate what they are and respect, but in this comparison Seiko can never win for me. Actually in most alone comparisons. Sorry this wasn’t intended to turn into a bash Seiko thing and I fear it’s turning that way. So again, all I’m saying is that I’ve found an appreciation for Seiko.

Intresting

Branding will always be like the german luxury marques vs lexus/infiniti stuff.   To some, Seiko may never carry the same cachet as long established Swiss brands.  To each their own.  To others, Seiko has as rich and depth of history as any Swiss watchmaker, all to be had at a much more affordable price point.  Think the fun part is to just enjoy the beauty of the watch itself, and Seiko certainly can hold their own.  True watch lovers should be able to get together to enjoy that whether the beater on the wrist is $50 or $50k. 

J!m

Yeah, Ulysse Nardin and Zenith are a couple other world beaters (though Swiss) that get very little recognition. How about Sinn (I think they had two red dot design ward winners last year!)? Killer, and almost invisible (German). Vintge: Universal Geneve...

Rolex is the brand for those who don't know much about watches, followed closely by Omega. Best brand recognition (other than Invicta- my Planet Ocean was called an Invicta once) out there.

I've moved on, and focus on the watch- for what it is. The engineering, and overall presentation. Newer planet oceans don't do it for me. The ceramic and kaleidoscope of colors blew it for them. Plus they seem to have gotten thicker, though that might be my imagination.. The 2892 is a thin movement. I like something with diving 'cred but much thinner. 42mm diameter and as thin as possible. 

My sights are currently set on a 321 movement Speedmaster. Preferably 1966/67. I have high hopes for the re-issue, but have not seen anything on the open market yet. 

WatchDog21

BJYiD.jpg

• Like 4

judas9r

Snk803 and Gertrude the dog.

IMAG1832.jpg

• Like 3

WatchDog21

Q2eGS.jpg

• Like 3

RussP
On 25/04/2020 at 04:04, judas9r said: