Sign in to follow this  
hacker2

AP 15400 Review - So many pics!

hacker2

First review for me, just received the new maker version of the black dial 15400. First impressions are....wowee! :drool:

Also please excuse the iphone pics, poor quality but I made up for it with quantity :)

nvtt2f.jpg

Details of the watch:

41mm diameter, Asian 2824 movement, costs $438 plus shipping.

Dial:

ngt37o.jpg

It is stunning! The markers are apparently closer to gen on the BP version (with thinner lume), and you can see slightly fatter lume on this one (only close up). The date window is very good, especially with the updated date wheel, although on mine about 5 dates do seem a bit low the rest are all spot on. Some people say the dial print is better (crisper) on the BP however I think the detail is so fine and small the new maker version is just as good. Obviously the logo is missing the laser etched line, but again hard too see unless your sniffing it! The bezel screws are better on the BP (as they are slightly recessed) however I am sure no one will call you on it; on this version they are either flush or 0.5mm out. On mine 4 are flush 4 are out. (Hard to take a picture of this)

2wqenly.jpg

Bracelet:

The bracelet is unbelievable, it is very shiny, and attention-grabbing!

wu3pjk.jpg

I have read some say it is rough, and I would agree to a certain extent, however it is only slightly rough when holding it (examining it), when it is on the wrist it feels so smooth. The end link cut outs are a bit dodgy, it is hard to take a picture of it, but the corners look like batmans ears! (see picture above)

Also I have to mention the pins in the links..genius invention! No grub screws to lose! No pin pusher needed! Just unscrew and remove!

Clasp:

The clasp is a touch stiff to undo (pressing in the two bits), perhaps some WD40 would help? Again looks great and the engraving of "AP" is so crisp.

iqkjlg.jpg

Caseback:

The entire caseback is perfection! The engraving on the rotor is so detailed and crisp. This is so hard to picture with an iphone! The engraving on the back is again crisp and the running serial numbers is a nice touch.

1zebdah.jpg

AR:

I am not sure if it has AR or not to be honest, the dealers state it, and some say the gen is a bit reflective, so ultimately hard to say unless you have both in your hand. You can judge:

n2j0jq.jpg

Lume:

The lume is pretty average for a rep, not that great but hey, its a dress watch after all.

ega0jb.jpg

Size and Comparison:

Ultimately this seems the most important to people, seeing how it wears on the wrist and comparison with other watches.

The diameter including crown is 44mm

The diameter excluding crown is 40mm

Case thickness is 10mm

Lug to lug is 50-52mm

The bracelet tapers from about 25mm --> 18mm

I have a 6.5" wrist and it wears perfectly! It comes with 6 removable links and I removed 3.

Wrist shot:

2hnx27r.jpg

Shot to show the lug size on wrist:

2ahzcs9.jpg

Thickness comparison with PO 45.5 (16mm v 10mm)

2wd98wx.jpg

Size comparison of PO and AP:

2qk6zgm.jpg

Conclusion:

To conclude.....I am not very good at reviews :help3: The watch itself is amazing! Probably if you are picking at nits...change the indices and logo for the BP ones, recess the screws and center the date completely (relume possibly?) .....super rep? Who am I to say. Love it and have no reservations about purchasing it!

Thank you and good night! :zzz:

ad6904

Great review mate, recently purchased the blue and love it!!

ads-1991

Yep great review and a good looking AP, Mines on its way now :D

George.

That's quite pretty...

I really want an AP, have done for a while now but the range is just so vast.

Who did you get this beaut from?

hacker2

Got it from Ryan over at intime.

gravedigger

Incredible timepiece :wub:

N.Rico

you sent me to place my order ... :giggle:

wqleow

Great review on a great watch!

Mine's on the way too!

bowtiefanatc

These new 15400's are so classy. I'm hoping to order one for Christmas to accompany my new Nautilus

vjkin

I've got the Blu dial of it..... it's unbelievable :wub: :wub: :wub:

venom43

Any way you can post a pic... Can't decide on the black or blue...seems like everyone gets the black.

jgoorn

Wow. Excellent review. What a beaut. I wish I had one :P

BentleySharp

Ohhh Jeez....That's it...Can't take it anymore. Must buy myself an AP 15400. Been trying to put it off and I just can't look at these beatiful pictures anymore and not own this watch. You said it's better than the bp version? Which dealer did this come from hacker2?

Oh...Just saw you said Ryan at intime...

Edited by BentleySharp

vjkin

Any way you can post a pic... Can't decide on the black or blue...seems like everyone gets the black.

And this is my blue face....... (photo by Dharma)

84d38651d1848f66d5b613ad11dc7877_zpsc4729b5d.jpg

8b2fadca24d5e4fdecabc5cc98c8c14d_zps38f17132.jpg

421a574e3e5ef9f7b9da09296112a8d5_zps88527fba.jpg

7ad323f55de5934ad03c636f32672057_zps185432bd.jpg

c895ea151a199675795645f850f51b89_zps07c300e8.jpg

:wub:

Edited by vjkin

Kleen™

That blue dial is soooo fuckin' sweet; gen-like or not i don't think I care anymore....;-)

But it would be awesome to see a comparison btw. the ZF- and the BP-blue colour...

Dark63

That blue dial is soooo fuckin' sweet; gen-like or not i don't think I care anymore....;-)

But it would be awesome to see a comparison btw. the ZF- and the BP-blue colour...

I'd love to see this too, though it seems that the Z Factory Blue is far more reflective... It's shiny, if you will. Giving it a really striking glow and a rich reflection off the patterned dial. Personally feel that's the one to get. I just saw the miyota movements at pure time (http://www.pureti.me/product/royal-oak-41mm-15400-11-best-edition-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-miyota9015/) and they seem to be using the BP dials. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one)

Daywatch

Congrats on that beauty. Is it really 10mm thin? Seems to be the main difference, mine is 12,7mm.

15400 BP Maker Swiss ETA 2824 from Ryan at Intime, cost 368,- and says hi to Yours

AP15400800mercHDDSC_9585_zpsee6daa5b.jpg

IMG_0961_zpsb21acb3c.jpg

BentleySharp

Ohhh Jeez....That's it...Can't take it anymore. Must buy myself an AP 15400. Been trying to put it off and I just can't look at these beatiful pictures anymore and not own this watch. You said it's better than the bp version? Which dealer did this come from hacker2?

Oh...Just saw you said Ryan at intime...

So I did it. No pics yet, but this was the thread that finally pushed me over the edge. I opened the box and was bowled over by the quality and finish of it....I got to see first hand what you meant when you said " First impressions are....wowee! :drool:"

Kleen™

Anyone got the blue Z-Fac yet...?

Antonio23

I'd like to see one of these in gold :D

tego3007

Anyone got one with miyota movement?

peteins

Nice review! wear in good health!

Pringles

great review! I hope they will make a skeleton but I don't think they will rep it! :-(

watches201

What Does BP stand for?

Legenden

15400 is a sweet piece, wonder when the J12 will be released.