Sign in to follow this  
Martinjogs

6612 - a cheap and cheerful vintage attempt

Martinjogs

I've always been a fan of vintage watches, which predates my current rep obsession. Anyway, to keep myself away from the M2M sales, I've been messing around with this 5513. I don't yet have the skill set to do a good vintage but figure it takes time, and mistakes to gain the skills.

Before and after picture = shiny new cartel 5512 from m2m transformed into grubby old, somewhat beaten up 1960s watch. Lessons learned? Well, mostly it was okay, taking movement out, hardest bit is getting the dial anything like right. Quite pleased with insert, strap and case and on the wrist it looks fine...at a distance! Just needs a good clean polish now to get some of the residual gunk off.

image_zpsb82751ba.jpg

c50193a6-24a1-42ac-965d-7124221fd523_zps11a0e533.jpg

James.

bonesy tutorial?

The best advise I can give is invest $80 in some quality tools, paints, varnishes etc because long run, $80-100 on those sure beats $200 on a few rollies :lol: TBH not too shabby for a 1st attempt though.

Oh, and use a blow dryer when you paint the dial, gives the lume a great patina compared to letting the liquid drift and dry naturally, especially if you're not going to re-lume yourself..

3rd piece of adv, bleach the insert. easy to remove, pop a butter knife under the bezel and pop the whole thing off, then pop out the insert. 1/2 bleach, 1/2 water, 10-20 seconds and rinse gently, re-installing is piss easy.

Those 2nds hand installs really are a bitch, 2nd piece of advice is get a hand presser from eGay, $12 w/ free hands remover and tweezers, money well spent ;)

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a9aae689

R1evans

Martin,where is the seconds hand?

You might have to use one of those spare red seconds hands that you have left.

Nice attempt.

Martinjogs

Thanks for tips. Typo on ref 5512, of course! I've not tried varnish or paint yet but will invest some time in reading the tutorials before deciding if I want to take this further. I don't want to start a whole new, expensive, branch of this hobby but then again it is fun to do and all being well I should improve!

James.

Thanks for tips. Typo on ref 5512, of course! I've not tried varnish or paint yet but will invest some time in reading the tutorials before deciding if I want to take this further. I don't want to start a whole new, expensive, branch of this hobby but then again it is fun to do and all being well I should improve!

It's a great fun and interesting way of turning a $120-150 rep into a $3-400 rep with a little time and effort. There's nothing as satisfying as finishing up a great vintage build. Check out homageforum.com for tips and tricks, you'll see a lot of familiar faces from here there too ;)

Martinjogs
Martin,where is the seconds hand?

You might have to use one of those spare red seconds hands that you have left.

Nice attempt.

Yeah, I gave up on trying to fit the seconds hand but will no doubt return to fit it - good idea though to try red hands!