Sign in to follow this  
vilan

I am an "old timer" (excuse the pun) stopping by to say hello

Baldrick
The board slowed and Neil (TTK) and Richard Brown started another board using the same layout as RWCC ( don’t know what this was called….??RWCC version 2… Neil could tell!)

Believe it or not, it was called Replica Watch Guide.......Richard (Audemarsfan)..later on (after the forum failed).... dropped the word 'Guide' and brought out his book 'Replica Watch Report'.

Mystery Shopper

Welcome Vilan and thanks for the background info- I hope you enjoy it here.

offshore

@OS.......you mention that Teevtee is still around.....really?.......on the forums......?

Baldy, I initially put this down in 2007.

However he continued to call at RWG2 until at least last year.

Think he also dropped in here a couple of times....new name.

O/S

Baldrick

Interesting.....!

'I'd like to see a return by Cousteau :lol:

offshore

Interesting.....!

'I'd like to see a return by Cousteau :lol:

Or TWT :rofl:

Legenday sparring!

O/S

Baldrick

:lol:

Oh, I could tell you some tales regarding TWT.......nothing like a woman scorned ;)

offshore

You , Cousteau and TWT bought new meaning to the word "flame".

What happened to the good days? :)

O/S

offshore

In fact I am just sitting here chuckling about it!

Didn't Thomas have to set up a special section to put the flame wars in?

What was that called again?

O/S

greg_r

Guys, this stuff is too fascinating to let pass. FWIW, although I was buying reps in around 2000, I came fairly late to the scene. I found TRC, briefly (under a different user name), but at that point had quit buying watches for a while so never really spent much time there. I didn't really get established on the fora until the very last days of Blade's RWG (after Blade's exit).

Anyhow, just a thought, but would you be willing to let me use the basics of what have been posted here, update it with some of the later shenanigans and post a PROPER history of the boards? It's no secret that our existing tongue-in-cheek post didn't go back far enough and, anyhow, was really only intended as a wind-up in response to some annoying comments from certain quarters - it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Might take me a while to get around to doing it, but I think it would be worthwhile... Thoughts?

Baldrick

Great idea Greg....:D

Wonder what some of the old members are doing now......Cousteau, Codammanus, Rima, Rya......the guy from Chile (?)....TTK etc etc.....:lol:

offshore

G, I have a mountain of stuff filed away...I will drag it out and shoot it to you.

We probably need to update things after 2007 anyway.

You certainly have my permission to use what i have posted here...and that which I send...the only consideration is that the brain is getting a bit old now, so I won't be responsible for dates. The facts however will be ..........................factual :) ( See Baldy, I learned those running periods............ from a great teacher! )

O/S

Sakurai

Awesome to hear about the history of the rep boards, please carry on.

Grimmi

Vilan, welcome...

And from what I've read I must add "thank you" :beer2:

greg_r

OS & Balders - thanks guys, I will try to do it justice :D

ads-1991

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this, some great information here :) interesting to learn about the history of the rep world, even though I'd only have been 10 in 2001 ;)

Welcome back Vilan, looking forward to reading your posts :)

Edited by ads-1991

TheTinMan

Super interesting. More please!

SSTEEL

Welcome back, Vilan, interesting to read your posts on the history of how things started out in rep forums.

Soldie

Vilan, you honor us with your history. I hope we will continue to benefit from it.

trailboss99

Oke, this is indeed beginning to get interesting.

I'm ready

15dukg0.jpg

vilan

Baldrick:

I probably lack an imagination because I used the name "vilan" there (and almost everywhere else on the web). . What name did you use?

Baldrick

Sorry Vilan, I don't recall your username, that could be down to not having 'flamed' you :lol:

As for my name……… ..I couldn't possibly tell…… .wild horses (and JohnG) couldn't prise it from me :lmao:

dingle

Sorry Vilan, I don't recall your username, that could be down to not having 'flamed' you :lol:

As for my name……… ..I couldn't possibly tell…… .wild horses (and JohnG) couldn't prise it from me :lmao:

:lol:

interesting indeed.

Welcome to the nuthouse vilan :)

:popcorn:

offshore

JohnG,....... now there's another sparring partner who fell by the wayside........... :lmao2:

Mores the pity.

O/S

vilan

Offshore:

You triggered dormant memories, like one of those commercials for Oldies records. "Andreas" did use the name "Andre" for posting, now that you mentioned it, although I recall he told me in an email his real name was Andreas. In 1999, we had an earlier site before the RWCC, that I think was called the "Replica Watch Collectors" but we could not figure out how to post graphics that were not huge and took up half a page. There was something wrong with the ftp function. Nonetheless, we were getting many posts (no sign in was needed) and Andre (I will use that name since more of the veterans will remember him better) who thought he would get an advantage as a dealer, could not show off his catalog. We then moved to RWCC which had an easier back end (to get rid of spammers) and Andre could control the size of the jpegs he wanted to post.

Best of all, you brought back memories of the cast of characters from the old sites. I remember writing the legal disclaimer for Thomas since what he had originally could have brought him into court by a gen company or even an insulted member. I also recall having numerous jousts with TTK, and once, after he thought I insulted him, refused to sell me watches. Neil had the best photos by far, and I have still not seen any that are better. He once called my house in the middle of the night (to scare me I think) because he did not like something I said. I will observe that while Neil was banned by some boards, and did cause divisions, life was interesting when he was flaming and fuming.

I also remember when you came on line along with a new group of enthusiasts that added qualitative discussions and raised the level of discourse. I also remember Richard Brown and how he was promoting his book, but other than being in London with Neil, I did not know they were allies. In fact Neil wanted to convey the impression he was a spy who had moved to Asia. I also recall when he got very ill.

To help Greg with his project, I will search for my old Dell 486 because on the hard drive, in my email archives, I have a huge number of emails I sent to myself which had hundreds of posts I copied from the boards, as well as screen captures of the then versions of replica sales websites. I copied these things because many people used to ask me legal questions, and I wanted to have a record of events to answer the questions accurately. (For example, besides people wanting know if they could sue a dealer, another issue that people constantly raised was whether they could get in trouble for just wearing a replica watch; and for some, even after I emailed them case law to show they were OK, they still would not take "no" for an answer and would write me again with the same question a few months later.) It will not just be for Greg though since I am now interested to did up those memories for myself.

The bad-old-days are fun to recall, and I am grateful for helping me recreate them