Sign in to follow this  
George.

Need help choosing a panerai!

George.

Good evening folks,

I've not understood Panerai for a long time. I didn't seem to connect with the design or shape of the piece and I certainly didn't understand the love for them.

HOWEVER

I saw a particular one in the wild the other day and something was ignited. It all fell into place. The proverbial penny dropped.

Having done a fair amount of reading, I think the time has come to buy my first Panerai.

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find the right one at the moment, I'm not sure if you can go really wrong with some of them. I'd rather ask you guys what would be the 'best' automatic Panerai to buy in terms of quality.

I know it's a tricky question to ask, but there are so many models out there, I just need a bit of guidance, y'know?

I've heard the 111 V3's are the dogs on terms of quality?

This sort of thing is up my alley: http://oceanictime.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/panerai-luminor-for-paneristis-10th.html?m=1

All the best!

black263

Frankly, if you're looking for the best automatic watch, the Pam 111 is useless. I have had one for some months and the automatic winding is so bad as to be non-existant. Some automatics never need hand winding, some occasionally, but I find that unless I manually wind the 111 every couple of days, I wake up in the morning and find it dead. Whatever others may say, if you want a decent auto-wind function, stay well away from that model.

Anyone disagree?

PeterPotamus

Frankly, if you're looking for the best automatic watch, the Pam 111 is useless. I have had one for some months and the automatic winding is so bad as to be non-existant. Some automatics never need hand winding, some occasionally, but I find that unless I manually wind the 111 every couple of days, I wake up in the morning and find it dead. Whatever others may say, if you want a decent auto-wind function, stay well away from that model.

LOL...

He is just saying that the 111 is not automatic. it's manual wound...

Here is mine

20130202_115145_zpse6264244.jpg

black263

LOL...

He is just saying that the 111 is not automatic. it's manual wound...

Spoilsport. This thread had legs but sadly, no longer.

credo325

PAM 390, PAM111, or PAM 417. All great quality and all manual wind. I love my manual wind. Keeps great time and I love taking it off after about 2 days and winding it just to feel it in my hands again and look over it's beauty. I would recommend KW or Josh, but do your research. At the end of the day, its not called pulling the trigger for nothing, it's a risk and a gamble. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Play by the rules and you won't get hurt.

Good luck.

TheSav

If you want the best automatic pam go for the 029. Otherwise the 111 and 417 are great options as mentioned above. Best advice if you like pams is to check out Ales pam review guide over on RWI.

George.

Anyone disagree?

I wasn't saying it HAS to be a 111, I was just curious about this rep as a lot of people have spoken very highly of it. I'm fully aware it is a hand wound movement.

George.

Here is mine

20130202_115145_zpse6264244.jpg

That's stunning! Thank you for sharing

I'd be quite happy with something like yours

Mechwarrior

George.
PAM 390, PAM111, or PAM 417. All great quality and all manual wind. I love my manual wind. Keeps great time and I love taking it off after about 2 days and winding it just to feel it in my hands again and look over it's beauty. I would recommend KW or Josh, but do your research. At the end of the day, its not called pulling the trigger for nothing, it's a risk and a gamble. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Play by the rules and you won't get hurt.

Good luck.

Interesting thoughts, thank you.

In most of the research I've done, manuals seem to be the most common so I won't just limit myself to an auto.

Did you buy from KW?

George.
If you want the best automatic pam go for the 029. Otherwise the 111 and 417 are great options as mentioned above. Best advice if you like pams is to check out Ales pam review guide over on RWI.

Just read Ale's pinned threads on Pams, very good recommendation to do so, thank you!

George.

Is that what you have?

Del Boy

111.... it's semi automatic... you just need to make sure you rub the crown against something as you walk.

Mechwarrior

no, 372 will be my next. i have 127 lite, ferretti, and 292 ceramic ^_^ ( + 1 nice hommage regatta pr)

Edited by Mechwarrior

George.
111.... it's semi automatic... you just need to make sure you rub the crown against something as you walk.

Can I pay you to do it for me?

George.
no, 372 will be my next. i have 127 lite, ferretti, and 292 ceramic ^_^ ( + 1 nice hommage regatta pr)

Nice collection, got any pics?

I saw the 292 ceramic from Andrew just now, preeeeety

Mechwarrior

ah ah ah a lot of crazy forumites here have 50 and more pam........these are nice collections..........i just 4. ;)

ShadyManc

029, 088, 312, 359 for Luminor

288, 388, 505 for Rads.

Read Ale's PAM guide you must.

Mechwarrior

Btw.........buy the one you like most

elp

and then all the others ^_^

greg_r

The 111 or the 177 (same watch with a titanium case) are great places to start. Both very close to gen. Can't really go wrong

Corv99

You will probably end up getting more than 1 in the end..

When you see gens is one thing, when you get a rep in your hands, you get it!

The 111 is really nice, I have had the cheap beginners version then the full noob version.. There is a difference and would recommend the latter..

Then for me 288 , 390, rattrapante , 372 when Noob version eventually makes an appearance!

There are a few of the above up in M2Ms now.

George.
029, 088, 312, 359 for Luminor

288, 388, 505 for Rads.

Read Ale's PAM guide you must.

Just read Ale's threads, a lot of interesting stuff to consider

Mechwarrior

and then all the others ^_^

super LOL

George.
The 111 or the 177 (same watch with a titanium case) are great places to start. Both very close to gen. Can't really go wrong

Thanks G, Noted

There's just so many versions of the Pam's, i appreciate everyone's help

You will probably end up getting more than 1 in the end..

When you see gens is one thing, when you get a rep in your hands, you get it!

The 111 is really nice, I have had the cheap beginners version then the full noob version.. There is a difference and would recommend the latter..

Then for me 288 , 390, rattrapante , 372 when Noob version eventually makes an appearance!

There are a few of the above up in M2Ms now.

I'll take a look at the M2M's, thanks!

I think you're probably right, I'm going to end up investing in more than just the one.. I'd rather do as you said, go full hog and get the noob version

Thanks for your help !