Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

When is a mesh bracelet not a mesh bracelet?

greg_r

Rep mesh for the Breitling SOH is a problem. The mesh that exists isn't size adjustable beyond minor adjustments to the clasp (unlike the gen which has removable sections), and none of the aftermarket mesh bracelets really look that much like the real thing. So when a friend who spends half the year out in China emailed me to say that he'd found a fully size-adjustable rep SOH mesh, I sat up and took notice.

I asked him a few questions about it - and also asked him to send me a photo. Yes, the bracelet had removable sections similar to the gen. Yes, it fit the SOH as that was the watch he saw it on. No, it didn't have the right clasp. The photo he sent me from his cellphone could have been almost anything from a gen bracelet to two trucks humping, so that didn't get me far :drool:

I decided to take a punt at it. Rather than wait for him to return to the UK, I sent him some cash (to include another watch too - more on that one when it gets here) and asked him to pick up a bracelet for me to try. Turns out he bought the whole watch, which arrived yesterday.

Firstly, this is a 21J SOH, so it's not that exciting. I wanted a bronze SOH, but was thinking of the upmarket rep to accompany my blue v2. As a result I don't think this is going to get a lot of wear - it's okay for a cheapie, but that's about it. However, the bracelet was what this was all about, so I took a closer look - and promptly burst out laughing.

You see, it's not mesh. It's a regular SS bracelet with links moulded to look a bit like mesh. It's quite cleverly done, but is very lightweight and doesn't bear close examination. Cute idea, though... :wave:

Anyhow, it didn't cost me much, so what the hell - call it an investment in research. :drool:

Just for giggles, here are the pics.

soh21j_bronze.jpg

soh21j_bronze_2.jpg

This shot gives you a better idea of the construction of the bracelet..

soh21j_bronze_bracelet.jpg

KinCaidk

:wave:

Clever!

trailboss99

Very clever in fact.

Wanna sell the SOH head?

Col.

gran
:wacko:

greg_r
Very clever in fact.

Wanna sell the SOH head?

Col.

lol. Kinky already asked. :wacko:

I'm gonna hang onto it for a while, but may well move it on in due course. Will let you guys know if I do.

AustinTech

That is a funny way to do mesh...seems like more work than just doing it the normal way.

greg_r

That is a funny way to do mesh...seems like more work than just doing it the normal way.

Much cheaper to manufacture...

greg_r

By the way, it has just occurred to me that this watch doesn't have the usual cheapie (inaccurate) dial. Take a look at the positioning of "superocean" vs. "automatic". Does this mean that the better dial has now become the standard version?

Baldrick

Are the case and dial not just the same as the 'superior' version.?

Dial looks Ok to me.

AustinTech

The dial looks OK to me as well. The case - also not too bad - but the lugs - not even close.

Member X

lol @ the 'mesh'

Looks alright though!

greg_r

Dial - on closer inspection - is damn good and appears to be the same dial as the upmarket version (which is a pleasant surprise, the cheapies always used to have the incorrect dial).

@AT - yes, the lugs are way off. The case isn't deep enough and the bezel is too thin. The crown does not screw down and is too small anyhow. It's also a lot lighter in weight than the upmarket version (or the gen). Still not bad for a cheapie though. On the upside, the bezel has a nice positive action to it - it's not as floppy as the old ones used to be.