Sign in to follow this  
RolexAddict

Rolex vintage concept...

RolexAddict

Some news...

At this time the GMT 1675 project is in progress, will take a little more time as its more difficult right now to source parts. The closer watches were those sold by Josh and Andrew, but they changed for another model which has incorrect crown guards. Remember, these GMT 1675 were built on a Submariner background engraved 5513 but with thick crown guards.

Now, they sell a watch with a case having crown guards machined thinner and they replaced the tube and crown for the GMT one : We have the oposite : a regular Sub case background with a smaller GMT crown... impossible to get an accurate GMT with this.

Sillix-Prime only has some of these older GMT version but mostly with fantaisy dials printed Cartier or Cellini...

So, if anyone here can help to find back these old GMT vintage, or a source to get good cases and dials, it would be great.

CONCEPT ONE :

THE ROLEX SUB 5512, 5513, 1680, COMEX, SEA DWELLER

For these watches I would be able to offer a standard transformation :

- Re-worked/shaved crown guards

- Rolex specs drilled lug holes and bracelet end links, and Rolex springbars replacement

- Aftermarket plexi replamcement -only if the rep one is incorrect-

- Re-lumed markers and hands in a patined color and style

- Aged aftermarket insert (better paint material, more easy to change colors)

- For the bracelets : Eased/smoothed links and clasp sharp angles

- Waterproof test 3ATM as these watches have been made to swim and dive

THE PHILOSOPHY :

Provide reasonable prices : These light mods are enough to allow to wear these watches without complexes even in an Rolex AD shop...and bring them at the beach. Of course, gen crowns and tubes, gen bezel rings, plexies... correct end links ref... etc. are the cherry on the cake. Are you ready to invest 1000 usd or more in a rep ? Even with "gen" components, the watch is still a rep... Nobody in the street or at the restaurant carry a magnifying glass and will tell you "show me your tube..."

HOW I WILL PROCESS :

Right now, I am not organized to order 10 or 100 watches from a maker or supplier. And I will not take any risk before I have found a solution. I will be ready in september. Parts are not a problem, I started already to order inserts, springbars, plexies, and I have tools, lume material etc.

When ready for the GMT 1675 for exemple, I have built already a jig to modify Sub bezel rings faster.

CONCEPT ONE FIRST PROTOTYPE

I have bought this from Josh http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01103-vintage-...800-p-7808.html

I paid 133usd shipping inclued, peanuts. O.K, ultra-perfectionists will say this Comex Sub uses a SD case, no problem, what was interesting for me was to test before invest in more expensive watches.

Believe me, this little cheap watch is incredible.

If right now some member wants a Sub for exemple, he has to get the watch then send it to me and I will mod it. I am not a Josh shill, members can chose from another dealer and send me the watch. Simply, Josh offers accurate material and everything is easy and fast delivered.

I was not really convicted by this "316F" SS. Impossible to see the difference on a picture. But looking at this watch I have to admit there is a difference. Its not more bright, the apparence is different, I cannot explain in english, but at certain angles, catching the light, the metal color and aspect is closer to gen Rolex.

The case construction is exactly like the gen. I tried a Clark superdome, fits perfect. I tried an aftermarket insert made for 5512/12/1680/1665 which is smaller than those for modern Subs/SD, fits perfect.

The dial is INCREDIBLE ! the bracelet clasp equiped with the diver extention is thinner than on other Sub clasps. Closer to gens.

I thing these new series of SD and Subs 1680 with this 316F SS and powered with the low beats eta would be a good background for this vintage concept. But remember, I am not sure Josh would give me a low price if I would order 10 or more, and right now I dont want to take this risk.

So right now : members buy a watch and send me for mod.

THE COMEX REVISITED

Monday evening I disassembled the watch and wednesday it was finished. Crow guards shawed, hug holes drilled, complete re-lume job and voilà.

its not 100% perfect, its a prototype, its the learning curve.

This is the watch out of the box. Thick crown guards, yellow/orange lume, note : its better than some years ago, its really good material and easy to bring out a wearable watch.

Comex_bckgrd.jpg

Huh, heavy tools there to work on a little piece of metal...

Comex1.jpg

I tested a Clark Superdome. In fact, the watch came with a factory Superdome EXACTLY like the Clark. No need to change. this is anal and expensive

Comex2.jpg

Factory lume is removed, now need just to be clean with alcool

Comex3.jpg

Hands are re-lumed. Sorry for my fingers and nail, eaten by, aceton and chemical...

Comex4.jpg

and now, enjoy...

Comex5.jpg

Crown guards re-worked, done with my knowledge, what I have seen in the real life and photos. More material could be removed from inside. But at this level, I think I am already close enough from the real thing.

CGmod.jpg

Details on the re-lume. I improve technic and material used.

relume.jpg

The factory insert was replaced. Inserts coming with reps are made from a printed metal technic on anodized aluminium. Difficult to mod. I use aftermarket inserts, made on a different process. More easy to vintagize. I got the true blue/grey look like the true old Subs and SD exposed to 30 years of UV

Comex6.jpg

Comex8.jpg

Comex9.jpg

Comex10.jpg

Comex11.jpg

Comex12.jpg

Its difficult to reproduce the reality, due to the difference of cameras used by members, sensibility -I noticed I don't get the same color if the camera is set on 100 iso or 400iso... screen calibration, etc. etc...

But my Comex now looks like a gen ; true insert and true lume colors and textures

I will re-read and edit this post if faults

I didn't talk about the pearl, I will re-consider and post pics of evolution

Edited by RolexAddict

greg_r

That looks just fantastic, RA... WOW!

avenger007

Fantastic work, RA! I think I just figured out my next birthday present....to myself. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Brightlight

Nice work RA!

RolexAddict

thanks guys for your comments,

I forgot a pic

Comex7.jpg

I confirm : the plexi dome from factory is EXACTLY like the Clark one I bought last year for 60 usd, so its not necessary to spend money for a no visual difference,

This watch will go on sale , no Clark Superdome, just the regular Asian factory. Its the same, same curve, same high, same specs, if some member wants to buy the Clark, I bought it 60usd + shipping and will sell it the same price

Ska

Love it mate. You're a true artist.

dingle
Love it mate. You're a true artist.

+1

great job RA! :)

Wiz

awesome job!

PatronSaintofChainsaws

Looking good. When will the DRSD (or even SRSD) be ready? :)

KinCaidk

RA- this looks awesome!!

Not as awesome as the GMT 1675 you sent me :) but still awesome :D

KBH

As long as it doesn't say"Oyster Perpetual Date" on it, I'm in.

AllergyDoc

Or "Tiffany". :)

Or "Cartier".

Member X

Dammit, I'm supposed to stop spending and you're tempting me with this?! ;)

ebzen02

Damn...now I have to sell all of my tat watches and some...can't wait to see the 1680 my fav sub..

GC

Think I just found my b-day present to myself...a DRSD or maybe a Great White (decisions, decisions...)

RolexAddict
Looking good. When will the DRSD (or even SRSD) be ready? :)

I think I will start very soon with Single and Double Red and Subs 1680

Or "Tiffany". :)

Or "Cartier".

Still looking for a good case background,

I am also waiting for an answer for a GMT dial production, if its positive, this will be a little revolution in the GMT rep world

Think I just found my b-day present to myself...a DRSD or maybe a Great White (decisions, decisions...)

Exellent choice GC !

I have found a pic from a gen Comex :

GenComex.jpg

and taken another pic from mine to compare,

RAComex.jpg

Perhaps mine looks to clean, but gen Comex I have handled were in perfect conditions with clean and re-polished cases. I have also re-worked on a more white pearl lume color.

Ska
:) RA thats incredible workmanship. I bow down to your skills!! :)

GC

Exellent choice GC !

Thank you RA, we will be PMing in the future at your convenience. I look forward to it!

Member X

I would just like to add, I am still loving this watch and it gets a good amount of wrist time :P :)