Sign in to follow this  
Kcore

Cool tool for Dremel

Odyseus

I got the stand and a Dremmel 4000 - They have re-designed the drill stand so the the Dremmel head is screwed into position (the old stand had a ring clamp) so it's really secure and steady.

I got the Dremmel 4000 kit including the flexible drive and now I need to find out the best polishing heads to buy :)

Kcore

I got the same redesigned stand. My Dremel screws into position too. Very secure. I ordered different buffs from Amazon. Single, double & triple stitch. I also got a load of felt, cone shaped buffs for getting into tiny spots. Most buffs came with mandrels too.,they were very reasonable.

Odyseus

Amazon (UK) ? Have you a link??

Kcore

Amazon (UK) ? Have you a link??

Sorry Ody, I'm in the U.S. but here are some links to the buffs I purchased. I'm sure you can find them or similar on Amazon's U.K. site

Felt set of 75 w/ mandrels varying shapes

http://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Wheel-Mandrel-Dremel-Rotary/dp/B0097PM17Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385148008&sr=8-3&keywords=dremel+buffing+wheel

I haven't found the original bulk stitch buffs I bought, but this is something similar.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffing-Wheels-Jewelers-Polishing-Dremel/dp/B0038SEP2U/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1385148685&sr=8-12&keywords=dremel+buffing+wheel

manodeoro

Hi

Sorry to exhume a very, very old topic, but I'd really like to get some more info about lugs drilling with a dremel on workstation.

It seems the only watches that I really want to get,16800 being my grail, are nowadays quite impossible to get or too much high priced because of rarity.

So ... I'm seeking ways to come as close as possible to those little wonders, like :

- start from an old 16610 with thin crown guards

- work the CGs a little

- lower the rehault

- drill the lugs

and finish with something not that far from a 16800

Then here we are ... DRILL THE LUGS !!!

That's why I post here cause I'm definitely a DIY man and do not really have the dough to send a watch to modders to get those lugs drilled.

To be honest I could pay for that ... but I have made the maths and according to the info I gathered : 2 watches drilled = dremel + workstation, so I would prefer to invest a little in tools so I could do the work myself (less money spent + pleasure of doing the job).

When I write "drilling lugs" I mean "starting from non drilled lugs", not from a watch with lugs already drilled (like a vintage Silix) so you just have to widen the holes.

If any of you, all seasoned members, could tell me :

- is it REALLY possible to drill lugs with a dremel on workstation

- what are the tricks to I have to know not to ruin my watches with that tool (oiling, speed, etc ...)

- etc ...

I PMed KCore but it seems he's not often on the forum and he did not read my message ... too bad.

I dont really ask for a tuto but some advices will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any member who will come there and help.

10:10 Watch Repair

Hi

Sorry to exhume a very, very old topic, but I'd really like to get some more info about lugs drilling with a dremel on workstation.

It seems the only watches that I really want to get,16800 being my grail, are nowadays quite impossible to get or too much high priced because of rarity.

So ... I'm seeking ways to come as close as possible to those little wonders, like :

- start from an old 16610 with thin crown guards

- work the CGs a little

- lower the rehault

- drill the lugs

and finish with something not that far from a 16800

Then here we are ... DRILL THE LUGS !!!

That's why I post here cause I'm definitely a DIY man and do not really have the dough to send a watch to modders to get those lugs drilled.

To be honest I could pay for that ... but I have made the maths and according to the info I gathered : 2 watches drilled = dremel + workstation, so I would prefer to invest a little in tools so I could do the work myself (less money spent + pleasure of doing the job).

When I write "drilling lugs" I mean "starting from non drilled lugs", not from a watch with lugs already drilled (like a vintage Silix) so you just have to widen the holes.

If any of you, all seasoned members, could tell me :

- is it REALLY possible to drill lugs with a dremel on workstation

- what are the tricks to I have to know not to ruin my watches with that tool (oiling, speed, etc ...)

- etc ...

I PMed KCore but it seems he's not often on the forum and he did not read my message ... too bad.

I dont really ask for a tuto but some advices will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any member who will come there and help.

use cutting oil

a dremel on a stand is not the tool for this, but a hand drill will work fine.

depending on the starting diameter you may want to drill twice and increase the diameter slowly.

quality carbide tools cut the stainless quickly.