Sign in to follow this  
Arj

Advice on getting rid of Chips

Arj

Hi All,

I recieved a milgauss recently from PWC. The watch is in good condition and I am quite happy about it. Unfortunately there was a slight chip in the casing when it arrived. Could someone give me some advice of removing this. It is slightly deep and the normal polishing cloths dont seem to be cut for the job. Anyone with some experince is appreciated, it is annoying me to bits!!

t1.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

dingle

sorry to see this. bump for AK.....someone here surely can help :(

greg_r

paging Sconey or KBH.... :(

prestigewatchco

Flat it out ans polish it. You should have just returned it unused if it arrived like that I can get brand new watches exchanged at factory

Member X

If you can be philosophical about these things, it helps - how long would it have been before you put a scratch or ding in it? I always end up doing it in about a week :P lol

Do not worry too much as it really does look very small and almost unnoticeable on the wrist, although I understand your quest for perfection :D :(

KBH

I'm afraid something like that is going to take some wet or dry sandpaper and then polishing. It would be much easier if you could take the bezel off first and then do it. What's going to be difficult is taking the chips out without making the mirror surface look distorted even when it's polished back to a perfect shine.

You need to "block sand" it with something flat till the chip disappears with some heavier sandpaper, maybe 320 or 440 grit. Then go up to 400 or 600 grit and finally with something around 800 to 1200 grit. Then polish it with a Dremel and polishing compound or maybe Cape Cod. I've never used Cape Cod so I'm not really familiar with it's capabilities.

It would be much easier to replace the bezel, I think.

AustinTech
If you can be philosophical about these things, it helps - how long would it have been before you put a scratch or ding in it? I always end up doing it in about a week :P lol

Do not worry too much as it really does look very small and almost unnoticeable on the wrist, although I understand your quest for perfection :D :(

Good advice. For reps and gens.

BTW - that second hand on the Milguase is so cool.

KBH

The second hand is cool. Unfortunately it horribly repped. The gen doesn't go at 90 degree angle like that. More like 75 - 80 degrees backwards.

When somebody pointed that out to me it kind of ruined my attraction to it.

rolex-milgauss-watch-1.jpg

narikaa

Take two shovelfulls of sharp grit and one of pebbles

Put them in a small cement mixer

Start her up and throw the watch in

A mere ten minutes later you can take it out, declare it 'vintagised' and sell it for twice what you paid

simples.jpg

AllergyDoc

When I first saw your title I thought, "Some good onion dip would make your chips disappear in a hurry."

OHMYGODITSAPANERAI
When I first saw your title I thought, "Some good onion dip would make your chips disappear in a hurry."

Thats about what I thought also. I was just going to say call your favorite deadbeat friends over, they usually can do a good job of cleaning out a kitchen pretty quickly!

Take two shovelfulls of sharp grit and one of pebbles

Put them in a small cement mixer

Start her up and throw the watch in

A mere ten minutes later you can take it out, declare it 'vintagised' and sell it for twice what you paid

simples.jpg

You sound like you have done this before!

Grymes
I'm afraid something like that is going to take some wet or dry sandpaper and then polishing. It would be much easier if you could take the bezel off first and then do it. What's going to be difficult is taking the chips out without making the mirror surface look distorted even when it's polished back to a perfect shine.

You need to "block sand" it with something flat till the chip disappears with some heavier sandpaper, maybe 320 or 440 grit. Then go up to 400 or 600 grit and finally with something around 800 to 1200 grit. Then polish it with a Dremel and polishing compound or maybe Cape Cod. I've never used Cape Cod so I'm not really familiar with it's capabilities.

It would be much easier to replace the bezel, I think.

+1 for Bezel replacement.