Sign in to follow this  
ebzen02

Nicolas Hayek Dies at 82

ebzen02

Oh! That old bastard!! Love his Breguets and what he did for that brand!!!

RIP Mr. Hayek

Baldrick

What'd he die from ?, yeah, yeah, lack of oxygen :)

ebzen02

My guess??.... He was staring at his Marie Antoinette Replica watch for way too long and he developed a brain aneurysm as a result... Old age got to his heart...

gran

Sad that the old genius is dead. He will be missed. Excentric yes. Loved money yes..but he also loved watches

Hakek.jpg

Nicolas-Hayek-thumb-450x355-2315.jpg

Hayek_L.jpg

hayek_schweiz_swatch.jpg

nicolas-hayek.jpg

Ska

R.I.P Nicholas. No matter what you think, that guy's a legend.

ebzen02

Told my wife that for our 10th wedding anniversary that I wanted the Breguet La Tradition! 6 years to go..hoping they rep that thing..but I won't hold my breath 'cos I'd die..

fakemaster

You guys do know he didn't make or create anything. He was a businessman who ran a company that happened to make watches. Actually the one thing he did have direct involvement in developing had nothing to do with that industry.

ebzen02

We know.. but he was a master at recreating a brand that was failing in the 80's...and he was passionate about his watches.....Breguet anyone?

Luthier

He created THE BRAND.

RIP, Nicolas!!!

KBH

:)

Any relation to Salma?

salma_hayek-2588.jpg

Luthier

He was Lebanese, Salma is Mexican, but, who knows, maybe... sexual relationship?

:)

By the way, her father is Mexican with Lebanese descent.

Who cares, the chick is super hot.

trailboss99
Press Release

Biel/Bienne, 28 June 2010 - With deep sadness and regret we inform you that Mr. Nicolas G. Hayek, Chairman and Delegate of the Board of Directors of The Swatch Group Ltd. unexpectedly passed away today due to heart failure during work at his beloved Swatch Group.

Mr. Nicolas G. Hayek's greatest merit was his enormous contribution to the saving of the Swiss watch industry and the foundation and the commercial development of the Swatch Group. Mr. Nicolas G. Hayek's extraordinary vision enabled him to realize and ensure the sustainability of a strong watchmaking enterprise with high Swiss added value. He is rightly recognized as a leading entrepreneur in this country.

With the right personnel decisions, Mr. Nicolas G. Hayek also ensured that his ideas and beliefs will live on and that continuity is guaranteed in regard of shareholders, Board of Directors and the Group Management Board. __________________

trailboss99

Yeah Fakey, and Henry Ford didn't make any cars either but he employed a hell of a lot of folk who did!

That makes him not one jot less passionate about what he made, just the same as Nicolas. The man single handedly revived many brands that we know and love that would otherwise be no more. Without Swatch coming along the chances are that the Swiss watchmaking industry would have disappeared for intents and purposes by now.

People were just not wearing watches before he turned them into a fashion statement once again. We owe him a hell of a lot.

Apart form that, the man just plain loved watches! He was a true enthusiast of the highest order. A lover of horology who was fortunate enough to be in a position to ensure that the industry he loved survived it's darkest hour.

Also, he was a truly nice guy, don't diminish his memory.

Col.

You guys do know he didn't make or create anything. He was a businessman who ran a company that happened to make watches. Actually the one thing he did have direct involvement in developing had nothing to do with that industry.

graman

RIP big fella......

Ye did the industry a great service.....and you revved the crap out of them...

ebzen02

He seemed to have a child-like wanderlust enthusiasm for his watches.. I admired that passion... Hope Junior continues La Tradition..he is as quirky as his father i believe..

fakemaster

No one has diminished his memory. From reading across the fora many think he was a 'watch guy'. I just pointed out as Graman, ebezen and Luthier did that he was first and foremost a businessman One who did not beat the Asians with Swiss superiority but cheap disposable watches made on an automated line. Yes that's right he saved the Swiss watch industry with QUARTZ lol!! And they are still the backbone of the company to this day along with the component sales because that's where the money is. The guy was brilliant for sure. But it is important that his other achievements like the Swiss rail reorganization and the Smart Car should be acknowledged as well.

ebzen02

+1

Luthier
No one has diminished his memory. From reading across the fora many think he was a 'watch guy'. I just pointed out as Graman, ebezen and Luthier did that he was first and foremost a businessman One who did not beat the Asians with Swiss superiority but cheap disposable watches made on an automated line. Yes that's right he saved the Swiss watch industry with QUARTZ lol!! And they are still the backbone of the company to this day along with the component sales because that's where the money is. The guy was brilliant for sure. But it is important that his other achievements like the Swiss rail reorganization and the Smart Car should be acknowledged as well.

+1

trailboss99

Oke Fakes, good points.

I had forgotten about the rail stuff as well.

Col.