Sign in to follow this  
abcdef

'all reps will have flaws of some kind'

abcdef

Hi Guys, excellent forum, and in fact i'll go and introduce myself properly in a sec...

in the meantime i have a Q about reps. Everyone says they will all have some kind of flaw, which make sense right. Can any of you rep-heads (which i will inevitably become having found this site) mention a few of the commonest flaws? How perceptible are they? Could you guys spot one on the wrist of someone on a train? The last thing I want to do is buy a rep and stink the place out! THANKS

onionbag

Hello and welcome. :)

Why would you stink the place out?

Reps are for your enjoyment, if you're worried about being called out.................buy a gen. :)

arancini

Already have concerns?

Buy a modest priced Gen.

Whilst the quality of some of these pieces are very good, they are at the end of the day Reps.

SSTEEL

Welcome to RWG :)

What reps are you interested in? Knowing this, we can advise more specifically.

zero_deficit

People in the rep community would be able to recognise if they are close enough and knew exactly what they was looking for. But for everyone else, they wouldnt be able to recognise a decent rep, nor care enough to call you out even if they could spot on.

Common flaws will vary across all brands and models

Martinjogs

As above, flaws depend on the individual model and version. Mostly it depends on how bothered you are. I'm in the mostly unconcerned camp, I've bought dozens and have my favourites but super accuracy is not my reason for liking a particular watch. As I've bought more I probably look for greater accuracy but to be honest I don't really care if the Chronos are the wrong way around or non-functional. Others of the OCD persuasion, and there are many, will hone in on any tiny perceptible flaw, a micron out here and there and will not be happy this side of a gen.

Horses for courses, really. I still can't spot most flaws until the eagle eyed members here point them out with a macro shot. It depends entirely on your own focus, for sure a half way decent rep will fool the man in the street, no problem but more likely is the man in the street won't even notice your watch!

Higs

I have reps that are very, very close to gen. You'd have to have the rep and gen in your hands to spot the difference.

Today I'm wearing an Audemars Piguet 'White Diver' rep - they even don't make a gen Diver with a white face. It doesn't 'stink' though. I'm wearing it because I like it.

Electron17

I have reps that are very, very close to gen. You'd have to have the rep and gen in your hands to spot the difference.

Today I'm wearing an Audemars Piguet 'White Diver' rep - they even don't make a gen Diver with a white face. It doesn't 'stink' though. I'm wearing it because I like it.

+1 I have also found the reps to be so close to the gen that only when they are side by side can you tell the difference. Oh and by the way, welcome to RWG.

_DC_

The biggest tell on ALL rep watches is usually the person wearing it tbh.

Other than that it's usually things like date window position or date font, and how many average people on the street would have a clue where a date window on a Nautilus should be? How many average people on the street would even know what a Nautilus was? But even if they did, it's not the date window that would give me away, it's the fact that I'm wearing a suit from Next while trying to pass off a £30k watch, that's the biggest tell, lol!

My advice, don't worry about it, very few people know/care/notice. So buy a watch coz you like it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks....... including us haha!

DC

scorpion

Well pictures speak 1000 word so here is my Scorp quick guide to not stinking out a train with a rep...............

This will not stink at all......................

Breitling Avenger Skyland (Large).JPG

This one has a slight whiff of fake about it...........

PO new Strap  (3).JPG

But this rep will stink out the entire train......................

2 shit.jpg

1 cool shades.gif

_DC_

On a side note, my advice if you're really worried about getting called out is simple........ Just buy anything other than a Rolex! No one will know what it is or how expensive it's meant to be if it's a Breitling or an Omega or a Patek Philippe. But if it's a Rolex they'll assume it's fake even if it's not, lol!

For the record I'm not knocking Rolex, I have 7 Rolex reps, but I just don't give a s***!

DC

kime

The biggest tell on ALL rep watches is usually the person wearing it tbh.

:-) probably the best point...

The answer to the original question is no we couldn't, no one could. Even the baddest of reps could not be really distinguished simply by looking at someone wearing one on the other side of the isle of a train. You would have to have it in your hands. But as quoted above if a teenager is wearing a Rolex Daytona... its a fake :-) In my mind if anyone other than a business knob or a celeb is wearing a Daytona its probably a fake (just because they are stupidly expensive). But then who really cares. Just get the watch that you think looks nice... end of story, because you will be your own critic about what's on your wrist and nobody else will care.

Realism

all humans are flawed

_DC_

as quoted above if a teenager is wearing a Rolex Daytona... its a fake :-) In my mind if anyone other than a business knob or a celeb is wearing a Daytona its probably a fake (just because they are stupidly expensive)

Oi, I'm a business knob, be nice!!

DC

fellowsis
Well pictures speak 1000 word so here is my Scorp quick guide to not stinking out a train with a rep...............

This will not stink at all......................

Breitling Avenger Skyland (Large).JPG

This one has a slight whiff of fake about it...........

PO new Strap  (3).JPG

But this rep will stink out the entire train......................

2 shit.jpg

1 cool shades.gif

The flagpole 1's on the skylNd scorp! Nah, love my v4, hardly a tell to it.

Panolex

Hi Welcome :-)

The biggest flaw in my opinion has always been the quality of the straps and bracelets.

Bosox

Yesterday my wife and I were at a bar when a young fellow takes a seat next to me. As always, I'm trying to get a glimpse at his watch, I couldn't read the face and I am not astute enought to recognize it, but I would guess it was a Tag. I think I know a bit more than the average guy but to me, it was a nice watch, rep or gen. I didn't ask to examine it or if it was real. As others have said, most people won't notice and won't care. Don't wear a rep into an AD's shop or send it there for repairs. Common sense must prevail. Relax and enjoy your reps, as you are likely to be the only one who cares. Or buy a gen and be done with it.

dalboy

Welcome to the forum..

Having read your post i have checked my collection and in the absence of any odour know not to which you refer ! :giggle: ..

Maybe its your deodorant. or the lack of :lol:

Dal.

BentleySharp

As above, flaws depend on the individual model and version. Mostly it depends on how bothered you are. I'm in the mostly unconcerned camp, I've bought dozens and have my favourites but super accuracy is not my reason for liking a particular watch. As I've bought more I probably look for greater accuracy but to be honest I don't really care if the Chronos are the wrong way around or non-functional. Others of the OCD persuasion, and there are many, will hone in on any tiny perceptible flaw, a micron out here and there and will not be happy this side of a gen.

Horses for courses, really. I still can't spot most flaws until the eagle eyed members here point them out with a macro shot. It depends entirely on your own focus, for sure a half way decent rep will fool the man in the street, no problem but more likely is the man in the street won't even notice your watch!

I kind of thought the same thing before i bought my first gen. i thought people were going to be staring at it and i was very self conscious about it. Then i realized, most people dont even take notice of the fact you're wearing a watch, nevermind distinguishing between a rep and a gen. besides, if you're concerned that someone will call you out, most of the better reps are indistinguishable from the gen to %99.95 of the population, unless you take the caseback off and set it next to a gen for comparison, and even then some people couldnt tell the difference. dont sweat it.

Odyseus

The a Breitling reps are pretty accurate, but top end reps of Omega PO and Rolex Subs are pretty darn close to gen.

Personally, I stay clear of reps where the gen would be a ridiculous price (Eg Hublots) I just feel silly wearing these?

BentleySharp

The a Breitling reps are pretty accurate, but top end reps of Omega PO and Rolex Subs are pretty darn close to gen.

Personally, I stay clear of reps where the gen would be a ridiculous price (Eg Hublots) I just feel silly wearing these?

Also, Agreed. I try to only buy reps of watches that i could actually afford the genuine. I know this isn't realistic for everyone, but i would feel kind of like a fraud walking around with a $200,000 watch. Some people dont feel that way though and that's cool too. One of the nice things about buying reps is that you aren't nescisarily confined to buying watches within your price range. You can shop for what styles you like and find the watch that really speaks to you, and not have your choices be restricted by prohibitive costs.

NFleischer

Hi and welcome. I collect both reps and gens and I don't go crazy trying to mod every rep to be 99.9% Gen.

Buy what you like, as has been said, most ;'civilians' will not know the difference anyway. I agree Breitlings are a good start. The reps are very well made

and the Gens are not super expensive like AP, PP, etc.

cogwatch

I do find that pretty much no one knows or gives a crap whether I'm wearing a watch let alone what kind of watch and is it a rep or gen.

No matter how cocky you feel wearing your hottest rep or gen, pulling up your sleeve a bit so it can be seen, holding your wrist in "viewing" position, still not a single person will notice.

So, you buy what you like and what YOU like to stare at. I have 60+ watches, reps and gens, and some of them I just can't stop ogling on my own wrist because they are more works of art to me than watches. And that includes some reps that are highly similar to the gen, but some that aren't so "perfect". But what is prefect: compared to a gen or in and of itself? Since I generally don't wear a rep and a gen side by side on my wrist, I tend toward in and of itself. It's like one of my favorite sayings on here: "Is that a real watch? No, it's a fucking tattoo!!!". My reps, perfect to the gen or not, are real watches, not fucking tattoos!!!!! And I have never cleared out a train car, well with a rep anyway :-)

JohnG

Could you guys spot one on the wrist of someone on a train?

They are much easier to spot on a bus or a plane, but on a boat or a train it is hard to spot them. No one really knows why, that's just the way it is.