Sign in to follow this  
abcdef

'all reps will have flaws of some kind'

rete

Could you guys spot one on the wrist of someone on a train?

They are much easier to spot on a bus or a plane, but on a boat or a train it is hard to spot them. No one really knows why, that's just the way it is.

:lmao: :lmao:

:lmao:

Chairman7w

Some great answers here in this thread. Awesome advice and comments.

Rockzz22

if you buy the watch from one of the TD it want stink up any room.

wristmojo

Quite a bit of wisdom here...

and I agree: Buy anything other than a Rolex and nobody will think twice.

If they think about it at all.

BentleySharp

, but some that aren't so "perfect". But what is prefect: compared to

Nice.

abcdef

i really appreciate the answers here, guys: a very interesting insight into rep-appreciation. some good laughs too. a lot to dwell on at leisure - what an awesome hobby this rep biz is already turning out to be.

SSTEEL you asked which reps i'm interested in. as it happens i'd discounted a rolex for the reasons above: coz no-one not even my grandma who loves me would believe it was real. i figured to get something that if it was a gen would be in my own price range, albeit if i saved up like a monk for a year or something. i was thinking of one of the longines from kingwatch or an omega from lawrence. that said, i haven't scanned everything and everything i see, i like. anyway, what is your reaction to my longines or omega answer?

rete - nice link.

Panolex - interesting point about the strap.

interesting about Breitling too, maybe worth considering. which of the TDs does the best of these? also: is it really a question of luck due to there being no CC that your watch might or might not hit the spot. what is the percentage of success to fail these days? Thanks

trailboss99

Most if not all dealers will get the Breitling for you. Try MarvellousReplica for a start.

QC actually does take place (by the dealer not the maker) but stuff still fails. Not often tho, the odds are in your favor.

If you buy a chronopgraph style watch (ie: with stopwatch function) chances are it will have a 7750 in it so make sure you read the "care and feeding" post here: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=6101

abcdef

thank you

P4GTR

Most of the reps around here are not watches that can be called out from looking at a persons wrist. These watches would have to be taken off and handed over for close-up inspection. Not to just anyone either, it would take handing over to one of our forum members, or a real basement-dwelling WIS, or gen/rep side by side to be able to tell. Sometimes even then, you cannot tell. At all.

There is nothing like seeing a super-rep for the first time. Most of the watches not only look like their gen counterpart, but are built similarly and function identically, all the way down to the movements. Many members swap gen parts into their reps, these are called "frankens".

You are going to be astonished at what you have stumbled upon here. Welcome :)

abcdef

sounds pretty awesome mate.

i have another question: are simpler looking watches easy to rep than complicated ones. because those breitling ones, which are considered good reps, are actually complicated looking on the face i.e. they have a lot of stuff going on. whereas the IWC portuguese, which i love (who doesn't?), is kind of 'simpler looking', but doesn't get a good review anywhere.

the specific watch i'm thinking of is: http://greatasia3368.com/omega/seamaster/omega_490_400OMG.htm

i would categorise (as a naive noob, no doubt) this as a 'simple' looking watch. as such i thought it would be easier to rep.

jeffw69

They are much easier to spot on a bus or a plane, but on a boat or a train it is hard to spot them. No one really knows why, that's just the way it is.

:lmao2: Holy Fuck John!!!!!! I just spit my coffee!!!!!

dingle

:lol:

greg_r

I cannot spot them on a train

I cannot spot them in the rain

I always spot them on a bus

because they always make a fuss

I do not notice on a tram

I cannot tell when eating spam

But I notice Chronoswiss

When I go to take a piss

I do not look for watches when

I shovel shit in John's pig pen

I do not like those Hublots Ma'am

I do not like them, Sam I am.

elp
:clap:

twofake
On a side note, my advice if you're really worried about getting called out is simple........ Just buy anything other than a Rolex! No one will know what it is or how expensive it's meant to be if it's a Breitling or an Omega or a Patek Philippe. But if it's a Rolex they'll assume it's fake even if it's not, lol!

For the record I'm not knocking Rolex, I have 7 Rolex reps, but I just don't give a s***!

DC

How true about the Rolex!

I have a few gens but none are Rolexes as people would think they are fake.

I met a guy I went to Uni with and he was wearing a green Rolex ( a really boring looking non diver model). I had to ask him if it was real.

I was real but boring .

A rep Omega Planet ocean would have looked better and I might not have asked if it was real... Because it wasn't a Rolex .

marressey

On a side note, my advice if you're really worried about getting called out is simple........ Just buy anything other than a Rolex! No one will know what it is or how expensive it's meant to be if it's a Breitling or an Omega or a Patek Philippe. But if it's a Rolex they'll assume it's fake even if it's not, lol!

For the record I'm not knocking Rolex, I have 7 Rolex reps, but I just don't give a s***!

DC

Couldn't agree with you more. As long as it's not a Rolex - people will not know (or care). But with Rolexes it's different. No matter how great your rep is, people will automatically assume that it's "a fake" (their term). Because it's the only luxury brand most people know (of), and it's also a brad that they know to be expensive. I mean I have a BK Sub and it's very close to a gen - but it's the only one in my collection I feel uncomfortable wearing. With my Omegas, Breitlings and IWC:s (and the TAG Heur Aquaracer I have coming in) people don't know or care. The most comments you're likely to get is maybe a "hey, nice watch!". Never "oooh, is that a IWC? Is it REAL?".

Banner

I have gens that work well in AD shops I found. A Jean Richard Diverscope drives them to give me hard bound books free, the Tutimas

Like Pacific and DI300 work well too. Mainly they are ever found as reps. Well, I have not seen them anywhere

For a reasonable amount of money a Tutima can be found on the bay, I have bought and flipped a dozen and know this is possible.

Not only profitable but a learning experieince. Harder to do this year as they have become more popular I guess.

But really, my favorite right now is a 177 with custom strap. A 24x24 custom leather, 5 mm thick transforms the watch into a thing of beauty. The strap is the star on first glance if done right. I just wear it and don't make a show, yet it gets more looks and comments that y $3000 watches. Amazing fact. Enjoy this, don't feel guilty. Look at it as you are smarter than the average guy who thinks the reps are $20 toys of yesteryear. In my mind, many of the top end reps from a TD are the best buys one can get today.

Bash64

I have reps that are very, very close to gen. You'd have to have the rep and gen in your hands to spot the difference.

Today I'm wearing an Audemars Piguet 'White Diver' rep - they even don't make a gen Diver with a white face. It doesn't 'stink' though. I'm wearing it because I like it.

+1 I have also found the reps to be so close to the gen that only when they are side by side can you tell the difference. Oh and by the way, welcome to RWG.

+1 with the addition that you need to be pretty educated on what you are looking at. After many, many hours of reading and studying here, you may be able to tell the difference with your favourite brands.

Some of them may feel a little different when winding or setting, but differences are not easy to see. My friends with gens are always amazed at the quality of my reps and the occasional time we compare same gen to same rep, they are unable to see the differences holding them both side by side. I need to point ou what they should look for and then then, without magnification, they have a few struggles.

In all cases, they inevitably start buying reps.