Sign in to follow this  
deju

Panerai case back how to close/seal?

deju

Bad start to the week hope someone on here can help!

I was picking up my watch up off the table and for whatever reason the case back has come off.

I hadn't tried to remove it etc simply picked it off the table to find the case back lying on the table.

I have notice what look to be 3 dots of glue residue on the under side of the case back and that even with attempting to hand tighten (clockwise?) that it still seems to pop off.

I was wondering if I could be doing something wrong, would getting a panerai case back tool help tighten it or will I need to add more glue and hope for the best?

Cheers for any advice in advance :(

Mechwarrior

never glued one

SSTEEL

Where did you get the PAM from, and how much was it?

Knowing the answer to the above may help us help you quicker, and save us all time ;)

dalboy

GLUE !! WTF

Pics .....

Dal.

deju

Will take some when I get home from work :)

Wriggles

Hmm, a dodgy case or caseback that was tooled incorrectly or had the threads stripped by someone, so used glue instead....not a good find....

deju

GLUE !! WTF

Pics .....

Dal.

It looks like 3-4 small dots (as if applied by cocktailstick/pin) on the outer rim.

narikaa

Spot weld is better

deju

Caseback image (showing what looks to be glue dot residue?):

20131029_185121.JPG

It's a DSN 177H.

20131029_185419.JPG

BigsCG

That sucks! can you tell if the case threads are stripped or is it the case back? In my experience, you should be able to hand tighten and it should stay on w/ no issue. looks like glue dots to me too. Even if they both have threads, you may have a caseback that is too small for the case. There are slight differences between case sets and versions from DSN, Jackson, River, Noob, etc.... I would definitely have a chat w/ the bloke you bought it from and get some more info.

Cynikal.Mindset

DA FUCK IS THE O-RING??

SSTEEL

Where did you buy this from?

deju

I got it from m2m it originated from RG.

I removed the glue residue and can tighten it with my fingers. The case stays on and feels tight but if I then wiggle the hex part of the case back in a left right or up down motion it does work loose.

Has anyone ever used loctite?

I'm wondering if a bit loctite on the thread and a new oring gasket might help keep it tight if I use a caseback tool to complete it

TheInthusiest

DA FUCK IS THE O-RING??

+1

dingle

Use locktite blue.....

It's still in a red tube, but it says "blue". Use a toothpick to apply. Very little is needed.

dingle

Yep..missing the O ring as well

gottahaverolex

If you can get a oring for it the problem will be solved. The metal on metal won't stay tight but the oring will keep everything tight. Also buy some silicone grease specifically made for waterproofing watches and lube the oring up before installing it.

gottahaverolex

Don't use loctite on it! If you think it's the completely wrong case back you should email David and see if he can get you the correct one along with the oring. He was very helpful getting me replacement parts for his EGI I fixed for a member.

gottahaverolex

If you want to send it to me I'll get it sorted for you free of charge. Just pay for the parts and shipping.

dingle

Listen to GHR, he knows more about than I do.....and a generous offer to boot!

gottahaverolex
Listen to GHR, he knows more about than I do.....and a generous offer to boot!

Thanks Ding, sometimes it's easier to have someone that has dealings with David handle something like this. It can be frustrating trying to get something like this handled. I personally love the hunt and the fulfillment of helping a member :D

deju

Thanks Gottahaverolex, I'm in the UK so the customs risk would worry me too much haha! The help an generosity both in knowledge and kind from members on this site is second to none and very appreciated!

I'm going to order an O-ring and see if that helps if not then it's definitely time to source a new caseback from David.

Again thanks everyone!

gottahaverolex

Ah! Damn. Ok then, I don't blame you. David will be very helpful just keep the questions simple. Shpd be easily remedied.

Ah! Damn. Ok then, I don't blame you. David will be very helpful just keep the questions simple. Should be easily remedied.

Edited by gottahaverolex

SSTEEL

For the third time now, WHERE DID YOU GET THIS REP?

The answer to this question is needed. I am guessing a non-TD, or Canal st, hence the glue, lack of o-ring, and whatnot.

Edited by SSTEEL

trailboss99

For the third time now, WHERE DID YOU GET THIS REP?

The answer to this question is needed. I am guessing a non-TD, or Canal st, hence the glue, lack of o-ring, and whatnot.

He answered ya dope!

I got it from m2m it originated from RG.

Kinda explains everything yes? Someone has striped either the back or the case, glued it together and on sold it to negate his losses. Not cool.