greg_r

The Rep Watch Fora: A History of RWG and those who came before...

greg_r

:lol: think of it as devolution in action....

Firstwave

This brought back a lot of memories.  I left the forums around 2007 because there was so much flaming and fighting that it wasn't much fun anymore.  I decided to come back after all these years  to see what's new and improved and glad to see the boards seem much more civil now.  

cosmic2000

Hi to all

This is an interesting story even though I did not unterstand everything. My English is not good enough to follow all the details.

Did I understand it right, that RWG.bz and RWG.cc are sort of "cousins" having the same origins? But both have develloped individually in two different ways? In fact it is confusing :-)

Cheers c2000

jackmac

Thanks I enjoyed that 

CheesyChris

that was some interesting reed

splke

Oboe? 

MetalMickey
20 minutes ago, splke said:

Oboe? 

Pink oboe? Or skin flute?

Aren

This topic deserves a bump for all that has come before and all who are yet to come...

Mange4953

Been scouting this forum last couple of months. Enjoying the reading and this was a interesting article. Nice too really see the history of this forum and of course a great way to remember a member I never had the opportunity to learn to know. 

Golfer130i

A very interesting read and one which I will probably have to repeat if it is to sink in fully. Newbies like me tend to just register and merrily potter about in forums without realising what goes into setting up and running them. So I give to those of you that set up this place many years ago and continue to run it today my utmost respect and support. It also highlighted to me what a great loss you all must have felt in losing the very man that created this thread. Unfortunately I joined too recently to have had any contact with Gary but I certainly already feel that a part of him will always be here.  

Edited by Golfer130i
changed Greg to Gary’s proper name.

BackInHisBox

Wow what a gigantic melodramedy that was. Reminds me a bit of my time on WUS, a moderator there whom actually had personality got sick of thI gas and branched off to start his own. He and I had some very small personal exchanges and I bought a watch from him. He invited myself, a handful of moderators and those whom he liked to join his group. We all did. His name I think was Yamahaki or something like that. A motorcycle guy for sure, clearly. I can’t recall the group he started, but I think it was YK3 our Yanahaki3 or something like that. It was a much better group, but one of the moderators, the only female one, took offense to something sexist I joked about, he asked me to apologize to her and I told them all to suck my dick and never looked back. Unfortunately anyone who went to join his forum were automatically banned from WUS because of it. I tried a few others, but none of them had the following and action that either WUS or Yamahaki did, and the couple UK based ones showed me how much I dislike and clash with British/European humor and personalities.

Not that any of this matters to any of you, just got me to reminiscing. Fond memories of my watch obsession beginnings.

russ99

That's brilliant, I've been around for a good few years now and watched things from afar.

Had a break from watches for a while but always come back here/Rwg (despite my measly post count in both)

x2o

Wow, this was a super interesting read! I got curious as I've noticed TB99 was an admin on RWI and here as well, and between that and RWGJr I had to know more! I've been on RWI for a while now but did not know all of the gritty details. Crazy how much information on reps are easily had now compared to the struggle that must have been in the early 00's.

billywhiz

Rwg v1 was good in the day :  )

I remember umming & aring over putting my name down for the rwg watch too.

mellons

Great read. When is part 2 coming out?

KayserSoeze

Very nice read. I'm on and off on this hobby of ours, dropping in once in a while.  A lot of new names, some old familiar ones. Sorry to hear TTK has passed on.  What happened to Eddie Lee, RedBig Joe?  I'm re-familiarizing myself to the rep world. 

johnnyboy1
On 09/02/2017 at 05:18, movingshadow said:

why strangle? without us the world would have never associated the word ASSHAT with this....

asshat.jpg?w=570

Very interesting read...lots I did not know. 
I showed up late to the old Rwg... bought a few watches... made a few friends.. had myself a great time in the bin. The end is a bit blurry, we were running around our mod sub forum getting to know each other wondering what to do... I remember Omni making a substantial financial contribution to Blade to keep the place going. Which it did for a while. Blade running off with watch funds from Members is surprising and disappointing. 
The fact that a lot of you are still here connected is great... nice to see familiar names and avatars. 

Movingshadow “les nuits” Nightmares on wax... every time I hear it ... it’s you. 

Gran, whatever it was... let it go. Life’s too short. 

peace out. 

Edited by johnnyboy1
  • Like 2

Thinwrist

I have been visiting here more often. As with most interests there are forums related to them. Some good, some not so much, I consider this one of the good ones.Interesting read on how this one got where it is. Thanks for having me, I plan to stick around a while.

Watcher71

Johnny, is that really you? My loony bin comrade? Hope all is well.  Badger badger badger.  

Mystery Shopper
On 15/10/2020 at 05:54, johnnyboy1 said:

Omni making a substantial financial contribution to Blade to keep the place going. Which it did for a while.

Omni still drops in every now and then. Years ago, he needed a distraction and spent time here on a thread started by Balad (Ted) which was a 'where in the world' thread. An obscure pic was posted by someone and others had to guess where it was. Omni was a genius at that game.

jcagara08

okay OGs I know inflation is a beach but can we request or petition rep makers/factories to lower down their prices?

Foxindebox
14 minutes ago, jcagara08 said:

okay OGs I know inflation is a beach but can we request or petition rep makers/factories to lower down their prices?

We are but a drop in the ocean to the factories. Even if all of the forums were up in arms, not a single fuck would be given...

• Like 2

Flinnt

I get the impression they’re selling more reps than ever right now so there’s no chance on prices dropping. When demand is high...keep increasing prices is the usual business model. 

jcagara08
12 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

We are but a drop in the ocean to the factories. Even if all of the forums were up in arms, not a single fuck would be given...

okay I have been in the rep game for a while, at least they should have had released a proper Omega Moonwatch speedy yeah?

Foxindebox
Just now, jcagara08 said:

okay I have been in the rep game for a while, at least they should have had released a proper Omega Moonwatch speedy yeah?

This is true, however it would need a clone movement to be developed in order to get the correct sub-dial spacing. Maybe it’s not worth the development cost as it really wouldn’t be much use in any other watch? 

Who knows... I’m sure if it would be profitable, they would be on it. Maybe there isn’t the demand for speedy’s that there is for Daytona’s and the money is better spent there?