greg_r

The Rep Watch Fora: A History of RWG and those who came before...

trailboss99

Could someone make a thread about the RWG watches history? :P

Sure:

There was this one:

rwgwatch-151212.JPG

And then there was this one that had 'RWG' engraved on the back:

rwg1.jpg

The end.

Not at all, you forgot this one:

IMG_0644.jpg

Frankt8242

Could someone make a thread about the RWG watches history? :P

Sure:

There was this one:

rwgwatch-151212.JPG

And then there was this one that had 'RWG' engraved on the back:

rwg1.jpg

The end.

Not at all, you forgot this one:

IMG_0644.jpg

You missed mentioning the multiple tubes of KY that were needed during those "episodes".... :giggle: :giggle:

dvn

Nice thread

N.Rico

interesting read ,thanks

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Fascinating read.... Thank you for the forum... without which I would have either...

1.... been skanked out of a shed load of money

2. Not have my beautiful rep collection

ag69

What a great read..!!

Nice to get some idea of how the board developed into the success its enjoys today, tempered with the hard work and dedication of all those involved..

The attitude of moderation in this place i think !! is second to none.

Well done all involved, and thanks for giving us a top class forum to enjoy today. :thumbsup: ..

Thanks Greg for all your tiresome dedication.

Dal.

+1

gpuck

Hello All,

I have been away for a while but something told me to visit the site and I am happy I did! This is a great read and brings back many memories of the old days. I was part of the group that bought into the RWG Collaboration I watch. I was lucky enough to receive mine even though it was DOA! After a couple of years of it sitting in the box I took it to my local watch guy who was able to fix it and it has been running like a champ ever since. I'm no photographer but I wanted to quickly add some pics to the mix. These are with a cell phone so excuse the crappy shots but I thought it would be interesting for folks to see what we received and how it looked. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Gpuck

I hope this link works!!!

20140107_222937

honeybear

Thanks for the interesting history lesson.

Mazz

Nice clasp on the original watch

dingle

Hello All,

I have been away for a while but something told me to visit the site and I am happy I did! This is a great read and brings back many memories of the old days. I was part of the group that bought into the RWG Collaboration I watch. I was lucky enough to receive mine even though it was DOA! After a couple of years of it sitting in the box I took it to my local watch guy who was able to fix it and it has been running like a champ ever since. I'm no photographer but I wanted to quickly add some pics to the mix. These are with a cell phone so excuse the crappy shots but I thought it would be interesting for folks to see what we received and how it looked. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Gpuck

I hope this link works!!!

http://www.flickr.co...157639539229055

thanks for posting mate and welcome back to the nuthouse :)

JohnG

Here you go:

11830621843_bad2e21dc7_h.jpg

cb_5150

Whatta great read....

vilan

I feel like I just took a trip down "Memory Lane". As one who was there from the delivery of the baby, and have been lurking on all of the sites since, I can attest to the accuracy of this history. This web site will soon be entering what I predict will be a new focus. There are now web crawling services that search for rep web pages, and bounty hunter law firms that get paid for the number of web sites they can crush, the middlemen dealers will probably find it too hard to stay in business since they will be forced to become gypsies. That means that the factories will end up selling direct. However, the Asian factories are not tuned into the features buyers find valuable, and my hunch is that they will fail to provide buying tools such as great photos of the different angles and key information about the changes in the newest iteration of previously issued reps. If I am correct, the buyers will need a second source for information and here is where the grass roots can help by sharing what they know about the products. This also will give us a chance to tell the factories about flaws in reps that if corrected, would make them look more like their genuine counterparts. Again, this site could fill a new service by being the coordinator of suggestions and requests.

Over the years that I have been a collector, I have met the general managers of a few factories. They are getting more precise in making the watches, but the people they rely on to tell them which models to make, and the designers they use could use help from the customers. We shall see rather quickly if my predictions are on the mark.

But for today, let me join those in thanking all of the people who keep this website healthy.

Mystery Shopper

Great to see you around RWG, vilan.

wtcf90

Ha brilliant - reads like a Hollyoaks episode. Please to have found this forum, had nothing but good encounters with members so far

Nisv

Interesting read, thanks for sharing Vilan :)

RUSH2112
I feel like I just took a trip down "Memory Lane". As one who was there from the delivery of the baby, and have been lurking on all of the sites since, I can attest to the accuracy of this history. This web site will soon be entering what I predict will be a new focus. There are now web crawling services that search for rep web pages, and bounty hunter law firms that get paid for the number of web sites they can crush, the middlemen dealers will probably find it too hard to stay in business since they will be forced to become gypsies. That means that the factories will end up selling direct. However, the Asian factories are not tuned into the features buyers find valuable, and my hunch is that they will fail to provide buying tools such as great photos of the different angles and key information about the changes in the newest iteration of previously issued reps. If I am correct, the buyers will need a second source for information and here is where the grass roots can help by sharing what they know about the products. This also will give us a chance to tell the factories about flaws in reps that if corrected, would make them look more like their genuine counterparts. Again, this site could fill a new service by being the coordinator of suggestions and requests.

Over the years that I have been a collector, I have met the general managers of a few factories. They are getting more precise in making the watches, but the people they rely on to tell them which models to make, and the designers they use could use help from the customers. We shall see rather quickly if my predictions are on the mark.

But for today, let me join those in thanking all of the people who keep this website healthy.

If they need us to tell them why the watch doesn't look like gen I guess that destroys the myth of "replicated from a genuine watch sample, all parts interchangeable with gen" myth?

trailboss99

vilan! Good to see you around mate.

kewrock

Hey, site Noob here.

I hadn't bookmarked this site when I joined this afternoon. So when I wanted to visit tonight, I just searched RWG Forums figuring how many could there be? It brought me to www.rwgforum.net. After repetedly trying to log in I realised the logo was different, and I remember the very green look of this forum.

Crazy. There seems to be alternate sites to everything about replica watches. I have really never run into this before.

jkerouac

This thread was incredibly helpful. I bought my first rep almost 10 years, a Speedmaster that I still own and that still runs well. I also have an RWG Collaboration 1 "LimitEd Edition" (026 out of 100) that still runs like a a charm. I remember Gran -- I think I coined the term "Gran Master" for the Collaboration1 -- and Rya, and Dave Gates, Eddie Lee, TTK, and numerous others. Haven't bought or sold a watch in years, but almost all of my reps are still running well. That's an impressive record considering only a few were serviced (by Ziggy).

gran

Here you go:

11830621843_bad2e21dc7_h.jpg

Damn it looks great that RWG granmaster. too bad only about 50 out of 100 pieces made it to its owners back in 2004/5.

Clermont

I always wondered how it all started.

trailboss99

This thread was incredibly helpful. I bought my first rep almost 10 years, a Speedmaster that I still own and that still runs well. I also have an RWG Collaboration 1 "LimitEd Edition" (026 out of 100) that still runs like a a charm. I remember Gran -- I think I coined the term "Gran Master" for the Collaboration1 -- and Rya, and Dave Gates, Eddie Lee, TTK, and numerous others. Haven't bought or sold a watch in years, but almost all of my reps are still running well. That's an impressive record considering only a few were serviced (by Ziggy).

Cool! I have Gran's original prototype (not quite the same) but if you have the box as well and ever want to sell the watch and box let me know.

Phil G

Great read, thank you.

ReplicaFromDownunder

Very good read. Thanks for sharing