Sign in to follow this  
E-man82

Minute Repeaters

E-man82

I have grown to appreciate the different functions of watches rather then just the brands, and would like to own at least one in every category from your most basic through Perpetual Calendars and up to the holy grail Tourbillons.

My next steps is a Minute Repeater, for those newbies who are unfamiliar with Minute Repeaters:

Repeater (horology) From Wikipedia,

A repeater is a complication in a mechanical watch that audibly chimes the hours and often minutes at the press of a button. There are many types of repeater, from the simple repeater which merely strikes the number of hours, to the minute repeater which chimes the time down to the minute, using separate tones for hours, quarter hours, and minutes. They originated before widespread artificial illumination, to allow the time to be determined in the dark,and were also used by the visually impaired.

Question @ $280, could this be the most affordable Minute Repeater on the market?

Invicta 10915 Minute Repeater

Invicta_Minute_Repeater_01_zpsc386b2d6.jpg

Invicta_Minute_Repeater_02_zpsf4b988b5.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_3987wt_1398

Edited by E-man82

fetasigma

nice watch, it might be the cheapest and it is nice looking, but a minute repeater in a quartz watch is not all that amazing...now a mechanical minute repeater.........wow

E-man82

examples?

Mechwarrior

not in this price range

E-man82

The best of both worlds a Tourbillon-Minute Repeater and only $750K, I will put that Patel Philippe 5016 on my wish list for XMAS, lol

Edited by E-man82

headhunt3r

nice watch, it might be the cheapest and it is nice looking, but a minute repeater in a quartz watch is not all that amazing...now a mechanical minute repeater.........wow

+1

Too bad mechanical minute repeaters are going to be at least 100 times the price of that invicta

E-man82

off the subject but for the record its called "TOUBILLON" and not "TOURBILLION" correct?

RichardMiami

Tourbillon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Tourbillon (disambiguation).

280px--Stuhrling_Tourbillon_Movement.ogv.jpg

magnify-clip.png

Stührling Tourbillon Movement (high resolution).

[/left]

[/center]

In horology, a tourbillon (/tʊərˈbɪljən/; French: [tuʁbijɔ̃] "whirlwind") is an addition to the mechanics of a watch escapement. Developed around 1795 by the French-Swiss watchmaker Abraham-Louis Breguet from an earlier idea by the English chronometer maker John Arnold, a tourbillon aims to counter the effects of gravity by mounting the escapement and balance wheel in a rotating cage, to negate the effect of gravity when the timepiece (thus the escapement) is stuck in a certain position.

Originally an attempt to improve accuracy, tourbillons are still included in some expensive modern watches as a novelty and demonstration of watchmaking virtuosity. The mechanism is usually exposed on the watch's face to show it off.

black263

Tourbillon is correct.

machiavegli

My watchmaker/repairer in San Diego owns a vintage PP minute repeater... The chime sounds amazing.

I'd love to have one.

-Mach

fetasigma

problem is your not going to find a cheap mechanical minute repeater...on a quartz you call it an alarm...lol

black263

True. On a quarttz it's likely to be a mini-speaker with electronic noise, whereas a mechanical has a real hammer that hits a real gong.

albert12

Nice Invicta...I never thought I could said that...

E-man82

love the factoids, I need to see it in person to cast my final vote.

narikaa

Sorry but minute repeater, quartz, & f*****g Invicta should not appear in the same sentence

fetasigma

Repeater (horology) From Wikipedia,

A repeater is a complication in a mechanical watch that audibly chimes the hours and often minutes at the press of a button. There are many types of repeater, from the simple repeater which merely strikes the number of hours, to the minute repeater which chimes the time down to the minute, using separate tones for hours, quarter hours, and minutes. They originated before widespread artificial illumination, to allow the time to be determined in the dark,and were also used by the visually impaired.

just to point out i agree with reg, even if you take out invicta minute repeater and quartz dont go together.....as highlighted above it is a complication of a mechanical watch....

RichardMiami

1. The term Minute Repeater is only used on Mechanical Watches and is generally considered one of the most difficult and elegant of complications.

2. There are TWO different types of Minute Repeaters:

a. Grande sonnerie(French, meaning 'grand strike') is a complication in a mechanical watch or clock which combines a quarter striking mechanism with a repeater. On the quarter-hour, it strikes the number of hours audibly on a gong, and then the number of quarter-hours since the hour on a second gong. In addition it can strike the hours on demand, at the push of a button.[1][2] The term is sometimes used erroneously for a mere quarter striking mechanism.[3]

It is more complex than the

b. Petite sonnerie, which merely strikes the hours on the hour and the quarter hours on the quarter, with no repeater function.[4]

fetasigma

here is a video on patek repeaters

Jase

WTF is with that fleabay seller?

Shipping to: Worldwide

Excludes: Russian Federation, Sweden, Malta, Estonia, United Kingdom, Finland, France, Germany, Austria, Greece, Netherlands, Belgium, Hungary, Bulgaria, Poland, Ireland, Portugal, Italy, Romania, Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Lithuania, Spain, South Africa, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, China, Korea, South, Australia, Canada

Yeah, worldwide eh? :rolleyes::stupid:

Urrrrk Invicta.

Meh.

E-man82

so a quartz minute repeater is an oxymoron :stars: , kind of like a Genuine Replica, that bites, going have to keep looking for one that doesn't a cost house.

Edited by E-man82

James.

Someone was selling a gen repeated movement, along w/ a gen hublot chrono movement, and richard Mille movement over on HF a month or so ago.I suspect that whoever bought the repeater has now listed it in either of the above two links I posted.

cwazy1

jesus, that #2 link is amazing. only 2600$ too!

My only worry is that seller doesnt really describe anything.. wouldnt trust him

yawn

The cheapest real minute repeater cost about 10k, from nivel