Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Blue Cerachome Submariner from BK

Member X

dscf4722.jpg

I have always loved this watch, from the moment it came out :)

I just love the bold blue contrasted against the simplicity of the plain oyster bracelet, be it the white gold of the gen or the SS of the rep!

I always fancied it and when BK started offering it I simply had to jump in ;)

This rep is available from all of the dealers as it comes from the Noobmariner factory, but BK adds an extra level to it by ensuring it's a swiss movement and also swapping out the datewheel for one that is accurate to gen. You can read his post about his mods here: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6181

It is, of course, more money than the straight-from-the-factory version, but I am a bit of a perfectionist sometimes, and the non-centred DW on some numbers would have bugged me! lol :D

So far I'm extremely happy with it. It has a great weight (despite not being anywhere near as heavy as the gen white gold version) and it feels amazingly well built. Compared to the rattly, light, nasty tin efforts that most people would think a rep was made of, this is leagues apart :)

I do want to get this waterproof-tested at some point as I wanted to wear it to the beach this weekend just gone but didn't want to risk swimming in it! I'd be amazed if it doesn't pass the test, it feels tight as a nun's chuff :D lol

Anyway, the good bits!

The lume is excellent, very long lasting on the dial and long lasting on the hands. (The dial will naturally lume for longer as there is more lume material there than on the hands.) As BK points out, it is slightly strange in that if you charge it with different light sources, it glows slightly different colours!

For example, the first pic below is straight after a charge from an LED torch (a slightly long exposure though, it's not quite that bright), the second one is once it's faded a little, and the last one is once it's faded a bit more - you can see how it changes from a green to a blue colour! If you charge it from the sun it's bright blue straight away, which I guess is what you want if you want accuracy to gen :D

dscf4739.jpg

dscf4740i.jpg

dscf4744.jpg

The sweep is smooooooooooth, you would never get called out on it.

The glidelock clasp is great, infinitely adjustable and quick and easy to re-size if you're moving from the hot outside to a cool room, where your wrists are going to shrink a little bit lol

The dial printing is excellent, and the lume texture on the hands and dial is good too IMO. The crown screws down smoothly and tightly.

dscf4729.jpg

dscf4724h.jpg

dscf4724cr.jpg

The Pearl is nice.

dscf4725.jpg

The endlinks are tight!

dscf4730m.jpg

The crown on the crystal is present (althought I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but it is barely visible!)

dscf4737.jpg

dscf4737cr.jpg

Any bad bits?

Well, being BK it did take a little longer than other dealers ;) lol B) but he had to wait for a replacement bezel as the original one was cracked, so there wasn't really much he could do about the wait on that, just keep chasing his Far East contact. Once it was shipped to him it was ready to be shipped in about 2 weeks, so it was a quick turnaround time!

The few small things that are slightly wrong with it are:

it's not made of white gold (unsurprisingly LOL);

the rehaut engraving isn't lined up (but then 90% of rep rehauts aren't, and it's difficult to see on the wrist anyway so isn't really a problem ;));

and that the crystal is seated slightly out of kilter(?).

dscf4736o.jpg

dscf4732g.jpg

dscf4734cr.jpg

I thought the crystal should actually be more upstanding than it is, and stick out to the level of the cyclops side of this one, but it seems from the gen pictures that it should be pushed a bit further in, nearer the level it is at 9-o'clock on this one? so it's pretty much flat with the bezel??

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/116619/116619review.html

I might try and see if I can gently but firmly push it further towards the rehaut, although I think that, really, I might have to give it to someone with more skills than me... :blush: lol

Overall I think this is a great watch :D Looks great, feels a quality piece, with the datewheel swap it hasn't really got an obvious 'tell' that's visible from a distance (unless someone can tell the difference between polished SS and white gold), and it's a pretty reasonable price when you consider that BK has to ship the watch to him, ship the datewheel to him, disassemble the watch, swap the DW in, reassemble the watch, QC it, then package it and send it to you! It also means that BK can check the alignment of the pearl on the bezel, which can be a little out, judging from some of the pictures I've seen of the ceramic bezel models.

I'm very happy, thank you very much BK! :D

dscf4742.jpg

dscf4743.jpg

air228

A very good review.

barkingtoad

A very good watch :)

GC

Very sharp X... and I agree that shade of blue is truly something special.

Enjoy it often mate!

greg_r

Great review, X! :)

Eiderdaus

Nice review, now you can change your signature :lol: It´s not on Order anymore ?

Member X

Good point!

I always forget to change it because I have them switched off lol

trailboss99

Don't worry too much about the rehaut alignment, it isn't perfect on all the gens either!

The coronet on the crystal isn't perfect but it's by far the closest yet.

Col.

JoeyB
Don't worry too much about the rehaut alignment, it isn't perfect on all the gens either!

The coronet on the crystal isn't perfect but it's by far the closest yet.

Col.

After getting into the vintage Rolex all the way into the present and learning a bit I've found that for that much money Rolex doesn't get it very consistent at all. I don't know how much of them are 'hand made' but the variances are plenty and a bonus to those of us with reps that are close.

@ MemberX, I'd get the crystal set and then enjoy the hell out of it. It is beautiful!

Member X

lol

I'd agree with you about the variances, Joey, you look at just one model (vintage subs, for example) and even in one 'issue' there are differences!

I think I'd like to get the crystal in this one re-set but it really is only about 0.5mm difference side to side...

I'm just not sure whether to push it in or pull it out a bit??

(said the actress to the bishop B) lol)

JoeyB

The very first GMT ceramics had that exact same issue. It turned out to be a glop of glue under the insert, and not the crystal itself. Surprisingly, it took a while for everyone to figure that out.

Member X

I don't think this is the case on this one as it looks to be consistent all the way round the outer edge of the bezel insert!

JoeyB

It was a thought, and either will be a cheap fix. I think, if memory serves, that holding it up and looking from the side found the insert issue at the crystal, but not at the edge.

Member X

Would the ceramic insert bend??

JoeyB
Would the ceramic insert bend??

NO!!!! It is VERY brittle, I actually chipped a chunk of it coming off by not being careful. But that was the first designed ceramic insert. After that I learned to heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and it carefully pried the rest of it off with no issue. If you suspect that it is a lump of glue, I would warm it up with a hair dryer and push it down first, see if you can spread the glue out. Not too hot!

Member X

I think I might leave that, just in case... :gunbandana: lol

If I can get hold of some measuring calipers, I'll measure the thickness across different points of the watch to see if it is the crystal or not!

AllergyDoc

You should PM BK about that crooked crystal. I think it's a simple fix for anyone with a crystal press.

MikeMcNair

X, thanks for this review!! you are the last nail in the "i am gonna buy this" coffin. i am so stoked to get this, once i get the money in that i am waiting for.

your pix are great too, so thanks again bro!!!

Member X

lol

I was hoping you'd see this, Mike :)

AD - I think I will PM BK, yes. I feel bad being anal about something so small as it really isn't that noticeable on the wrist :) and I don't want to incur BK any financial hassle by having to send it back and then get it posted back again! ;)

(Not only that I stress it will be seized at customs!!)

I have got a press coming in my monster package from the RWG shop :gunbandana: but I wouldn't like my first 'project' to be the most expensive rep I own... :( lol

mrtepax

wow, wonderful review, X! I have a submariner bought from Mary and it's exactly as yours, except for the modding, of course...ok, mine is black but it's pointless, i suppose.

I agree with you about almost everything, and especially about the following:

lume: it's everlasting (all night long!!) and depending on the light source, it changes the colour...strange but true!

crown engraving on the rehaut: mine is misaligned too...just a little, but misaligned

Unlike you, I am a little disappointed about the pearl: mine is exactly as yours, but I think it's quite different from the gen, as it is too much "bulky".

Finally, I think that the circle on the seconds hand is a little bigger than in the gen one: I had a look at the gen one in an AD store and I came out with this sensation...

Again, congrats for the review and the watch, of course

Member X
Unlike you, I am a little disappointed about the pearl: mine is exactly as yours, but I think it's quite different from the gen, as it is too much "bulky".

Finally, I think that the circle on the seconds hand is a little bigger than in the gen one: I had a look at the gen one in an AD store and I came out with this sensation...

Hey :o

You may well be right about the pearl - tbh I've not really studied the gen in too great a detail, I just thought this one looked well finished and not cheap like some pearls can look! :D

You would have to do a side by side with the gen to confirm the seconds hand, or do one of those overlaid photos that someone on here was doing for the DRSD the other day. I really wouldnt't worry tbh - this is a 20 grand watch in real life, no-one will ever have seen one for real or own one (I hear the gen's not sold very well lol) and even if they have, the rehaut is a much bigger tell than the seconds hand!

It is good to study the details though, does come in handy sometimes, but we shouldn't let these tiny flaws get in the way of what is a stunning rep IMO :suicide:

Enjoy yours often! :)

k3rm87

I didn't like this watch when I first saw it, but the light blue contrasted with the shiny bracelet make my mouth water now, perfect summer watch.. the only thing that has stopped me purchasing this is that knowing the price of the original.. I couldn't pull it off.. unfortunately

;):giggle:

skintrade

A stunning watch and great review :D

Member X

Ok, I was all ready to PM BK about the crystal and swallow the customs risk, when Brightlight came to the rescue with his servicing offer :D

So off went this watch for a service and crystal re-set ;) as the power reserve was only about 12 hours, which seemed to indicate the swiss movement BK guarantees was an old one and in need of a service! lol

As per the 2010 Explorer 1 I've already updated on, I asked BL if he would be so kind as to take pics, and he was good enough to do so :bugeyes:

So, here are the latest pics! Slightly scary seeing it like this ;) lol

Case with crystal removed

mxbks001.jpg

Dial and hands put away for safekeeping

mxbks002.jpg

Movement front view

mxbks003.jpg

Movement rear view

mxbks004.jpg

Looks swiss to me, looking at the shock assembly cutouts round the spring thing :P

MikeMcNair

Bright light fixed my watch and in a flash! That man is a wizard among men, and should be hailed for his excellent work and customer service!!

/rant