Sign in to follow this  
ebzen02

Update: MM 6152-1 Phase I complete- Photoshoot

ebzen02

So back in April I purchased a MM from Getat with the intention of wearing as it was-nice and simple. I received the watch a couple of weeks ago, but something inside of me told me that I needed a 6152. After seeing Clint Eastwoods masterpiece I was inspired. I bought myself a dremel and like a mad scientist spent this past weekend trimming away.

I was in search of the perfect 6152 shape. This is a perfectly ellusive pillow shape that still eludes me, but I am getting closer. I have a ways to go, but for $120, and almost my marriage, this week (today) I got closer. Yup, it needs a nicer CG. Ahem, it needs a better crystal and nice polish. Sure, a nice dial and hands would work, and a closed caseback..yup.. but for now this is what I have and for what I spent on the watch this was a fun project (I'll admit it was more frustrating than fun at times)...BTW, that is Getats strap that I vintagized...lol..$120.. yup, who said a budget vintage can't be done..

Here are the pics:

_DSC0226NEF.jpg

_DSC0225NEF.jpg

_DSC0224NEF.jpg

_DSC0228NEF.jpg

_DSC0227NEF.jpg

So back in April I purchased a MM from Getat with the intention of wearing as it was-nice and simple. I received the watch a couple of weeks ago, but something inside of me told me that I needed a 6152. After seeing Clint Eastwoods masterpiece I was inspired. I bought myself a dremel and like a mad scientist spent this past weekend trimming away.

I was in search of the perfect 6152 shape. This is a perfectly ellusive pillow shape that still eludes me, but I am getting closer. I have a ways to go, but for $120, and almost my marriage, this week (today) I got closer. Yup, it needs a nicer CG. Ahem, it needs a better crystal and nice polish. Sure, a nice dial and hands would work, and a closed caseback..yup.. but for now this is what I have and for what I spent on the watch this was a fun project (I'll admit it was more frustrating than fun at times)...BTW, that is Getats strap that I vintagized...lol..$120.. yup, who said a budget vintage can't be done..

Here are the pics:

_DSC0226NEF.jpg

_DSC0225NEF.jpg

_DSC0224NEF.jpg

_DSC0228NEF.jpg

_DSC0227NEF.jpg

Phase II.. Further Case Reshape

What it has

DSN Caseback

Okabum Plexi.. I crapped it up, but manage to sand enough to get ride of most cracks :thumbsup:

Donerex Strap

Waiting on:

Okabum CG

DSN Pencil Hands

Southy LP Dial

Shortly After:

NW Caseback

Vintage Spring Bars

Here are the Pics:

Case needs a bit of touch up here and there, but this is what I have so far..

P1080473.jpg

P1080481.jpg

P1080478.jpg

P1080479.jpg

P1080480.jpg

greg_r

Looks damned good, Ebzen. I've occasionally been tempted to do that kinda thing to my Getat 3646. May happen yet :thumbsup:

GC

Ebz... phenomenal work, not to mention it's on a serious budget which in itself makes it even more impressive!!!

Some how you have managed to make it look like it was lost at the bottom of the sea for years. IMO, you have captured the true essence of what a real Vintage looks like, not just that faux Vintage look that we see all the time with the PAMs.

BRAVO!

Super photog also mate!

KinCaidk

Amazing, Ebzen!

I want it!

Ska

bloody lovely.

dingle

very nice ebzen. ;)

ebzen02

Thanks for the comments guys..

@ GC...I think my wife lost me at sea during this little dive...LOL

graman

Points mate!....points!

Member X

As above, that does look more 'authentic' than some vintagised pieces we see! Well done for getting it looking 'right' ;)

Personally that foggy crystal would drive me mad :ninja2: but it is in keeping!

greg_r
As above, that does look more 'authentic' than some vintagised pieces we see! Well done for getting it looking 'right' ;)

Yup - it's beautiful work but a beaten-up crystal would drive me crazy. It's one of the reasons I've hesitated to do something similar to my 3646. I'd have to leave the plexi untouched if I was ever going to wear it again...

AustinTech

It looks fantastic.

The beat up plexi wouldn't bother me too much because you can still easily see what time it is. I bet it looks great on the wrist. Very authentic looking and I love that you did it on a budget.

ebzen02

I am changing that foggy crystal to a thick plexi once I see the right used one pop up in the sales threads.. I just got the closed caseback...

Next 2 month Wish list:

Thick Plexi (probably a DSN for now)

Okabum CG (need to sell a watch to get this one)

Hands (double needle is what most are telling me)

Nicer dial

JoeyB

Well done!

KBH

Put some polish on the crystal so you can still see some scratches but at least make it look somewhat clear. My opinion only!

Great looking watch though. It actually looks "real", which a lot of vintage watches don't.

scope

Great job and even better price!

ebzen02
Put some polish on the crystal so you can still see some scratches but at least make it look somewhat clear. My opinion only!

Great looking watch though. It actually looks "real", which a lot of vintage watches don't.

I will try that this week.. but I am changing this mineral crystal to plexi..soon..

KinCaidk

I will try that this week.. but I am changing this mineral crystal to plexi..soon..

Or you could sell me the watch and start over ;)

just sayin'

:rofl:

ebzen02

Or you could sell me the watch and start over ;)

just sayin'

:rofl:

LOL!!! I am thinking of getting more Getat/Jackson cases and practicing on them.. One never knows..Someday I might sell them cheap ;)

ebzen02

Project list so far:

Done:

Getat Case/6497movement (about $80)

Southy LP Dial age and resin filled ($100)

DSN Caseback ($30)

DSN Pencil hands ($30)

Donerex strap ($75)

On the waiting list and coming soon:

Okabum CG ($80ish)

Nightwatch Plexi (+/-$70)

On the wish list for next 6 months:

Nightwatch caseback

Final budget target +/-$500

Member X

That's a good price, especially considering what some vintage stuff goes for!

offshore

Whip over to RG, you'll get $1k for that....plus labour :D

O/S

ebzen02
:D The case looks much better than the pics above-- it is more polished and the lines a bit more refined. I will eventually take more pics. I just got the okabum plexi and because I went crazy with a dremel (note to self..don't use a dremel) I cracked the thing--- good thing it was actually very cheap. I am going to just get the already polished plexi from Gordon.

ebzen02

Phase II.. Further Case Reshape

What it has

DSN Caseback

Okabum Plexi.. I crapped it up, but managed to sand enough to get rid of most cracks :(

Donerex Strap

Waiting on:

Okabum CG

DSN Pencil Hands

Southy LP Dial

Shortly After:

NW Caseback

Vintage Spring Bars

Here are the Pics:

Case needs a bit of touch up here and there, but this is what I have so far..

P1080473.jpg

P1080481.jpg

P1080478.jpg

P1080479.jpg

P1080480.jpg

scope

Looking good! :D