Sign in to follow this  
frazman

IWC COUSTEAU 2008 MECHANISM REPAIR OR SELL THE WATCH ?

frazman

Hi All after much research around this time last year I purchased an IWC rep from Torobravo - unfortunately it appears I got a dud, upon arrival there was a pronounced rattle from the watch and after some research on this great forum I checked the rear screw in the mechanism which was missing or had most probably fallen into the mechanism.

I contacted Toro who to his credit did forward a replacement screw but having fitted it the mechanism still doesn't work. I asked a trusted friend who is friendly with an experienced local watchsmith to take a look but he was unable to repair it.

So I would like to get the watch working as it looks cracking and feels great on the wrist, only problem being it doesn't function as a watch and subsequently I've never once worn it!. The mechanism doesn't appear to be working at all. It was one of toro's sale items so came in at about £185 from memory. Question is how much would it cost to repair assuming the mechanism is knackered as I believe it tobe and who is the best UK based repair agent to use?

Finally if it's beyond "economical repair" how much should I expect to get for it as a "going concern" to try to recoup some of my losses?

Thanks in advance for any help

Fraz

Edited by frazman

NFleischer

That's a tough one, it usually costs about $200 to repair one of the A 7750 chronos.

Sometimes easier just get a new one. However if you like the watch you may want to bite the bullet. I'd check with one of the

trusted repair guys. I live in the USA, so I use 10:10 Watch Repair. No reason why you can't either really.

frazman

bugger $200 for a repair, that's just my luck! I wonder how much a replacement mechanism would be from china, although not sure I'd have the skills to fit it and would be mighty peeved if I didn't get the watch up and running again! Thanks for your replay though.....

Edited by frazman

Odyseus

I think this IWC cost $220 (£135) as it's still a Toro sale item.

A new A7750 will set you back around $110 (£65) then of course you have to swap it over :)

For selling on well, I guess you probably have to accept £80 ish maybe a bit more ?

..alternatively can't you sent it back to Toro for repair (Cost £14 from the UK to China)