Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Mare Nostrum now out!!!

Fiddo

Eh....looks OK.

52mm is out of my size range, though.

PatronSaintofChainsaws

Look how relatively-flat it will wear though. It probably won't be any different on the wrist than a 47mm Fiddy.

Do any of "our" dealers have it yet?

speedzmaster

They shoulda made the tachymetre bezel.

ferret

I love "purpose built" watches like the Proplof, but the only purpose this watch was designed for was to be ugly :D

Luthier

The dial of this frying pan is gorgeous, probably, one of the best PAM dials.

Bezel kills everything. It's flat out ugly. Sorry, Boss.

I just curious - will this mov't and bezel fit Regatta case? 2 pushers here and there. Should fit?

Yes, Franken, fantasy, but as Greg said - who cares? Should be gorgeous watch at the end, what'd you think?

And, oh, yeah, that horrible green rag strap...

greg_r

Yeah, it's the dial that does it for me - but I'll admit I like the starkness of the bezel too. It's quirky - which has always appealed to me :D

Movement should fit (standard SeaGull handwind chrono as found in quite a few watches - including a PAM or two) - not so sure about anything else though.

speedzmaster

Its funny how they decide to make this junk instead of Tudor reps.

Baldrick

Sorry Greg. t'aint nothing 'timeless' or 'elegant' about this, should be called the 'hairy nostril', it's as attractive as one, seriously ugly and declasse. sub dials and dial should also be white not vintage colour :D

Looks as tho' it's made from these.

FC-ARMO-4PIECE.jpg

greg_r
Sorry Greg. t'aint nothing 'timeless' or 'elegant' about this, should be called the 'hairy nostril', it's as attractive as one, seriously ugly and declasse. sub dials and dial should also be white not vintage colour :huh:

Looks as tho' it's made from these.

FC-ARMO-4PIECE.jpg

Says the guy who wears a Graham fire hydrant..... :rolleyes:

:D

Baldrick

Ahh, but there was purpose in the Grahams design, a case of form following function, there's no excuse for this, nothing remarkable about it in any way other than the fact that it looks like a dustbin lid with a completely tedious and banal looking dial, this just looks like somebody at Panerai said 'let's make an even bigger chrono than the mostro' then fukked up by abandoning the design half way thru'. love the Graham or not, this abortion won't ever cut the mustard side by side with it :D

Fiddo

I'll wait for the "Mini Mare Nostrum".

greg_r
Ahh, but there was purpose in the Grahams design, a case of form following function, there's no excuse for this, nothing remarkable about it in any way other than the fact that it looks like a dustbin lid with a completely tedious and banal looking dial, this just looks like somebody at Panerai said 'let's make an even bigger chrono than the mostro' then fukked up by abandoning the design half way thru'. love the Graham or not, this abortion won't ever cut the mustard side by side with it :D

Well admittedly the Graham was designed for use underwater (although who exactly needs an underwater cappuchino machine I dunno), but unless you're going to wear a wetsuit 24/7 it looks pretty silly :huh:

Baldrick

And the Egiziano and mare Nostrum don't!

There comes a point in the 'design' of a watch where ergonomics and design part ways, the problem with the MN is that it's using a chronograph that was designed for a much smaller case, it can't be scaled up to match the dimensions of the MN, the smaller sub dials look ridiculous in such a big case, as for timeless and elegant, the epitome of that is the Railmaster XXL, based on a pocket watch movement, it has an appropriate sized dial and bezel, the glass almost fills the whole bezel and the dial dimensiosn are commensurate with a 49mm watch, the MN at 52mm looks ridiculous with so much acreage on the bezel JMHO, different strokes for different folks, but let's not get carried away with hyperbole, you would hardly call a U-Boat or Egiziano timeless and elegant, would you, 'remarkable' yes, but only from the point of view of size, not aesthetic beauty. :D

But if you like it, buy it :huh:

264OMEGARAILMASTERXXLA.jpg

greg_r

...ahhhh.... I can only agree, but you have to remember. Beauty is in the eye... :D

Baldrick

Indeed, but hyperbole is in the mouth of the marketeer :D

greg_r
Indeed, but hyperbole is in the mouth of the marketeer :lol:

You're not gonna get an argument from me on that either... :lol:

ebzen02
And the Egiziano and mare Nostrum don't!

There comes a point in the 'design' of a watch where ergonomics and design part ways, the problem with the MN is that it's using a chronograph that was designed for a much smaller case, it can't be scaled up to match the dimensions of the MN, the smaller sub dials look ridiculous in such a big case, as for timeless and elegant, the epitome of that is the Railmaster XXL, based on a pocket watch movement, it has an appropriate sized dial and bezel, the glass almost fills the whole bezel and the dial dimensiosn are commensurate with a 49mm watch, the MN at 52mm looks ridiculous with so much acreage on the bezel JMHO, different strokes for different folks, but let's not get carried away with hyperbole, you would hardly call a U-Boat or Egiziano timeless and elegant, would you, 'remarkable' yes, but only from the point of view of size, not aesthetic beauty. :lol:

But if you like it, buy it :lol:

264OMEGARAILMASTERXXLA.jpg

Dude..where do you get your straps..fucking beautiful!

GC

G... I can't luv it. I don't hate it...but I can't luv it.

sfa437

Trash the Egi at your peril :lol:

VDB has an Egi that is fucking MINDSCRAMBLING! I would gladly trade my wife in on one- possibly her g/f too.

The Mare is kinda-sorta calling to me but the bezel has those wonky rounded thingies instead of vertical sharp serrations. Not quite a dealbreaker for me but it is disappointing.

Baldrick
Dude..where do you get your straps..fucking beautiful!

Bangkok!

There are a few good strap dealers in BKK, not so much for Pannys, but a lot of interesting stuff, ostrich leg etc etc :lol:

3afbcb3d.jpg6508963b.jpg386MONTBLANCQUARTZCHRONOU-BOATOR-3.jpgRacing3.jpg264OMEGARAILMASTERXXL9.jpg332CHOPARDGTXLWHITEDIAL_BLACKDIAL.jpg

greg_r

lol@sfa.

Quite. I love the egi too - a DSN version may well have to happen at some point.

Agree about the bezel edge on the Mare, but it's still calling to me...