Sign in to follow this  
BigsCG

I guess this is an Homage?

BigsCG

Just finished painting a custom Athaya dial and put it into my 372 case. It looks decent from about 2 feet, but I'll probably repaint this thing 10 more times before I move on. The paint in the engravings is too thick, I'll try and thin it out on the next attempt. Anyway, here are some pics. Curious to hear some feedback, positives and negatives. Thanks!

RadiomirJCG_zps44192016.jpg

RadiomirJCG2_zps961951d3.jpg

RadiomirJCG3_zps915edb9c.jpg

James.

Paint looks very good imo, prefer thick text to thin. Really cool dial, Adrian is the shizzel.

BigsCG

Paint looks very good imo, prefer thick text to thin. Really cool dial, Adrian is the shizzel.

Thanks James. The "I" in Radiomir and the 8 are bugging the shit out of me. Adrian is the man. His curved hands also. I'm still trying to decide on the case and movement for this little project. Are you building anything at the moment?

James.

I quite like those hands, given it's not a copy of a real Panerai, it gives you free reign to set it up anyway you please. Are you going to fill the incicies?

I've always thought anything with a 2nds sub-dial looks great in a 6152 case as the crown guard counteracts the sub-dial. Contemplate a 6154 case, should give the build a nice symmetry

I'm not making anything atm, I have about 5 cases waiting to get finished with various dials and movement, just CBF'd these days. kinda lost interest in building them and now the parts just sit in a box. Too damn lazy busy lazy

BigsCG

I have the athaya bronze 6154 case in mind, Or a very thin brushed 6154. They are just so expensive, I'm going to mull on it for a while. I may fill the indicies, but this dial will probably take many forms before all is said and done. I agree with the sub-dial/CG comment. One thing I have noticed about making this a destro, is that long sleeves cover the guard which helps even things out.

D77EE01B-E116-42F8-882D-F6538A2489EA_zpsvdzshcdn.jpg

James.

And don't dig into your wrist!

DeLaForce

Looks good, when spraying the dial I have leaned toward a tamiya gloss finish....as when it comes to filling the engravings the paint wipes away much easier and cleaner, I'd reccomend using many cotton swabs for some reason these work very well, then if you desire a Matt finish simply spray last to finalize the overall finish . I use crayola wax crayons the non washable kind :lol:

I'd age those hands slightly and relume them to match the dial also, if you need any lume I've got loads, or anything else for that matter.

But so far so good , that case looks great!

TheTinMan

I think it looks great and I like the destro look too. I would leave it alone - although I know how obsessive I can become if something I've done isn't perfect.

I take it 1978 is your birth year?

BigsCG

Looks good, when spraying the dial I have leaned toward a tamiya gloss finish....as when it comes to filling the engravings the paint wipes away much easier and cleaner, I'd reccomend using many cotton swabs for some reason these work very well, then if you desire a Matt finish simply spray last to finalize the overall finish . I use crayola wax crayons the non washable kind :lol:

I'd age those hands slightly and relume them to match the dial also, if you need any lume I've got loads, or anything else for that matter.

But so far so good , that case looks great!

I will take you up on the lume for sure. You are right about the gloss finish, I baked it for about 20 minutes after applying and it was pretty easy to get off the face, but the acryllic paint I used was just too thick and made the engravings look sloppy when they are really sharp. The next attempt will be thinned out paint and swabs. i'll post the comparissons. Thanks for the advice! I bought the hands for a 44mm 372 project, but just couldn't sit still when they arived in the mail last week :-) I probably won't age them, but will be popping my cherry on the relume to try and make them match up w/ the 372.

I think it looks great and I like the destro look too. I would leave it alone - although I know how obsessive I can become if something I've done isn't perfect.

I take it 1978 is your birth year?

Thanks for the comment! Yes, It is my birth year. When all is said and done, i'm hoping to have a 6154, 6152, and a 3rd vintage style with the birth years of my father, brother, and my own encorporated somehow. I also plan to have ammo straps from each year as well. It's been quite fun to research the years and brainstorm on how to encorporate it into the builds. Subtle or not so subtle w/ the dial here :-) The funny thing is all 3 watches will be for me, as they could probably care less, hehe.

TheInthusiest

Looks really nice man! Keep the work up!

gottahaverolex

Rads don't have crown guards but it still looks nice. Enjoy!

DeLaForce

If you're not into ageing hands via stripping,egging etc... Then it's worth picking up a tamiya weathering kit ... Great stuff no hassle style ageing, and looks legit if applied sparingly .

I'll put some lume in post when I get a free minute :thumbsup: