Sign in to follow this  
jms137

Ingersoll....not quite there?

jms137

Hey all,

I bought an Ingersoll years ago in HK and still really like it:

479802_3891383116459_1493447288_n_zpse6581630.jpg

This year I spot some more Ingersoll's in Prague and in the Westfield shopping mall.. They seem almost there, but not quite. Has anyone else felt this? Like I love old style retro/trench watches, and they have a few like that. When I saw them I was eager to try one but when you get it in your hands the build quality and the little design details just let it down. And the styling now just seems a little too exagerrated. Like you think "oh if only this was 20% better I'd buy it". The quality on my £230 Toro IWC Top Gun blows any Ingersoll of the same price out of the water. Shame really... as I like those retro trench watches.

cheers,

j

BentleySharp

That's the way I feel about alot of lower end gens. Ingersol, Invicta, some Tissots, Etc... "If the edges were just a little sharper...If the lines were just a little finer,,," And like you said, It's not like this can't be done. The rep factories in China manage to do it at the same price range...But maybe the real reason is because there's something else going on behind the scenes...

:heli:

miniman

This is the reason I buy reps rather than homage, most of the homages just don't feel finished as well, the Chinese reps for the same price doand usually have the same movement. saying that I do quite like Parnis and some Alphas.

Kev

jms137

The Parnis ones I see on ebay seem really nicely done to be honest. Very crisp.

The Ingersoll situation just makes me really curious. I mean the rep factories in china prove that you can make a fantastic, crisp watch with a good movement for a couple of hundred. How come Ingersoll cannot?

I suspect the problem is that reps steal the expensive design IP from the gen companies, who pay a fortune for it. Ontop of this Ingersoll probably has to spend a fortune on marketing and all the middlemen and people on the phone dealing with the mechanics of global distribution and selling in real, live walk-in shops.