Sign in to follow this  
JSJ

What is this movement please? Where can I buy one?

JSJ

Can anyone tell me what movement this is please? It's in an Omega PO rep. It's behaving erratically and I have in mind to use it as a learning tool to replace if I can buy a new movement for not very much.

285908b5-f97f-4a7d-bb25-8338bdc81cf3.jpg

Assuming it's a cheap movement, where is the best place to buy a replacement please? If you tell me it's a gen Omega movement I will be... err... surprised and it will be straight round to my AD in the morning for fixing beer%20jumer.gif

Sorry for the newbie questions. I am a newbie :giggle::rolleyes:

rsh

Its a 21j dg2813.

Nisv

:lol:

That was fast :D

Looks like you've done this before :P

JSJ

Thanks rsh, that was indeed fast.

Where is the best place to buy a replacement please? I'm in the UK.

JSJ

and now RWI is down, loads of info is missing :(

JSJ

And now for the really stupid question:

If I buy this and take the existing movement out, will the new one fit without any mods?

I know I will need to take the movement out of the case, remove the hands, face and date wheel from the old one. I'm up for that.

HeavyKrush

Yep, I'd say that's the one. Good luck. Might have to swap the date wheel though.

HeavyKrush

Possibly the date wheel. There's a tutorial here somewhere on replacing the date wheel for a sub. I'll see if I can dig it up.

JSJ

You see, the bug has bitten me big time. I already have a latest PO from Trusty with a Swiss (??I don't really think so??) movement, said to be a 2824-2 but marked with 2836. What a saga that has been but now I am so chuffed with it. Superb watch.

Also a PO Skyfall from Reg, an IWC (very pretty watch) from Mary. Oh and a quartz Speedy, also from Reg.

I owe you guys some pics, I know that.

And I only started this at the beginning of this month. My wife says at lest it's keeping me from being bored.

JSJ

Thanks Powermax, that's really brilliant. I'm going to go for this. Order will be made on CousinsUK shortly.

The PO is a pumpkin and a very good quality case, not as good as the latest one from Andrew but the bezel is good and smooth and the AR is good.

The more I read about the Asian 21J movements, the more I like them. Hardly worth trying to have it fixed for the price of a new one.

Nisv

We're lucky to have Powermax here :D

JSJ

Ordered the movement. Looking forward to it. Most of the tools I already have. I just need a bigger jemmy in case the date wheel won't come off.

Thanks again guys.

HeavyKrush

:D

JSJ

New movement came today, swapped it out in a couple of hours. All hunky dory for now.

Gained about 1.5 seconds in 6 hours, so not looking too bad. I expect it will loosen up a bit. I shall work a little regulation on it when it has settled down. The 21J in my Skyfall is accurate to around +1s a day now.

I reckon somebody had fingy pokied inside the movement before :rolleyes: . I was able to remove a few small marks off the face and hands. The old movement was excellent to have a practice before delving into the new one to change the date wheel.

The crown now has an O ring in it which I was fortunate enough to have in stock. I shall pop into the local Timsons and see if the man thinks it's waterproof. He reckons my CrPO is good for 100 metres (as far as his kit goes). If the O ring works, I'm pretty sure the caseback will be sealed so the only other places are the He release valve (which is drilled through on this one but not on the CrPO) and the crystal. We shall see.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys. This is a great place.

trailboss99

Well done mate! That's the first job under the belt then.

Jacksongo

nice!!!, you dont see too many people doing this kind of jobs on their own

fatarms

He's obviously an imposter :angry:

twofake
New movement came today, swapped it out in a couple of hours. All hunky dory for now.

Gained about 1.5 seconds in 6 hours, so not looking too bad. I expect it will loosen up a bit. I shall work a little regulation on it when it has settled down. The 21J in my Skyfall is accurate to around +1s a day now.

I reckon somebody had fingy pokied inside the movement before :rolleyes: . I was able to remove a few small marks off the face and hands. The old movement was excellent to have a practice before delving into the new one to change the date wheel.

The crown now has an O ring in it which I was fortunate enough to have in stock. I shall pop into the local Timsons and see if the man thinks it's waterproof. He reckons my CrPO is good for 100 metres (as far as his kit goes). If the O ring works, I'm pretty sure the caseback will be sealed so the only other places are the He release valve (which is drilled through on this one but not on the CrPO) and the crystal. We shall see.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys. This is a great place.

Do you have any pics you can show us?

JSJ

Yup, I have pics :-)

Old movement, datewheel off.

IMG_20131203_111840.jpg

New movement, new datewheel, wrong colour as expected.

IMG_20131203_115046.jpg

After learning from the old movement, the removal of the new datewheel was relatively easy

IMG_20131203_104534.jpg

Old datewheel on the new movement

IMG_20131203_120300.jpg

Dial back on and everything running. There were a few marks on the dial from what I suspect were earlier interventions. Not bad but they are gone now.

IMG_20131203_124645.jpg

All back in place

IMG_20131214_173927.jpg

Looks good, keeping good time. Really pleased with the piece.

IMG_20131213_163847.jpg

nofitstate

Good job. What position was the stem in when you removed it?

twofake

Great work . I notice the movement is held in with screws like some Rolex reps. My POs have plastic movement holders. I wonder if that is because yours is a higher end rep or if they are just different factories that make them?

JSJ

Good job. What position was the stem in when you removed it?

The stem comes out really easily, with like the smallest of pushes on the release button. I confess that I have removed it in both wind and setting positions. Thanks for the reminder. I ought to put in "wind" I believe.