Sign in to follow this  
RolexAddict

Vintage Rolex 1675 GMT Master (2)

RolexAddict

news...

Still sourcing material to reproduce the more difficult, the worse existing vintage model reproduction : The 1675 GMT Master.

I had an old GMT case in my watch box, one of these accurate GMT II used some time ago to produce these famous "Retro". But one of the batch was used for TT GMT II -still available from PerfectClone webside- with the correct lug holes location. These cases are stamped 16710 T.

The called "Retro" is an accurate GMT II case but with complete ugly vrong lug holes position. Impossible to correct, even with a vertical mill, its impossible to drill and get back the right specs. Or, the solution would be to block holes by TIG welding and re-drill at the right specs.

Anyway, I had one of these "16710 T" stamped fat case with correct lug holes location, ready for mod. I drilled the lug holes at the right specs to accept gen Rolex springbars. At this level, no problem.

A precision : I read here and there people drilling at 1,2mm. Probably they don't use right Rolex specs springbars. You cannot use springbars with 1,2mm shoulders diameter in 1,2 diameter holes. Basic mechanic considerations, as you introduce the springbar with a certain angle. Also most ot the time lug holes background holes are mismachined from one to the other, in that way, you need 1/10 mm clearance. To fit gen Rolex or good aftermarket springbars the lug holes must be drilled at 1,3mm

Then, I tried to get more anal : convert an oversized 16710/16750 GMT rep case to return to the basic 1675 thin case by decrease the case and the rehaut height.

Some refreshes :

6542 : thin case without crown guards, plexi, dull painted dial. -OYSTER PERPETUAL- GMT MASTER

1675 : thin case with crown guards, plexi, dull painted dial. -OYSTER PERPETUAL- GMT MASTER

16750 : same thin case with crown guards, plexi, dull painted dial with white gold surrounded markers -OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE- GMT MASTER

Then was introduced the 16760, thicker case, saphire cristal, bright dial -OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE- GMT MASTER II.

Here the background of my 16710 thick case. Sorry, the pics were taken without tripod and under low light conditions.

gmt2.jpg

First operation : removing metal from the rehaut, not his diameter or angle, just it thickness

gmt1.jpg

Next operation : removing metal from the top of the case and re-sculpture of the case sides and lugs.

Note : this is just a one way experiment, I will never do this again, to much work. Impossible to use a lathe, or other tools, all was made by hand by filing and grinding, checking all angles, thickness and overal specs with a caliper

So this project is considered like another prototype and unique. Its impossible and inconceivable to produce such material, to much time investment.

gmt3.jpg

The case body was seriously worked by filing and Dremeling... to get this : the right thickness as the real thing.

Look here the new case background. Removing metal from the top surface of the case allowed to correct a little bit the flaw of the crown which is basically positioned to low. Removing metal from the retaining bezel wall allowed the insert clearance as now the bezel ring rests on a much lower base.

gmt4.jpg

Now the engravings between lug holes look positioned a little to hight, the text is not centered but imho its not a big flaw

gmt5.jpg

At this time of the project I am happy as it turns to something very accurate, more pics in a few days with the bezel and plexi in place. I am waiting for inserts delivery beginning next week, then I will consider the type of movement. I have an old vrong Explorer II with an ETA 2836-2 inside. Or I will try the Asian movement with the gmt hand as its a true gmt fonction movement and its a low beats.

Regrettably I will use a dial with DATE as gens/aftermarket doesn't fit. Read more farther.

THE GMT 1675 DIALS...

Eurotimez had in the MBW-MBK section... no more produced. The only source actually is Yuki. KinCaidk gave me a link for 99usd GMT 1675 dials. In fact it is Yuki on EBay selling cheaper dials as on their website, I got one. It has the right Rolex specs, it means IT DOESN'T FIT ANY REP CASE.

I was first disapointed as for "gen refinished by professional" we are closer from rep dials and very far from gens. Except the good OYSTER PERPETUAL and the very nice coronet, the text seems to be printed with water color, its light grey, no enough bright. I handled a gen 1675 yesterday and the text is white and very bright and slightly embossed. The prints on yuki dial I got are flat and pale

The $99 Yukiwatch dial

One flaw at the right from the 11 dot, its like a spot of rust. The L bottom sherif of SUPERLATIVE is damaged

Yuki01.jpg

Comparison with my refinished/relumed rep dial (left) and the Yuki. Almost 2mm diameter difference. This introduces also a new problemetic : the date disk diameter... I will try with a vintage printed DD ring, I am affraid it will not match.

rep%20vs%20Yuki.jpg

In fact, the Yuki dial is not to bad, I am to much maniac, but what bothers me is the printing looking not enough bright

Comparison with a gen dials, pics are coming from a link given by AllergyDoc http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74976

Yuki

Yuki02.jpg

Gen

gen1.jpg

Yuki, look the flaw of the L letter from superlative

Yuki03.jpg

gen

gen2.jpg

We are in july, I have till september to source an accurate slim case. Its not only a matter of case and crownguards thickness, but also a matter of rehaut internal diameter allowing to accept Yuki or other aftermarket accurate dials.

In case of non solution, the only alternative to produce an accurate GMT 1675 would be the Yuki case

Member X

Interesting stuff, well done for all your efforts! :)

ebzen02

I like to see that passion and attention to detail.. Kudos to your hard work RA!!

Luthier

RA, how many hours in total these mods will take before it's completely done??

Just curious...

JoeyB

RA, EXCELLENT work!

The dials for the 6542 and 1675 are very much a problem. What I ran into with Yuki, Classic Watch Parts, ND Trading and another out of Southeast Asia is that their refinished dials are not completely accurate. The Crown is usually wrong, and the script is either not bold enough, or the wrong font, or both.

Further, it was pointed out to me that the dials that read <T-25 are 'Service Dials' and not the original dial, and they have differences from Rolex themselves to their own original.

I am in process of 'updating' my 6542 dial because of this, and fix the Crown that I think is wrong, and I'm working on another one besides. But it seems to me that with all the variances over the many years for both models of watch, and the changes Rolex themselves make, 'perfect accuracy' is impossible.

It's a good thing I drink already...

Best of the best to you!

RolexAddict

Just curious...

I re-cut by filling and grinding metal using files and dremel, then caliper mesuring and ajust, then fine finishing, it was about 5 hours to get a complete an acceptable work. Its fine, I will show soon post of the finished mod. 5 hours (made in several steps, but I totalized) is not impossible, but I will never do this again.

If makers and dealers would like consider the GMT 1675, it could be a great business for them and customers. They have CNC machines, they just need to program new specs on existing background cases, not difficult, they just need the motivation. The market exists.

Instead of produce shit.

AllergyDoc

Dealer "NIghtwatch" makes PAM cases for DSN and Silix. I wonder if he could work up a GMT case to spec?

Luthier

Just curious...

I re-cut by filling and grinding metal using files and dremel, then caliper mesuring and ajust, then fine finishing, it was about 5 hours to get a complete an acceptable work. Its fine, I will show soon post of the finished mod. 5 hours (made in several steps, but I totalized) is not impossible, but I will never do this again.

No, I meant a whole job, not just case grinding. A whole job on the watch, til it's done and rest on your wrist, finished.

RolexAddict

Just curious...

No, I meant a whole job, not just case grinding. A whole job on the watch, til it's done and rest on your wrist, finished.

o.k, if I say I start and end the project from A to Z, I will say 2 complete days to produce the watch from scratch to the wrist, I will post pics of the finished product in a few days.

sconehead

...now this is extreme modding...my hat's off to you...:lol:

RolexAddict
...now this is extreme modding...my hat's off to you...:lol:

thanks JoeyB and scone and all members for your support, its just motivation, trying to accomplish something during my free time.

When its a hobby, you don't count. If you want to build a business, you realize that time is money, and its a lot of reflexions to try to produce something accurate and at a reasonable price,

Mod a Sub or a See Dweller is easy as we have lot of options for cases and dials, the GMT Master is really a problem.

KinCaidk

RA- The work you put into this project is amazing.

I am blown away by your attention to detail.

Bravo!!

greg_r

+1 to everything KinCaidk said...

:beer2:

Brightlight

As usual, very impressive work RA :beer2:

k3rm87

Shitload of work mate, good stuff :D