Sign in to follow this  
Eiderdaus

Sub 16610 Rep movement

Eiderdaus

Hello,

anyone know by cooinzident what kind of movement that is ? The winding stem is broken and I want to replace it. But I don´t know what and where I need to order replacement parts (living in the EU) and I cannot simply go to a watchsmith in a mall (they don´t help with reps, I tried already). I know one guy that is willing to help but first I would like to try myself as I am pretty interested in learning about those things.

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

This watch was bought 2007 in Thailand.

The bezel is that kind of where you have to glue a new one.

What I would like to do:

- replace the winding stem (maybe change the crown?)

- change the saphirre

- change the bezel

- change the seal and o-ring

- relume (superluminova)

these parts I do need anyway nevertheless if the guy will do it or myself.

So maybe someone here can tell me what sizes I need or how to find out what sizes I need and where to get ( hopefully in EU).

thank you in advance for your help

pollux1

I can't see pics, but if it's an ETA based sub and you would like to keep it, you could probably add a gen crown and stem, BK may have some. The problem will lie in having it fitted as you can seriously mess up the movement of your watch if you don't know what you're doing, learn slowly seems to be the way to get anywhere with watches and it would be a good idea to practice on cheapies first anyway.

However you're in luck as Domi is an EU based modder also Francisco, search around here and other boards to find them and read up on their work. Oh btw Domi isn't that far away from you :D. Hope this helps. :beer2:

Eiderdaus
However you're in luck as Domi is an EU based modder also Francisco, search around here and other boards to find them and read up on their work. Oh btw Domi isn't that far away from you :D. Hope this helps. :beer2:

I am in contact with domi already and he is willing to work on it but doesn´t have spareparts. So I need to organize them anyway therefore I would need an adress where to order. And I guess it will end up that I send all the stuff to domi but I would like to know the sizes and where to buy to start buying more spareparts for the eventuallity.

Silverspeed

Looks to me like a, rather nicely finished, Chinese 21j movement. The problem with these

movements is that there are som many different versions it will be very hard to find the right parts. Besides

it wouldn't be cost efficient....new 21j movements starts at €15

Considering the mods you would like to have done...best to find a BK WM sub

Eiderdaus
Considering the mods you would like to have done...best to find a BK WM sub

Yeah, this I buy anyway, but thats not the point. I will learn how to do things. And I should start with getting knowledge about the sizes what I need.

The movement is still working its only the winding stem and this should cost about 3-4 dollars: If I really need a new movement which to choose. I would rather buy an eta than another chinese.

What are the indicators that you assume thats an asian 21j movement ? how can you identify 21j instead of 25j?

on the movement its an engraving saying 2836-2

IMG_2958.jpg

and all reps are cheap so no worries with what to start. since this is an old one and i got a gen 16610 and a noobmariner from narikaa I can take the risk damaging the watch. and bk will someday selling the v3 to me when all components have arrived.

So I would be happy about tipps how to do things not just leave it as it is and give it away. as i mentioned before, i am in contact with domi and if nothing will work out i will send him the watch (if theres a single good piece left after my attempts :beer2:)

pollux1

Show the dealers the pics of your movement and see if they have any for sale, if it's just an Asian 21jewel it won't be expensive.

pollux1

You'll know right away by the sweep of the second hand, eight beats a second for the ETA 25j's and less for the 21j's.

Eiderdaus
You'll know right away by the sweep of the second hand, eight beats a second for the ETA 25j's and less for the 21j's.

I cannot count this in a single second :beer2: what do I need to measure that ?

What is the crown size of a submariner 16610 ?

Silverspeed
on the movement its an engraving saying 2836-2

IMG_2958.jpg

Oops....looks like it's a ETA clone movement then instead of a 21j

Silverspeed

PM Brightlight or Rolexaddict they are the RWG Rollies experts...sure they can answer

Eiderdaus
PM Brightlight or Role

xaddict they are the RWG Rollies experts...sure they can answer

yeah I did...lets wait

sconehead

You need a 24-703-0, it's 7mm and the tap size (thread) will screw right on to an ETA stem...:beer2:

KBH

That appears to be PT's original 1:1 , also known as the Euromariner and WM9 v1.

Submariner1g.jpg

BK can probably supply you with all the parts and info that you need.

Did you actually break the stem or are you just not able to screw down the crown?

Brightlight

ETA 2836-2 stems are available in packs of 3 from Cousins UK.

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/75/328.aspx

ETA 2801.2 401 Stem, Tap 9 ETA28012401 £3.00 PACK*3 (You need to add VAT and postage to that)

Do you have a pic of the stem and crown so we can see the damage if any?

Eiderdaus

yeah,

thanks for the good tipps regarding the stem and the crown, I ordered the winding stems and an original crown (unfortunately i was too fast and ordered a crown 6,5mm (cheap and gen for 8,5€ from an old lady) and an 7mm gen for 35$.(BOTH are used)

here is the pic from the winding stem

IMG_2960.jpg

the small end is broken up

Brightlight

If the wrong crown has a line below the crown (instead of 2 or three dots) and you want to resell it I would be interested. PM me a pic if so.

By the way, did the small end of the stem which broke off come out? If not, you don't want that hanging around in there, it could destroy your movement. It would be worth taking the movement out and dismantling the keyless works to make sure. Also did you remove the stem (by pressing the stem lock button) or did it come out by itself? If the latter you may have to have your movement looked at.

Eiderdaus

no, its not the old crown with the line, I know which you mean.

Yes the little end came off. I unlocked the stem and everything was fine, but as I tried to put the stem back in the movement i couldn´t fix it. so I was impatient and used the stem as a srewdriver and tried to stick it into the small lockhole and pushed too hard :lol:

I only learn from making mistakes ...;)

Brightlight

Hopefully you won't have messed up the keyless works, you'll know when you try to insert the new stem if doesn't lock into position. However, if you have affected the keyless works, you have a nice learning experience coming up, it's not difficult to fix, there are plenty of tutorials around and people to help, and it gives a great deal of satisfaction when you do fix it! Oh, and if any parts disappear into the Bermuda Triangle, you can get replacements from Cousins UK. This for me is partly what the hobby is about - learning to do your own repairs :lol:

Incidentally you can remove the old crown from the broken stem. Just hold the stem with a pair of pointed nose pliers, and with your hand try and unscrew the crown. If it is too tight, heat it up first.

Eiderdaus
Hopefully you won't have messed up the keyless works, you'll know when you try to insert the new stem if doesn't lock into position. However, if you have affected the keyless works, you have a nice learning experience coming up, it's not difficult to fix, there are plenty of tutorials around and people to help, and it gives a great deal of satisfaction when you do fix it! Oh, and if any parts disappear into the Bermuda Triangle, you can get replacements from Cousins UK. This for me is partly what the hobby is about - learning to do your own repairs :lol:

Incidentally you can remove the old crown from the broken stem. Just hold the stem with a pair of pointed nose pliers, and with your hand try and unscrew the crown. If it is too tight, heat it up first.

IMG_2961.jpg

DONE ;) Thanks Ron

Eiderdaus

And what makes me wonder, shouldn´t have the sub a 2824-2 date movment instead on 2836-2 ? Thought 2836-2 would be day-date ? Anyone can help ?

sconehead

...due to a surplus and the popularity of the 2836-2 movements which can be used in day/date and date only watches this was the rep makers movement of choice...

Eiderdaus

but that would mean that there is a day wheel useless in the watch ? when i want to change the movement in a rep i could go for a 11 1/2 eta 2824-2 as well ?

sconehead

nope, 2836-2 is a thicker movement, 5.2/5.3mm versus 2824 4.6/4.7mm...

Luthier

How much did you pay for this watch?

If I'm not mistaken, there was a number "480 baht" in the first post, no?