Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

RWG1: JohnG policing the Bay

JohnG

Fake SMP Chrono listed with 3303

The 3303 caliber has a tight subdial spacing but this version (which should have the 3303 as stated by seller) has the subdial spacing of a 1164 (Valjoux 7750), which this particular version of the SMP Chrono never used (that I am aware of anyway - if anyone can find a pic of a gen with this subdial spacing I would love to see it - in which case it still wouldn't be a 3303 as stated by seller). Even the holes for caseback removal tool are incorrect - not stepped, just a straight bore.

Gen w/ 3303:

07_07_05_omega_seamaster_chrono_bd_c.JPG

eBay seller's (supposedly with 3303):

8e24_3.JPG

Josh's rep w/ A7750 (incorrect for this watch):

1.jpg

AllergyDoc

Good eye. The hour markers at 3 and 9 on the seller's watch are also a lot different.

I remember the old guards' advice on buying gens was, don't do it unless you and the seller can take the watch into an AD and have it authenticated. I suppose with ebay and paypal, you still have recourse if they sell you a rep. Unless the guy disappears.

JohnG
Good eye. The hour markers at 3 and 9 on the seller's watch are also a lot different.

I remember the old guards' advice on buying gens was, don't do it unless you and the seller can take the watch into an AD and have it authenticated. I suppose with ebay and paypal, you still have recourse if they sell you a rep. Unless the guy disappears.

I looked at his feedback and he sells almost all old vintage watches - I think he probably doesn't know. He might have got ripped off himself. Anyway, I reported it...

JohnG

I have now reported from both my Spanish and U.S. accounts - no a peep from this guy...

greg_r

Good spot. I've reported quite a few myself over the last several months - hate to see people getting ripped off.

JohnG

I am thinking of opening an eBay account just for physical threats...

you know, I use it to pm these guys and describe in detail how I am going to track them down and cut their penis off and force-feed it to them...

greg_r

hmm - that account wouldn't stay open long, is my guess :)

JohnG

from seller:

HI, THE WATCH IS AUTHENTIC, THE DESCRIPTION I GOT FROM OTHER WEBSITE, I WILL CHECK WITH MY WATCHMAKER BAOUT THE MOVEMENT.

REGARDS

RICHARD

the watch is fake but I think he thinks it is real. I told him to open it - it is an Asian 7750 FUR SURE.

onzenuub
from seller:

HI, THE WATCH IS AUTHENTIC, THE DESCRIPTION I GOT FROM OTHER WEBSITE, I WILL CHECK WITH MY WATCHMAKER BAOUT THE MOVEMENT.

REGARDS

RICHARD

the watch is fake but I think he thinks it is real. I told him to open it - it is an Asian 7750 FUR SURE.

Well it is Richard, yes it's a fake one

JohnG
from seller:

REGARDS

RICHARD

Well it is Richard, yes it's a fake one

Where is your little flashing POWERMAX?

How did you beat me? :nana:

trailboss99

Well spoted. I suspect your correct in asuming that he thinks it's real. A few more folk should call him on it and he may listen. Onze, you know the guy?

Col.

BTW: I think you can safely stop puting "RWG1" in front of every post now matey :nana:

'specialy since this is RWG1.1

alphakazi

734 sales and this guy has a flawless 100% feedback - either

a ) there is a lot of dumb people out there,

b ) this guys doesn't know a whole lot about watches,

c ) he's a good con artist or

d ) all of the above

*sent him a message

alphakazi
hi,my watcmaker will be open the watch tomorrow, must hae a 3033 caliber if not i will return to the original owner.

regards

richard

trailboss99

LOL, there is NO WAY KNOWN that it has a 3303 let alone a 3033, whatever that is. Good luck to him returning it.

Col.

JohnG
LOL, there is NO WAY KNOWN that it has a 3303 let alone a 3033, whatever that is. Good luck to him returning it.

Col.

He sent me basically the same message he sent Kazi.

He meant 3303.

As to returning it - depends on whether the person he got it from is legit and got taken like him, or knowingly pawned this off on him... Could be the chain goes back a way. Also depends on whether he has the guy's address/phone/driver's license number, etc... I would be shocked if he didn't at least get that because a watch without papers could be stolen...

I feel bad for the guy - he is legit, just doesn't know much about fakes - all he previous sales seem to be with vintage watches from the 60's. I imagine this hasn't been something he has had to worry about before.

JohnG

Well he stopped the auction.

I figured he would as soon as his fears were confirmed... poor guy.

Dead Bird Dog
734 sales and this guy has a flawless 100% feedback - either

a ) there is a lot of dumb people out there,

b ) this guys doesn't know a whole lot about watches,

c ) he's a good con artist or

d ) all of the above

*sent him a message

Here's the thing...most people would never have a clue that a good quality rep was a rep. They get it, it looks good, and works just fine for a long time. Any of the reputable dealers we discuss can provide that kind of product. As a group we're far more informed than the average person but if someone handed us a watch we were not familiar with how would even any of us know?

As someone stated before...buying "legit" online is fraught with peril.

trailboss99

Yeppers, if he's a good guy thats a shame. Caveat emptor. Lesson learned.

Col.

greg_r
Here's the thing...most people would never have a clue that a good quality rep was a rep. They get it, it looks good, and works just fine for a long time. Any of the reputable dealers we discuss can provide that kind of product. As a group we're far more informed than the average person but if someone handed us a watch we were not familiar with how would even any of us know?

As someone stated before...buying "legit" online is fraught with peril.

Excellent point. Certainly I'd want to be VERY sure I'd done my homework correctly before buying a used gen from anyone other than an AD - and I'd still be doing my research even then.

JohnG
Excellent point. Certainly I'd want to be VERY sure I'd done my homework correctly before buying a used gen from anyone other than an AD - and I'd still be doing my research even then.

Amazing that people had bid this up from opening bid of $100 to $690 already...

It is easy to understand the temptation for the scammers - there are SO MANY suckers out there...

greg_r

Amazing that people had bid this up from opening bid of $100 to $690 already...

It is easy to understand the temptation for the scammers - there are SO MANY suckers out there...

One born every minute...

I'll confess I'm occasionally tempted to consider these kinda deals a 'stupidity tax', but I hate to see ripoff artists getting away with it.

onzenuub

Just shoot them, problem solved.

greg_r

Who? The scammers or the people silly enough to fall for the scam? Or both? :lol:

onzenuub

Who? The scammers or the people silly enough to fall for the scam? Or both? :lol:

Both, all problems solved.

greg_r

Both, all problems solved.

Works for me.