Sign in to follow this  
Electron17

Wore my gen Omega Seamaster today...

Bosox

Almost three years ago I bought a UN which I keep on a winder but wear infrequently (Why did I buy it?) It crapped out about three months ago but I had an extended warranty, so I sent if to Boca Raton where it was repaired. It's running fine and UN also added a year's warranty. Since that purchase, I have bought only one gen watch, a JLC Tribute to 1931 Reverso. It's not repped and I love it. But now I'm a bit gun shy. I recently saw the most beautiful UN LE, really eyecatching with a price to match. I am having second thoughts about the upkeep of gens once off warranty. So expensive as I discovered with a Rolex years ago. I'll toss a rep if it can't be repaired locally, as I figure three years with a rep is still a good deal pricewise. But I've never had a rep die on me. Hope my luck holds.

Thang

I am sorry for OP to have bad experience with Gen. I would be mad if I am in the same situation. I would expect all gen to work flawlessly when I have to pay that much for a watch. I hope OP will get it work out without too much inconvenience.

myaz

For all the anti-Gen guys here, know that when (Omega anyway) does your service, on any watch, reagrdless of age, you have with that (significant expense) a full one-year warranty. In otherwords, if you serviced your watch, and ANYTHING went wrong (except something like the bracelet failing, unless that was replaced) it would be covered.

Heh, heh. Not openly anti gen, got many gens myself, I just tend to choke and break out in itchy red blotches when I see some of the "better" gen prices.

To the point, My GE microwave oven just broke last week after a year and a half. It had taken me a week-end to fabricate a frame for it as it is built in and I decided to repair it (significant expense) as opposed to buying a new one. The tech put in a coil and a magnetron. That came with a 5 YEAR warranty. Are you listening, Omega? (and most others)

Electron17

Hi Guys,

It is great to see all the comments and related stories on this thread. It is somewhat heart warming to have had a bad start with this watch turn into a good ending. I am still finding it hard to reconcile buying a gen when I see what I can buy in reps for the same money. I recently had some spare money become available and decided to complete my collection with watches I really like. I thought long and hard about buying a gen Planet Ocean but when I consider what I could buy in reps it was a no brainer. For the cost of a PO in SA I already have 2 UPO's in the post and am looking at getting a BK sub-c, 2 PO GMT's, an Omega Liquid metal Titanium and still have plenty of change. Instead of one watch I will have 6 very good watches and money to spare. They may not be quite the same quality as a gen but the BK sub will be very close I think. I may buy a gen PO at some time in the future but for now it is reps all the way.

Thanks for reading.

honeybear
For all the anti-Gen guys here, know that when (Omega anyway) does your service, on any watch, reagrdless of age, you have with that (significant expense) a full one-year warranty. In otherwords, if you serviced your watch, and ANYTHING went wrong (except something like the bracelet failing, unless that was replaced) it would be covered.

The one year warranty after a factory service is pretty standard.

J!m

Yeah, same as buying a Gen new- unless it is an Omega. Any Co-Axial Omega bought new comes with a two-year warrany. That is the longest in the industry. I believe all other non-co-axial movements have the standard one-year warranty, and all service comes with a one-year warranty.

No regrets- this is my second gen Omega and I think they are excellent value, as well as exceedingly rugged.

jcglobal

If it were mine I'd take it to the TD and tell him the problem. He might say you are not wearing it enough and to wear it for a couple weeks then if same problem service it. Of course he might take in for service immediately. You know what happens to the asians, sometimes they run a little rough right out of the box then with wear they settle in and run great. Should not happen with a six thousand dollar gen, but mabye it does. If you have a winder you could try that too. I'd check with the TD first though. You don't want him saying "why did you put it on a winder, you should have brought it in right away..." or something like that. They can be masters at contrarian logic.

Good luck. The good news is that if it has to go back to Omega they will put it right, but there is the cost and the wait.