Sign in to follow this  
cpapakon

Cartier Santos 100

cpapakon

Hello all,

My name is Chris and this is my first post.

I am interested in buying a Cartier Santos 100 automatic (white with brown preferably or black leather strap).

I was in Dubai last weekend and while I was shopping around I saw several of them.

Most were quartz - chronographs. I was not impressed at all with what I saw.

I only saw one relatively nice automatic but the strap was thin and was peeling of at the sides.

So I did not buy it (I thought that it will cost me as much to get a decent leather band to replace it).

Anyway, my question to you, has anyone bought a good replica for around 150$ (max 200 including shipping)?

DG335

Wrong section to post mate. Should be in "General"

Use the search button or go straight to one of the dealer sites listed under trusted such as trusty time. Don't own this rep but you'll find all the answers there

cpapakon

Thanks for the reply.

I am sorry about the wrong section if a mod sees it maybe he could move it to general.

I searched all websites and send e-mails. I did find several. In pictures they seem fine.

To be honest I can not distinguish a difference between a $600 one from a $100 one (from the pics of course). But even the cheap ones I saw in person seemed ok (minus the thin strap).

Until you pulled the crown. I got the feeling that they were so badly made that the crown will break off, or if you pull it you will easily be able to remove it (it actually happened to one).

The $30 casios are 100 times better made than the ones I saw.

This is the main reason I am very sceptical.

I have never bought a replica before and maybe my expectations are very high, but on the other hand we are not talking about watches that cost 10$.....

Edited by cpapakon

Kcore

A "good" rep can mean different things to different people. That's a very perceptual word. What's good to you could be junk to someone else.

With that said, IMO the max price you want to spend will only get you a quartz or 21J movt rep. I can't speak of the quartz Santos reps but the 21j all have dials with very poor numerial spacing and bad crown jewel color. Again, IMO, "not good." You'll need to go up in price for a better ( movt, dial, crown jewel, etc.) Santos. Either way all Santos 100 reps have cheap looking and cheap feel straps, regardless of their price point.

You might want to check with Toro who is a TD here. I remember him offering a Santos 100 at a reasonable price and a number of RWG members who made the purchase were happy.

DR3M3L

I bought a santos in M2M sales, waiting to get it, as soon as it arrives I'll write a review :)

I'm getting the one from toro with a 2824 movement inside, I'm expection quite much of it :)

cpapakon

I bought a santos in M2M sales, waiting to get it, as soon as it arrives I'll write a review :)

I'm getting the one from toro with a 2824 movement inside, I'm expection quite much of it :)

What do you mean by M2M sales?

cpapakon

A "good" rep can mean different things to different people. That's a very perceptual word. What's good to you could be junk to someone else.

With that said, IMO the max price you want to spend will only get you a quartz or 21J movt rep. I can't speak of the quartz Santos reps but the 21j all have dials with very poor numerial spacing and bad crown jewel color. Again, IMO, "not good." You'll need to go up in price for a better ( movt, dial, crown jewel, etc.) Santos. Either way all Santos 100 reps have cheap looking and cheap feel straps, regardless of their price point.

You might want to check with Toro who is a TD here. I remember him offering a Santos 100 at a reasonable price and a number of RWG members who made the purchase were happy.

First of although I do not own any replica, I have seen many and I agree with your statement.

For me the leather strap is a big issue, a very big issue indeed.

So I can not accept spending big bucks because of a movement, or correct dials.

As for Toro's web site the cheapest version goes for $300 plus shipping, thus out of the question.

I did not see any offer (although I did read in the forum about the $150 deal - probably it ended).

One more question, are there real differencies in quality control between a $200 replica versus a $500 one?

Or the difference is based mainly on the movement?

baruch

out of the question, you wont find a cartier santos for tat price- not a good one.

Kcore

With all due respect, if this is really how you feel, you might want to give serious consideration and not even bother with reps.

cpapakon

With all due respect, if this is really how you feel, you might want to give serious consideration and not even bother with reps.

Thank you for your input.

You helped me to make a decision.

Because I would bitch about the strap if I had paid more than $200, I ordered one from priceangels.

Hell I got it for $55 shipped, so I will have no reason to complain about the lousy strap.

How bad can it be? Most probably like the ones I saw in Dubai (but in half price).

I just hope it will arrive in a working condition......(I know it's a gamble)

Hopefully I will not regret it.

Thank you again.

dingle

Because I would bitch about the strap if I had paid more than $200, I ordered one from priceangels.

Hell I got it for $55 shipped, so I will have no reason to complain about the lousy strap.

How bad can it be? Most probably like the ones I saw in Dubai (but in half price).

Thank you again.

:facepalm:

DR3M3L

Priceangels? :picard:

BentleySharp

Thank you again.

:facepalm:

Having just bought a Cartier rep I was prepared to give some advice about movements and the quality of straps on reps in general. Then I kept reading...

There is nothing left for me to say or do except :facepalm:

nunu78

The one ive got from late Robert the great, same as G have the best leather strap i have ever seen on rep.

nunu78

My ult.

e2e7ec62.jpg

Kcore

Thank you again.

As Lennon sang, "Any time at all."

and they call me mad!

digger2

Thank you again.

Hi mate, PA have got some very goof offers for some reps but this is not one of them, for a good rep of that watch with a good strap you need to pay about 400 USD period...

cpapakon

Having just bought a Cartier rep I was prepared to give some advice about movements and the quality of straps on reps in general. Then I kept reading...

There is nothing left for me to say or do except :facepalm:

Guys I respect your opinions and that's why I asked.

I know you disagree with my action but I was told that all straps are of poor quality regardless the price.

That's why I did not want to spend more.

Please tell me about the quality of the straps and the movements.

I would be very interested to read your opinion.

If I were not interested I would not have asked in the first place.

DR3M3L

Priceangels;

Strap- crap

Movement- crap

Everything else- crap

Our TD's;

Strap- not great

Movement- great

Everything else- awesome

Kcore

I know you disagree with my action but I was told that all straps are of poor quality regardless the price.

Chris, I just re-read the thread and realize I never said, "Welcome." Please excuse this faux pas, and Welcome to the forum.

The best thing you can do is to read, read, read starting in the New Member section with the pinned threads. If you haven't done so, also take a moment and introduce yourself there. The next best thing you can do is to use the forum's search box. You'll find a ton of good info. on the Cartier Santos 100 and will also find the answers to these questions.

While I only speak for myself, your replies sure made it sound that your concern was in the quality of a strap and not the watch itself. In the rep hobby, you're "paying" for the quality of the watch, not the strap. You can buy cheap, inexpensive and go all the way up to downright expensive. The cost of a rep usually increases as the rep is manufactured to more closely mimic the gen. Increased cost factors include the type/quality of the movt., Swiss ETA, Swiss Selita, Asian ETA clone, etc.

There are some highend cost reps that come with very good straps, but IMO, the lion share do not. Again IMO, the Santos 100 doesn't, even the top of the line, 2009, 1:1, Ult. ver that's considered a super rep. comes with a crappy alligator grain stamped strap. This is why many of the folks in the rep hobby procure straps from other sources. You'll find many great custom strap makers here on RWG that are members and some are TDs too.

I do hope you get what you're looking for from PA and not disappointed. Until then, welcome again and read, read, read!

cpapakon

Chris, I just re-read the thread and realize I never said, "Welcome." Please excuse this faux pas, and Welcome to the forum.

The best thing you can do is to read, read, read starting in the New Member section with the pinned threads. If you haven't done so, also take a moment and introduce yourself there. The next best thing you can do is to use the forum's search box. You'll find a ton of good info. on the Cartier Santos 100 and will also find the answers to these questions.

While I only speak for myself, your replies sure made it sound that your concern was in the quality of a strap and not the watch itself. In the rep hobby, you're "paying" for the quality of the watch, not the strap. You can buy cheap, inexpensive and go all the way up to downright expensive. The cost of a rep usually increases as the rep is manufactured to more closely mimic the gen. Increased cost factors include the type/quality of the movt., Swiss ETA, Swiss Selita, Asian ETA clone, etc.

There are some highend cost reps that come with very good straps, but IMO, the lion share do not. Again IMO, the Santos 100 doesn't, even the top of the line, 2009, 1:1, Ult. ver that's considered a super rep. comes with a crappy alligator grain stamped strap. This is why many of the folks in the rep hobby procure straps from other sources. You'll find many great custom strap makers here on RWG that are members and some are TDs too.

I do hope you get what you're looking for from PA and not disappointed. Until then, welcome again and read, read, read!

Thanks for the reply.

I did a relatively extensive search and read the pinned sections before I posted.

I understand what you said about pricing, movements and how close the replica looks to the real watch.

I wish I could actually see and touch the watches, as the pictures are sometimes deceiving.

I guess only then I will be able to appreciate the difference and convince my self to spend more.

Don't get me wrong but I am not willing to spend $400 or more on something that MAY disappoint me.

my regards

Dr. Jimmy

Don't get me wrong but I am not willing to spend $400 or more on something that MAY disappoint me.

my regards

So you spent $55 on something that is CERTAIN to disappoint you. Excellent thinking.

deju

So the Jist of this thread;

Dude goes to the Al ka (crap) rama in Dubai.

See's watches that are over priced in a tourist trap. We're talking silix $35 dollar specials for $150+ for those that don't know of the place.

Goes home and buys a rep online for $55 to "avoid" disappointment.

Cool story bro.

cpapakon

So the Jist of this thread;

Dude goes to the Al ka (crap) rama in Dubai.

See's watches that are over priced in a tourist trap. We're talking silix $35 dollar specials for $150+ for those that don't know of the place.

Goes home and buys a rep online for $55 to "avoid" disappointment.

Cool story bro.

Listen "Dude", I do not appreciate your sarcasm.

What I do with my money is my business.

I asked for opinions, and made a judgment based on kind replies of some very nice members.

I wanted a decent santos 100 replica for less than 200$.

I was told that I need to spend at least $400 for a decent one (but still I may have been disappointed with the leather band).

My point of view (and I am sure most of you here will disagree completely): I don't believe that it is a good idea to pay $400 for a replica.

I would rather spend the money to buy a used brand name watch for that money.

I recently paid 800$ for an immaculate genuine seamaster pro (and I do not have to take it off when I swim).

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing anyone in the forum. This is my humble personal opinion.

And yes, I may have made a mistake, but I would be the one to judge that...

People have different points of view you know. There is no black or white but many shades of gray.

To conclude, you should not be judgmental, but rather welcome new members in the forum, and provide information if you feel like it.

Enough said....

deju

I'm not judgmental :) I just find the logic flawed on not spending $400 to avoid disappointment.

As mentioned, $55 versions will be as disappointing as the al Karama.

Logic on not spending $400 and buying used gens is valid though :)