Sign in to follow this  
cpapakon

Cartier Santos 100

DR3M3L

I recently paid 800$ for an immaculate genuine seamaster pro (and I do not have to take it off when I swim).

I did never swim with my gen Omega as I know it'll be never 100% safe. As an example, jumping in the water can vreate a high pressure on the watch which can make almost any 100m water resistant watch leak. Then there are 1000m or even 2000m water resistant watches, but I don't take the risk myself :) Also, I never wear it in the shower as the hot water also makes a big difference in the whole water resistant thingy...

Not to blame you, only gave you my opinion to make you do some research on the water resistant watches and protect yourself of losing a great watch.

cpapakon

I recently paid 800$ for an immaculate genuine seamaster pro (and I do not have to take it off when I swim).

I did never swim with my gen Omega as I know it'll be never 100% safe. As an example, jumping in the water can vreate a high pressure on the watch which can make almost any 100m water resistant watch leak. Then there are 1000m or even 2000m water resistant watches, but I don't take the risk myself :) Also, I never wear it in the shower as the hot water also makes a big difference in the whole water resistant thingy...

Not to blame you, only gave you my opinion to make you do some research on the water resistant watches and protect yourself of losing a great watch.

This is off topic but since you mentioned it:

In theory you are right (although the theory is a bit far fetched IMHO).

As far as I know, extreme changes of temperature could be a problem because the coefficients of thermal expansion of the seals and the case are not the same. However small changes in temperature should not affect a properly maintained watch.

The temperature of the water that a person can handle in the bathroom should really never create issues. Neither the sea/ocean temperatures.

Problems that people have is due to damaged seals, or not properly screwed crowns.

When I got my first seamaster pro I was wearing it pretty night and day for more than 4 years and showered daily with it, it literally lived with me.

It is now more than 10 years old and never had issues with waterproofing.

Furthermore, I never had problems with any of my other diving watches (citizen, seiko).

I daily take showers and always swim and snorkel with them.

All of them are at least 100m rated (most 200m or 300m rated). It is important of course to have the seals checked/replaced every now and then.

I can see how for a 30m or even a 50m rated watch showering/swimming can be a problem (Most owners of speedmasters do not use them in the sea, and I wouldn't too).

What's the reason of buying a diving watch if you can not swim/shower with it???? (In that case I would gladly buy a $400 replica).

Ref: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/watches-shower-216412-2.html

yawn

I bought the ultimate version, the strap isn't great but acceptable; I then proceed to buy a gen strap, what surprised me is the gen strap is also thin. You have to look close and touch the leather to tell the difference. But I m a picky man. If you go with the ultimate version, you should be ok, find one in m2m section and buy from established members will give you bang for your bucks. Happy hunting.

cpapakon

I bought the ultimate version, the strap isn't great but acceptable; I then proceed to buy a gen strap, what surprised me is the gen strap is also thin. You have to look close and touch the leather to tell the difference. But I m a picky man. If you go with the ultimate version, you should be ok, find one in m2m section and buy from established members will give you bang for your bucks. Happy hunting.

Thank you, I will check the M2M section.

Let me ask you, other than the crown what are the differences between the ultimate version and a not ultimate (let's say with a Swiss ETA Movement 2824-2)?

I can not tell from the pictures.

yawn

Thank you, I will check the M2M section.

Let me ask you, other than the crown what are the differences between the ultimate version and a not ultimate (let's say with a Swiss ETA Movement 2824-2)?

I can not tell from the pictures.

Gap between 10 and 11 clock marker if I remember correctly.

Kcore

You know where I stand on the gen strap Yawn. We've discussed this when I was purchasing my Ult. Ver Santos. The gen strap IMO wasn't worth the $400 USD the ADs were asking for it. IMO again, it wasn't worth $200. That's why I wnet with a fully custom Hornback from HK Tan. A touch over $2 for a georgeous, custom made strap.