Sign in to follow this  
flawless85

Ultimate Planet Ocean 42mm vs. Ceramic Side by Side review

flawless85

I just purchased the Ultimate Planet Ocean 42mm version from a TD in this Forum and since I haven't seen too many side by side reviews of the "old" and "new" planet ocean, here we go:

For those who are considering buying a gen or rep Planet Ocean and are not sure which way to go here are the major differences between the two:

Movement: The new gen comes with Omega's first inhouse made 8500 movement. The UPO comes with a modified ETA movement.

Size/Weight: The new Planet Ocean is thicker (due to the new movement), making it 2mm higher and for that reason it is also heavier

Bezel: The new PO comes with a ceramic bezel, the UPO comes with a stainless steel bezel (we will come back to that later)

Back: The new PO has a glass cover on the back, the UPO has the good old metal cover

Dial/Hands: The Dial on the Ceramic version looks "blacker" on the pics but actually this is just because of the blue AR coating on the UPO. The hands have different colors on the Ceramic. The ceramic version has a 2 color lume, the UPO comes with an all green lume.

I bought the "new" 8500 ceramic replica a few months ago so it is a little older. The UPO arrived last week and I haven't really worn it so far.

Both reps come with a ETA 2824 movement and are keeping time very well.

The movement on the ceramic version is pretty well done in terms of decoration. Through the glass back cover you can see the movement work and the makers have done a pretty good job here!

The biggest difference to me is the much bolder look of the ceramic version. The wider bezel and the red "seamaster" writing are most obvious changes from the UPO. However, how you may notice the bezel is already fading on the ceramic version. I read about this alot in the forums and this seems to happen with most of the ceramic reps.

Here are some pics (excuse the bad quality, I am not really good at this)

front1_zps81fb4b68.jpg

front4_zps0e2cd609.jpg

The chrystal on both replicas is a domed sapphire with double AR coating. The coating on the ceramic version has been scratching very easily and I really don't know if this will happen with the UPO too. I will be able to tell probably in a few weeks:) The Hands on the ceramic version seem to be cheaper than on the UPO. Looking very closely, one can see that they are scratched and this really tells that it is a replica!

front3_zpsd9a3f13a.jpg

front2_zps34fcac3b.jpg

The bezel is fading on the ceramic. I have been wearing it at work for 2 months but mostly covered by a shirt.

back1_zps7a56eaa2.jpg

back2_zps8391f9de.jpg

The clasp and band work smoother on the ceramic version and they seem to be higher quality!

As for the lume, UPO has a much brighter and evenly spread lume on the hands and dial! Well done...

My favorite is the UPO, It just looks much better without the fading bezel. Don't get me wrong! Both reps are veryhigh quality watches but the UPO wins!

Like I said, I bought both of them at TD's from the forum. Just message me if you would like to know more about the prices and Dealers.

regards

Edited by flawless85

ryaku

Nice comparison and write up!

I like the ceramic Po a lot but the thickness is a real deal breaker for me

flawless85

It really is a big one! Like I said, I prefer the UPO too :cheerleader2:

Pharmo

thanks for that mate....great write up :)

Rockzz22

Thanks for taking time to post enjoyed

LightGeek

The ceramic is visually quite a bit thicker which makes it not as nice for smaller wrists. I did the UPO, went to ceramic pumpkin, then back to UPO for that very reason.

Dr. Jimmy

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Are the ceramic and liquid metal the same thickness?

George.

Thank you for this.. It will be interesting to hear about the AR on the latest version. I've had mine for a couple of months now and the coating is scratched to shit. I'll be looking to upgrade soon probably.

Thanks!

flawless85

Thank you for this.. It will be interesting to hear about the AR on the latest version. I've had mine for a couple of months now and the coating is scratched to shit. I'll be looking to upgrade soon probably.

Thanks!

The AR on the ceramic is very good and does what it is supposed to do. but the scratches really suck.. The AR on the older model has this cool blue tone and so far no scratches. Probably because I haven't really worn it outside :)

I will keep you posted!

flawless85

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Are the ceramic and liquid metal the same thickness?

I am not sure, but I believe that all the 8500 caliber PO's are coming with the same size cases. Only difference should be the diameter...

flawless85

Ok after wearing the UPO for 2 days the AR started getting tiny scratches… Seems to be the same issue as with the ceramic.

I think I will consider removing the AR on the outside...

cheers

Jan-mj

Thanks so much, I was just recently thinking about this!

Alex13

Dammit. I have the ceramic pumpkin PO, and small wrists, it sits a little awkwardly but wearable.

Been tossing up picking up the UPO V5 with the A4813 movement in a different bezel colour and now I think I have to. Maybe two of them.

On the UPO V5, the numbers look white rather than silver when compared to the ceramic. Is that how they are, or is it just the light?

Edited by Alex13

BaggyPants

That's not a UPO, it's a Version 5 42mm Planet Ocean. The so-called UPO (Ultimate Planet Ocean) is the 45mm version of the watch.

Best version of the old 42mm Planet Ocean - v5

Best version of the old 45mm Planet Ocean - UPO

Get's confusing if you talk about one, but mean the other.

BaggyPants

On the v5, the numbers look white rather than silver when compared to the ceramic. Is that how they are, or is it just the light?

They are white on the gen version.

Alex13

Thanks mate, appreciate the information ;) I always got confused between UPO and v5 and now it makes sense.

twofake

People are saying the external AR is scratching easily . What is on the gen? Does the gen external AR scratch easily and if not, what could be different?

dingle

nice review :)

jpohl402

Very nice review, and good idea to compare old and new models!

flawless85

Thanks for the explanation of the UPO and V5! Seems like I got them mixed up, sorry for that!

flawless85

Oh by the way: I had a Mido Ocean Star Captain IV for about a year and the AR does not scratch at all.. Seems like Gen's do have an advantage over reps! And even for a low price quality watch (900 USD or something) this chrystal is just awesome...

mattyjupatti

Lovely watch. Think the 42 will be my first purchase. Has any body found a cure for the bezel fade?

Markrfc
Lovely watch. Think the 42 will be my first purchase. Has any body found a cure for the bezel fade?

Fit a gen insert if you can all current models the bezel will fade eventually.

mattyjupatti

Fit a gen insert if you can all current models the bezel will fade eventually.

Thanks Mark, do you know if they definitely fit? Where would I go about purchasing one ?

jim993

Excellent review, many thanks.

Jim