Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

JSJ

They are punches for cutting round tuits. Much in demand, I could certainly do with a couple myself.

kamma

Little and large Apple corers Micky :lol:

SSTEEL

They are punches for cutting round tuits. Much in demand, I could certainly do with a couple myself.

They sure are, specifically for making my own date wheel spacers :)

Little and large Apple corers Micky :lol:

They would actually work like a charm no doubt for Apples :P

Anyhow, some more incomings..

Some new hand tools. The ones that came from the great RWG tool kit have served me well, but it was time they got replaced, so purchased some Hotortec hand pushers, and the 1mm levers.

16091551900_f4f606cab4.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Now this next item is a bit different, I was quite skeptical about the functionality of these when recommended them by a watchmaker friend, but for the inexpensive cost, I though why they hell not, worth a try..

Here it is..

15659047693_e980ba884c.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Its a desk duster. :P Works bloody well I have to say, quite impressed with it. Its battery powered, has a washable filter, and dust tray, and is perfect for dusting those out of the way areas, but what I like about it most is it will dust my dust covers lol, and my tool mats like the ones below, and you can leave your tools on there whilst dusting :D

16093072157_8bc74b4d71.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

And my latest gadget *cough* tool is this torch..

15672674903_79f7e0940a.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

I had been using until now a windproof lighter, but it give up the ghost recently, so wanted something more suitable anyway, main uses are to remove cyclops, and to soften shellac to a usable state. This flame is perfect for the latter..

16105019018_25f30d6f69.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Frazzle

Fully subscribed to this thread, loving the new tools Micky, keep the updates coming.

gingerr6

Had another reorganise of my tools to accommodate new, and incoming. I am seriously considering making a multilevel tool platform now, as workbench real estate is starting to dwindle a bit. I just wish I was good at woodwork.

15990940487_b9c7c9b672.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15989300708_c8ed2ca52a.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16175989122_fc61b2c6c8.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16174865381_e572e7df10.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Sweet looking setup. do you do this full time? or is it just for fun?

im just starting to "play", already fixed 2x 2836-2, think i got lucky :)

SSTEEL

Full time career now. Started out as a hobby really, watchmaking is my passion, I studied hard, invested a lot of time, dedication and money to watchmaking, both online, and locally attended TFWS and TZ courses, plus several great watchmaking books. My idol is the late George Daniels, who's the now Roger Smith follows in his footsteps.

2hot2trot

What watch making books would you recommend for the complete novice Micky?

SSTEEL

You can pick up most of the books I have here..

http://www.booksimonin.ch

- Treatise On Modern Horology by Claudius Saunier

- V1 of the Bergeon Catalog

- Watchmaking by George Daniels

- The Watchmaker and his Lathe < Currently reading this one, as my evolution in Watchmaking is evolving, and a mini lathe will be my next big investment.

Got my copy from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Watchmakers-and-Model-Engineers-Lathe-by-Donald-De-Carle-Hardback-2010-/391006928031?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item5b09d43c9f

Some more books for my friends across the pond..

http://www.ofrei.com/page216.html

A book on watches which is a great read on Brands is The World of Watches, by Lucien F. Trueb

Irishcain

Here are some other good ones:

The Theory of Horology by Reymondien

Bulova school training manual by Bulova School

The Chronograph - its mechanism and repair by Lang

The Practical guide to modern watch oiling by Mcmahan

The Swiss Watch Repairers Manual by Jendritzki

The Theory of Horology is pretty comprehensive and is the standard textbook in the Swiss schools. It's expensive though, so you might want to look at some of the others if price is important. Daniels' is a good book but it assumes you have a background in watchmaking already. Bulova is just about teaching you the hands-on, rather than the theory. The Chronograph is a mixture of both theory and application, but it is more centered on, funny enough, chronographs rather than general watches. And the guide to watch oiling is very useful if you want to just do basic maintenance on your watches. There's a ton of other books I could suggest, but these will give anyone who studies them a basic-intermediate understanding of horology, watch repair, and maintenance.

SSTEEL

Peg wood, and Manipulations tools.

I have tried, and tried, and tried, and still cannot achieve the best results cutting peg wood with my X-Acto knife, I don't know if I am doing it wrong or what, but I always manage to break the tip off the peg wood as it gets thinner, and to the point I wanted to achieve.

So in the meantime what I do is use sand paper to shape all my peg wood, and manipulation tools, this allows me to achieve a more precise point with more control over the final finish, using finer grades of sandpaper, then cape cod. I even shape one end into a flat edge which comes in handy for various tasks.

The only downside to the above it its quite time-consuming really, plus sometimes the acrylic rods pick up static, which is a pain when manipulating hands for example.

15778772044_ebe408c424_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16213602608_be6dcce9f5_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16215330287_15cb09cd7d_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16399495811_1b6deed3e6_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16399496451_96325b5c2a_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16399496901_1efb65cb1a_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16401250655_f75ab3bb97_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15781208803_9f362d5824_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

16213850020_6b9b964bdd_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15778776844_0ccd3e5b73_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

A few items arrived today from cousinsuk, a 2892A2 movement holder.

15781749153_92ac36f91c_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

I also have the A*F 7750 movement holder, and whilst these are ok, they are not as sturdy as I would like, so I plan on upgrading these, and others to the solid metal versions eventually.

Bergeon Dust cover. (Bell type)

16215561459_d2f51fbfc6_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And some padded inserts for my customers storage containers. I have been using watchmakers paper up until now, but these are so cheap it makes sense to get these as they offer just that little bit more protection.

15779321294_fcc3b108c8_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Unrelated to tools, but to a method I used for ageing some hands to give them that vintage look, I have Joran to thank for this idea, soaked the hands in coffee for 24 hours, and it worked a treat :) Thanks Joran :thumbsup2:

15770151273_c650bb3984_z.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

DR3M3L

The hands came out pretty good, tried the egg method yet? My first attempt came out pretty well. Will post pics later ;)

SSTEEL

Not tried the egg method yet mate, but will do, I have some more ideas on what to try too, so am at the experimental stage now :P

SSTEEL

Latest restock, plus I finally got that A*F bezel remover. These are perfect for the removal of Plant Ocean bezel assemblies.

16360776400_f60babb639.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

JSJ
Latest restock, plus I finally got that A*F bezel remover. These are perfect for the removal of Plant Ocean bezel assemblies.

16360776400_f60babb639.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Micky what's the best way to use the bezel removal tool? I read it's just a matter of grip by hand and twist anticlockwise?

SSTEEL

Just grip the bezel firmly, ensuring the removal tool lip is under the bezel, and twist clockwise, and pull off.

JSJ

Thanks Micky. I have two replacement bezel inserts a black and a pumpkin) on their way from Toro so I'll need to remove them so I can heat them up to swap the inserts.

Any more tips for that process would be gratefully received.

Irishcain

My latest delivery, brought by a postman not afraid of a little snow.

I had to get the cleaning fluids because it was time to replace the old stock

16566843595_5ca81a0776_s.jpg

Figured I could get a couple of other things while I was at it:

Acid free watch paper

16565713242_9d7b2a4c17_s.jpg

reversible Horotec 7750 movement holder

16379157328_c164f03cab_s.jpg

a larger universal movement holder and some rub-out

15946634223_608a6ae93f_s.jpg

SSTEEL

Thanks Micky. I have two replacement bezel inserts a black and a pumpkin) on their way from Toro so I'll need to remove them so I can heat them up to swap the inserts.

Any more tips for that process would be gratefully received.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BL7v8p21mg&spfreload=10

JSJ

Wow that's really helpful, thanks Micky. You make it look easy.

SSTEEL

It is easy with this tool, but please note, this tool is not to be used to remove the likes of Rolex/Submariner type bezel assemblies, its only good for those bezels with the octagon type wire spring.

JSJ
It is easy with this tool, but please note, this tool is not to be used to remove the likes of Rolex/Submariner type bezel assemblies, its only good for those bezels with the octagon type wire spring.

OK thanks. I will use it on a BP CrPO bezel. I'm assuming that is OK?

SSTEEL

Yup, its designed for just those type of bezel assemblies :) Firmly grip the bezel like in the video, then pull off whilst slowly turning it the direction the bezel normally rotates :)