Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

Kcore

This is one of my favorite threads. I really enjoy seeing the tools and workspace ideas shared here. Thanks guys!

OK, I'm not one of the "Big Dogs" like Micky & Olly but I do have my little watch repair corner. My work bench is a wood folding table approx 20" X 15". I have a nice florescent ring work light that has a 5X mag lense attached. Since my bench space is limited, I can only keep out the tools I need at hand. All other hand tools are kept in a well sorted and organized double fold out tray fishing/tackle box :)

I thought I would share my most recent acquisition. It's a 12 tweezer set. While not Dumont, all are stainless and anti-magnetic. Very nicely made with fine and precise tips & good feel in the hand. The set cost me $15 at Esslingers. anyone in the CONUS, I think a very good buy!

http://www.esslinger...tweezerset.aspx

tweezers_zpsa54cb74c.jpeg

SSTEEL

Nice Eric. Simple but effective. If you want to get yourself the type of green bench top matting that watchmakers use, its called VYCO, its the same stuff that Bergeon sell small mats from. Whilst it don't have an adhesive backing, this can easily be resolved with double sided sticky pads/tape.

This seller is State side mate, and this is just one example of the sizes they offer..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121163700320?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I have been in communication with the above seller on ordering custom sizes so to cover the complete work areas of both my benches. The seller was great and put in in touch with a European stockholder :)

J!m

I KNEW that green mat was farmiliar...

Drafting table top!

Here's a US supplier of large rolls as well as small ones too...

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/default/cPath/CAT605_CAT667?kw_cid=vyco%20sheet&sc_cid=vyco%20sheet|PPCsearch|p|27843595577|SOG1006102|(Drawing)%20VYCO|Drafting%20and%20Art%20Furniture|Google|

Sorry- got excited there. Carry on...

Kcore

Thanks Micky! Yep, simple it is and also small but it's my piece of heaven away from the sometimes maddening family :giggle: Not complaining mind you. Afterall the wife wants to put a full size pool table in our livingroom.

My worktable matt is from a company called, OpTech USA. They make straps, pouches, connectors and more for cameras but they have work matts too. They make 3 sizes. Mine is their large sixe, 24" X 42". It's waterproof & static free and is textured to stop pieces from rolling. Grey color is OK. since my workshop is portable, the matt rolls up nice and stores in a handy pouch.

I got it from Amazon for $9.95 USD - very good price

http://www.amazon.co...ords=optech+mat

SSTEEL

Have you considered one of these Eric?

JEWELERS WORK BENCH ORGANIZER JEWELRY REPAIR WATCH

They are as portable, and big as your work space, and obviously bring the working height up to your face if placed on a desk. You can fit a green work mat to the top and still have room for some odds, and ends.

I would love one for the odd time when the living room gets too busy with guests, or our daughters friends round, and then I could just take it to the dining room, and work there. £70+ shipping from the US is the same cost as the item, so £150ish delivered, and then customs duty to pay on top. :(

Olly

I've had an update on my work area too :)

Bergeron case cushion

Bergeron dial protectors

Bergeron movement holder

New case press

AA Swiss super final polish rouge

Dremel 8100 with polishing heads

Pith wood buttons

I'll shoot some pics soon :)

Kcore

Have you considered one of these Eric?

JEWELERS WORK BENCH ORGANIZER JEWELRY REPAIR WATCH

They are as portable, and big as your work space, and obviously bring the working height up to your face if placed on a desk. You can fit a green work mat to the top and still have room for some odds, and ends.

I would love one for the odd time when the living room gets too busy with guests, or our daughters friends round, and then I could just take it to the dining room, and work there. £70+ shipping from the US is the same cost as the item, so £150ish delivered, and then customs duty to pay on top. :(

I actually have been looking at these table top jewler's work desks. The one I been eyeing is from Esslingers. They're stateside and are one of my go to places for watch parts, bits & bobs, and tools. They have 2 models, both are $95 USD.

Model 1

http://www.esslinger.com/portable-wood-jwelers-bench-with-four-drawers-and-catch-tray.aspx

Model 2

http://www.esslinger.com/port-a-benchll.aspx

SSTEEL

Cool Olly, look forward to your pics :)

Esslingers! Thats where I saw those, but being stateside I was put off because of our customs. :(

Olly

amuqa3ug.jpgta8yqady.jpgpyru2ehy.jpg4ymabyhu.jpgyre7ygas.jpggepydema.jpgy7agusa8.jpg

Some pics of my latest jobs and my new equipment :D

SSTEEL

Looking good Olly mate :) You just need to find some wooden file handles now, unless you make your own ;)

Olly

These are fine :)

SSTEEL

Little feedback contribution to our watchmaker candy store outlets..

I've known about HSWALSH for quite sometime now, but never actually ordered anything from them as, not only was their website painfully slow, COUSINSUK always catered for my needs anyway, that was until recently. I got in touch with HSWALSH via twitter about their website being really slow and off-putting, and they responded quickly saying they were in the process of moving their site to a better server.

I was on the look out for a particular pair of Horotect hand levers, and COUSINSUK didn't stock them, but HSWALSH did, needless to say, I ordered, along with a couple of Bergeon screwdrivers. I noticed their website had indeed improved, and no longer ran at a snails pace.

Shortly after completing my order, I got an email from Averil from HSWALSH notifying me the hand levers I ordered were out of stock, and asked if I would be prepared to wait a little while, which I said, no problem.

The levers, and screwdrivers arrived today, and I am very pleased with the overall service, prices, and products.

12654218174_81b2f43a46_b.jpg

Olly

And i think my timegrapher is now broken. :( It starts counting beats even though there isnt a watch on the microphone. when i restart it and put a movement on it it reads +904 sec/day !!!!! I dont know WTF is going on ! Help :rofl:

SSTEEL

Oh no. Do you have a dust blower/can of air? If so, try blowing out the mic.

Olly

Oh no. Do you have a dust blower/can of air? If so, try blowing out the mic.

Tried that mate but no good.

Aren

Great thread. Enjoyed watching your watchmaking area evolve.

That is more equipment than I could imagine using or needing.

I am very interested on the Magnifying Lamp with table clamp - 5 Diopter S8069C

It won't matter how many tools I have or how good they are if I can't see what I am doing.

This would attach nicely on my antique drafting table. I don't have a place to establish a very large work area.

I will watch for a sale on the RWG tool set since mine is a 18 tool cheapie set from ebay or Amazon.

I am buying a watch to work on, but chose to have the dial, hands and crystal intact.

The watch hasn't arrived yet. It is an old pocket watch on ebay.

Don't want to need a crystal press for one watch, so I chose a watch with the hands attached and in good visual condition.

It appears to me when I see missing hands that the shaft which holds them is broken (usually broken off) and the repair is much more than merely replacing the hands. Since I don't want to mess with that I will stick with a simple movement service and see how it goes from there.

Thanks Mick and thanks to all the contributors in this great thread.

:D

Olly

And now my fucking Dremel has blown up.... Everything seems to be breaking on me recently................................................................ Not happy :(

J!m

Sorry to hear it... I have never been overly impressed with the quality of the Dremel... sometimes that's the only thing that will work and you have to use it.

I think another option is Foredom (maybe spelled correctly) with a motor and a shaft to the working tip that is more industrial.

For case buffing, I have an old bench grinder I broke the wheel guard off one side and mounted a buffing wheel...

SSTEEL

FERM make good tools like rotary tools Olly.

Aren

And now my fucking Dremel has blown up.... Everything seems to be breaking on me recently................................................................ Not happy :(

The universe is just helping you to make room for newer and better equipment !

:)

Olly

better equipment ? That thing cost me £80 !! Oh stuff it, I'm buying a professional polisher for my new bergeon buffer and scotchbrite wheel.

Aren

better equipment ? That thing cost me £80 !! Oh stuff it, I'm buying a professional polisher for my new bergeon buffer and scotchbrite wheel.

There ya go Olly. This new purchase will make you really happy.

Looks like you found the silver lining to me.

I am still going to aim at an RWG tool kit, but it is hard when I see sooooo many watches and need a magnification light more than anything to really be able to do anything with my watches.

Olly

I just use a £20 lamp with a magnifier on and it does the trick as good as any other expensive light. Economy rules :rofl:

SSTEEL

I just use a £20 lamp with a magnifier on and it does the trick as good as any other expensive light. Economy rules :rofl:

I have just ordered an Optivisor No'4 with x2 Mag from cousins with loupe attachment. Will let you know how I get on with it, my preference for this is due to me wearing glasses, and having tried many of the clip on type loupes, I didn't get on with them. The Optivisor is supposed to be idea for the spectacle wearer watchmaker.

12702445953_36ab0220f3_b.jpg

SSTEEL

My latest watchmaking investment, oils, and grease, as I am now ready to take on full movement servicing. Only ETA and Clone 28XX for now, still studying the innards of the EAT 77XX range. I have took a few photos in the hope you can see the various types, brands, and part numbers. I still have another package to come from cousins of

o1083_pic1_cmyk_thumb.jpg

Moebius 9501 Grease Product Code: O1083 (For Keyless work).

12795509465_42380a7d19_b.jpg

12795922474_14698d16ba_b.jpg

12795511445_530123eb52_b.jpg

12795928784_d3366e7e8c_b.jpg