Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

Kcore

Micky, do those oils come in different scents? Just trying to figure out how I can justify more spending on my hobby - now if the oils are dual purpose, get my drift ;)

J!m

PML or KT-22 are lower-cost options to the 9501 grease... Both suggested by Rolex... I think the KT-22 is quite inexpensive, PML a bit more and 9501 the top of the price range. Check ofrei as they have interesting notes on some of the lubricants- like the KT (or PML) is not suggested by Eta simply because it is not a Swiss made lubricant... For a keyless works? I'd almost use axle grease in there... (but don't) You could also use the silicone gease, such as Dow Corning 111, which you probably already have for gaskets.

You have KT-22 in your collection already... Use that!

Edited by J!m

SSTEEL

Micky, do those oils come in different scents? Just trying to figure out how I can justify more spending on my hobby - now if the oils are dual purpose, get my drift ;)

Putting them on the heater in the bedroom and relaxing :P

;)

PML or KT-22 are lower-cost options to the 9501 grease... Both suggested by Rolex... I think the KT-22 is quite inexpensive, PML a bit more and 9501 the top of the price range. Check ofrei as they have interesting notes on some of the lubricants- like the KT is not suggested by Eta simply because it is not a Swiss made lubricant... For a keyless works? I'd almost use axle grease in there... (but don't) You could also use the silicone gease, such as Dow Corning 111, which you probably already have for gaskets.

You have KT-22 in your collection already... Use that!

Indeed, these what I have just received were all recommended to me by a few watchmakers, including Roger Smith :)

J!m

9010 and PML-163 cover probably 90% of all your lube needs.

Add to that a braking lube for mainspring barrels (if you re-spring rather than replace the entire barrel) and other fast-moving jewels are just as well left dry... PML can do the keyless, or splurge on KT-22 for keyless. Or go super-cheap and use the Dow-Corning 111 for all gaskets and keyless.

This stuff is so expensive, and has a shelf life (so you buy more- clever!) so I try to keep it as simple as possible...

SSTEEL

Cheers for the advice, and yes, these cost a pretty penny, even for the small amounts I purchased. Only purchased small amounts to get me started, no point buying any bigger, as you say, would never use it before its expiration.

Kcore

Actually, I was thinking about being a bit more creative ;)

SSTEEL

Actually, I was thinking about being a bit more creative ;)

Ah, like sexual poppers ? :P

Odyseus

Micky I would seriously consider getting an inspection microscope like this one - it makes watch work really easy - plenty of room under the scope to use your tools :)

Scope_zps37f0cdcd.jpg

http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/longarm.html

J!m

Cheers for the advice, and yes, these cost a pretty penny, even for the small amounts I purchased. Only purchased small amounts to get me started, no point buying any bigger, as you say, would never use it before its expiration.

It is criminal! The 2cc vials are $20+!!!

Even ofrei ays they don't believe in the expiration date... (they have some "expired" oils for a discount now) Honestly, IMHO, if it has not color shifted or seperated, it's probably fine to use.

SSTEEL

Micky I would seriously consider getting an inspection microscope like this one - it makes watch work really easy - plenty of room under the scope to use your tools :)

Scope_zps37f0cdcd.jpg

http://www.brunelmic...uk/longarm.html

I have my eye on a very similar model offered on ebay from a reputable seller/dealer in Germany, comes with a good 12" working distance, boom, camera, and ring light. I'm going to give the Optivisor a try in the meantime whilst I save my pennies ;)

This is what I plan on getting...

$_3.JPG

SSTEEL

My Optivisor hand landed with a 2.5% Loupe attachment.

12901198775_7600b90ab6_b.jpg

12901200555_330e860526_b.jpg

Initial findings having tried it out, (currently has a No' 4 Lense fitted), the working distance is not as long as I would like so ordered two additional lenses, No' 2, and No' 3, which give focal lengths of, 20" and 14". The No' 4 Lense is 2 x Mag, with focal length of just 10 inches.

Also picked up some micro fibre swabs, which are for cleaning dials.

12901296073_1555e808b5_b.jpg

Jewellers hammer with assortment of heads..

12901624424_48e8c30fbf_b.jpg

Polywatch. Got this specifically for cleaning up the plastic glass on my recently acquired Swatch Windfall, it has some light scratches, and Polywatch should be ideal to remove them. Tip for you, you can also use non-gel type toothpaste for removing light scratches from plastic crystals.

Also picked up some micro c/e clips for some Chronograph pushers I'm currently working with.

12901626004_e4604eed89_b.jpg

Next order from cousins is a big one, my second daylight lamp for my other bench, and a load of other goodies which I will share here. Its my biggest order to date with cousins @ almost €1k :noway:

12901622334_b5f8930c35_b.jpg

Kcore

That OptiVisor is top of the line. Nice pickup Micky!

Does my heart good to see Cousins selling product that's "Proudly Made in the U.S.A!" :)

SSTEEL

That OptiVisor is top of the line. Nice pickup Micky!

Does my heart good to see Cousins selling product that's "Proudly Made in the U.S.A!" :)

:) The additional lenses I had to order from the U.S.A too Eric, for some reason, cousins only sell the complete Optivisor head gear with the various lenses, they don't sell them separately, but all good now.

SSTEEL

Couple of new arrivals before my quite substantial cousins order arrives next week. Not only showing photos, but also adding some info which I hope helps others with regards the items below. :)

I wanted a longer working distance/focal length for my Optivisor, so opted for lenses LP-2, and LP-3, giving me 20" and 14" working distances, the LP-4 I got with the Optivisor give you just 10" working distance/focal length.

13100714024_82f1957002_b.jpg

Next up is the Bergeon 6825 Spring bar tool. I have always wanted to get one of these due to on many occasions, needing to extract a bracelets end link/spring bar evenly from the watch lugs. Its quite straight forward in design, and self explanatory really, but don't let that fool you, my first usage of this tool proved, tricky, but believe this was due to an incorrect spring bar being fitted to the watch I tried it on.

13102055265_2f04ea4abe_b.jpg

13102171133_897aaa4381_b.jpg

This is the shredded shaft you adjust the width of the tool, to accommodate the various lug widths.

13102058355_035d73d49e_b.jpg

And the tips, which are also replaceable, and can be angled rather than straight below..

13102333354_01936cdd35_b.jpg

That's it for now, but watch this space for more soon.

Del Boy

All looks amazing.

On the one hand I feel that I should contribute towards this... on the other hand I'd prefer one of my watches doesn't break just yet!

SSTEEL

My large order from cousinsuk finally arrived, however a couple of additional parts failed to make it in this package, I feel this is due to the delay in the refund, and them packaging my original order, and didn't add my additional items to it which I added to the reorder.

Customer trays, currently have only green, so ordered some coloured ones to form a queuing system :)

13559045034_5732e268d5.jpg

Some odds and sods which I have been meaning to get for a while..

13558705705_4b7536906c.jpg

13558707405_4e6ac3058d.jpg

A view of my work benches. In the process of stocktaking, and reorganising everything.

13558756633_592dd2a9cf.jpg

13559865403_1c43b7bac0.jpg

Now I have to get back to stocktaking :)

DR3M3L

Looks like a great workbench to me :D I'm filling mine as well, postmen is looking weird at me every day :P

SSTEEL

Looks like a great workbench to me :D I'm filling mine as well, postmen is looking weird at me every day :P

Talking of the postman :P He refuses to deliver anymore parcels here lol, he now pushes cards through the letterbox for me to collect them every day. Its because of the high volume of packages coming in.

I need the exercise anyway :lol:

DR3M3L

Talking of the postman :P He refuses to deliver anymore parcels here lol, he not pushes cards through the letterbox for me to collect them every day. Its because of the high volume of packages coming in.

I need the exercise anyway :lol:

Maybe he should start collecting your stuff and deliver just once a week using a big box :) Would be better in my case...

I also ordered a bunch of stuff in the RWG shop, didn't hear from Col for two days so have to wait, and wait..... :(

SSTEEL

I've started taking my backpack to the post office to collect things, and my wife takes her wheeled trolly to the post office when I return packages :P

Aren

Do you recommend the Opti-Visor over the Diopter Mag light?

If you only had one, which would it be?

TIA

SSTEEL

I wear the Optivisor all the time, its brilliant Aren, highly recommended :)

Optivisor gets my vote. As long as you have a range of lenses, you are set :)

SSTEEL

I forgot to mention, got these two baskets for my ultrasonic cleaners. I do plan on investing in a proper watch parts cleaner though at some point, but for now, I have the industrial cleaner, used for cases, bezels, and bracelets, and the small parts cleaner for watch parts (special solution mixture)..

13564003825_70d7ff5738.jpg

And a view of my set up as its stands right now. We have to move out this time next year due to planned renovations, actually dreading it.

13564360414_556cacbcde.jpg

All my electoral appliances are on remote control as I was fed up of banging my head each time I had to venture under the benches :lol:

DR3M3L
I wear the Optivisor all the time, its brilliant Aren, highly recommended :)

Optivisor gets my vote. As long as you have a range of lenses, you are set :)

This is what I use:

u7yma8eb.jpg

ma9a4una.jpg

I don't like wearing such a big thing while doing such small work :P

SSTEEL

Thats fine, each of us have our own preferences. You really should try the optivisor though mate, its quite light, its not a heavy thing.