Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

SSTEEL

Forgot to mention, I recently invested in the Bergeon 5393 casing platform, its a double sided casing work area, left of the Bergeon grease in the photo below. When a watch with slightly domed crystal is dial down, and placed on the one side of the 5393, it adheres to it, allowing comfortable working without having to worry about the watch slipping.

14875080408_1b7f5bab74.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

My parts cleaning machine has finally arrived, 3 months since I won it on ebay! Long story lol

Anyway, the jars are soaking, they were filthy, and it will be a while before I can use this thing, I will be stripping it down, and refurbishing it, including rewiring the electrics, and heater.

15010937437_1701e4c368.jpgSANY4639 by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

Took a short break today whilst the workmen outside cut our internet again!

Been to Ikea yet again, and whilst there, obliging the Mrs shopping list, I couldn't help myself in getting a couple of shelves for above my work area.

15205430860_29d2ffced5.jpgNew shelves waiting to go up, just waiting for the drill to come back, dad nicked it earlier lol by Micky.!, on Flickr

Started, but noticed our drill was awol, quickly to learn my father-in-law had nicked it, so had to go and pick it up so I could continue :lol:

15369685656_26c3a4448b.jpgimage by Micky.!, on Flickr

Thats how I left it tonight, will finish it off tomorrow. Got my Bergeon Final Test machine, and Chinese version Cyclotest to install, both will be on poles like before.

As to any new tools, I have not really purchased any new tools of late, but that will probably change :lol:

Oh, I did get some new micro fibre cloths, and nano-fibre cloths recently, different types for different subjects, glass, polished stainless steel and during polishing. Talking of which, I am hoping to mount my polishing wheel soon, not used them much at all since investing in them, and been having to do all refinishing work by hand. Cousinsuk sell housings for polishing wheels, these help contain the dirt thrown up from the polishingg wheels.

SSTEEL

And done.

15379748786_beabc71607.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Not impressed with the Chinese green version of winder though, its a noisy bugger! You can see the stains in the label where the extra grease I added to quiet it down, but alas still is noisy. My orange winder is a Bergeon, not cheap at around $800 but runs silent. I thought I would give the clone a try, but not happy with it at all, so will save up for the Green Bergeon next.

Hows your guys benches looking, Joran, any news on yours, found a suitable shielding for your polishing wheels yet mate?

DR3M3L

Looking great Micky! Really like the way you start building into the air :D My bench is doing good, at this point nothing special coming in except for the engraving machine and the regular movement parts for customers. I'm saving for a polishing machine with the shielding attached plus a build in dust sucker :D For now using just a plastic cover with the vacuum cleaner attached :P Will get a pic whenever I have the chance.

Here's the polishing machine I'm saving for: http://www.friederichsonline.nl/home.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_genx.tpl&product_id=12653&category_id=206&keyword=Polijstmachine

Oh and seems like my engraving machine is in customs right now! Can't wait to try that out!

SSTEEL

Engraving machine, nice.! Nice looking polishing machine that too.

As to raising things in the air with my equipment, its a case of having to really, even though I'm fortunate to have two full sized office desks as my workbench, I have kind of outgrown them already, expanded, but with nowhere else to go than up. I do have a large window sill to the right of the orange winder which `I plan on utilising at some point :)

SSTEEL

Been enquiring about a dive tank to use for my air supply as cans of compressed air here in Finland are €15 euros a pop! Plan is to buy a used, serviced dive tank, and connect up a couple of gauges, one for pressure, and the other for level/air remaining.

Then run a small diameter hose from the tank which will be hidden under the bench, to the work area suspended on an arm to use. Talking to a friend of mine who uses the same set up, a dive tank should last around 6 to 8 months between refills, which works out a fraction of the cost I'm spending on cans of air. Getting through €45 euros a month in cans of air, dive tank is €45 euros empty, and refills €18 euros, so its a no brainer.

Anyway, away from air for a minute, and those winders I mentioned earlier, I can't remember off the top of my head now who asked, but one of you guys asked me what the difference is between the two models, green, and orange. Green is fast, and orange is slow. What I did as shoot a couple of short videos which demonstrates the more clearly.

The green one is the Chinese version, and I have modded it with a 5 rev/min microwave motor, the one that came fitted was the 3-4 rev/min, the same speed as the orange model. Onto the videos, (unsure if they will display like youtube vids, so here goes lol..

EDIT, nope, can't get them to display, so here's the links, I will upload them to youtube, and share them here for those who don't wish to leave the forums.

https://flic.kr/p/pvfDTm

https://flic.kr/p/pdMzRG

http://youtu.be/tGEq...QvOuLWyVIlv65tw

http://youtu.be/yLZATICvqPU

http://youtu.be/tGEqH_aRlL8

SSTEEL

I must be doing something wrong, can't get the youtube vids to display, grrr.

SSTEEL

Little update, received a new order from cousins. Got myself some new green bench mats, three new jar lids for my Elma machine, and some grease for my case back tub.

15281632388_39ccd33a05.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

My bench has been moved around again due to my set up with the winders on the shelf keeping the Mrs awake :footinmouth:

The small tool in the photo is a chronograph pusher fitting (internal spline) tool, its 3.05mm, and in true watchmakers style, its slightly too big, I need the 3mm which only Horotec stock, so need to order another one, this larger one will no doubt come in handy.

SSTEEL

Few more bits and bobs, the steel wool rolls are for refinishing bracelets/cases, but can you guess what the velcro straps are for? :P

15291628680_301e01f896.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

DR3M3L

Micky, you should buy the 3M buff wheels for refinishing the Rolex bracelets with a brushed look. Get the medium one from Cousins, that one will give a very gen-like result. The fine one is too fine ;)

10:10 Watch Repair

Micky, you should buy the 3M buff wheels for refinishing the Rolex bracelets with a brushed look. Get the medium one from Cousins, that one will give a very gen-like result. The fine one is too fine ;)

yes, stay away from steel wool. It will get caught in tight spaces and rust.

SSTEEL

yes, stay away from steel wool. It will get caught in tight spaces and rust.

Cheers guys, I still have yet to install my polishing wheels (due to lack of space), but since putting up a couple of shelves, and reorganising things around until I was comfortable, I can now install them, start to use them, but more importantly, have enclosures for the wheels to contain the dirt/dust/fly-off.

BTW - The velcro strips are for security, basically to secure a customers watch to my winders, as I never have liked putting watches on there without protection, I usually used elastic bands, or tape, so looked for a suitable, longterm solution, and a fellow watchmaker pointed me to those velcro strips :)

SSTEEL

Finally took delivery of my Ergotron desk mount for my iMac, I was unable to remove the stand fri my iMac due to the later models not supporting the VESA mount, so had to buy a separate piece of kit, which attaches to the iMac stand, and then you can attach the whole iMac, and stand to the Ergotron. So here were are as my office now stands, I have vacated the coffee table :D

14941514343_1bf045bb8e.jpgSANY6265 by Micky.!, on Flickr

And a side view.

15375556798_b05fdd52eb.jpgSANY6264 by Micky.!, on Flickr

Still getting used to the new set up, but should make things far more streamlined now :)

SSTEEL

Few updates on the tools front, plus progress on my cleaning machine refurb.

Audemars Piguet Offshore Bezel Nut Tool

15029066943_69b6a10500.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15463650000_a342508a07.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Dumoxel Non Magnetic Tweezers with Boxwood Tips

Ideal for handling hands. I was using brass tweezers specifically for hands, but noticed they were still managing to scratch some painted hands.

15649228935_acfdf8e0b4.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15646537281_6bd4147bca.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15463251367_078dba4eb4.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And finally made a start removing the old paint from the vintage cleaning machine I got, I have already purchased the new paint, but I am now actually considering, maybe leaving the aluminium as is, and just clear coat it.

After two hours hand sanding..

15648207765_907ecf80c9.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Still got quite a bit of paint to remove from the outer part. A few dents too I need to sort out.

15648208215_f3fc736a7b.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

Thanks to Joran for sharing the link to the new 28XX ETA 3D DWO Tool. This is a nice upgrade to my aging initial prototype from Mike aka Jerkshore.

As you can see from the one below, its been revised, and should enable an easier manipulation of a DWO alignment.

I opted for the black, smoothed tool, but whilst the colour is black, its still somewhat unfinished.

15486296549_56cb6a0bd4.jpgSANY6857 by Micky.!, on Flickr

15486970647_1db6bb13ed.jpgSANY6858 by Micky.!, on Flickr

15673764902_e1bfcd9751.jpgSANY6859 by Micky.!, on Flickr

15670261771_8244c181ae.jpgSANY6860 by Micky.!, on Flickr

These can be ordered in the link below..

http://www.sculpteo....Ld3Z5vXF23BgA1B

SSTEEL

Heater Chamber, and Motor Shroud refinished. Still undecided whether to paint blue, or clear coat.

15678012071_882950fef3.jpgELMA SUPER ELITE REFURB by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

Final parts almost completed, just need to etch them next, then its on to the rewiring.

15069167974_898bb0dfa7.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

Oh I forgot the base, this was a PITA do clean up, those jar holder tabs cut my fingers up, but the finished product was worth it. I removed the cork strips that were on there, and have some new cork 5mm sheets to cut some correct sized strips to replace them :)

15665678406_5c81022022.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Edited by SSTEEL

SSTEEL

Few photos of my new layout, its similar, with some subtle changes, one being the timegrapher location, as many watchmaker will agree, workbench real estate is valuable, with the less clutter the better, this makes things easier would any part ping away from the work mat.

15756264872_ff6b0f3e61_b.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

As you may know, I migrated from the sofa with my macbook, and set up my new iMac at the bench.

15570207000_4eb17c134d_b.jpgSANY7271 by Micky.!, on Flickr

15569300928_76c1bc112f_b.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Customer dust free protected queuing system..

15134757864_1843abcf28_b.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And my main view whilst working..

15569904210_fdd2ee4a29_b.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

15747272556_d5bfea6905.jpgSANY7471 by Micky.!, on Flickr

My L&R cleaning Solutions arrived today from The Finnish Watchmaking School :)

New wiring arrived for my cleaning machine, so just need to paint the Elma casing parts, rewire, and then I'm good to go, no more cleaning watch parts by hand :)

SSTEEL

First up in the spray booth is the motor shroud :) This is after one coat, I have since sprayed a second coat, and depending on how it looks, may go for a third coat.

15607352807_d41506f1c2.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Then the Heater Shroud :)

15794181302_9de3f2a039.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And the base, but ran out of the glossy varnish spray so need to get some more lol

15769012816_6f9ce69064.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

Starting to think maybe I should of started a separate thread for my Elma Super Elite restoration.

Anyway, new varnish in, and final parts now after two coats, a final coat on everything, then will polish the parts to remove any overspray.

15607567849_a9bc0cc8c3.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15607989078_c8c34f4425.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15793391765_635f4b2fc8.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15173955973_a11edd0493.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15607570279_414f3e1580.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15173440034_59b106f91c.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr