Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

SSTEEL

And a few shots now the clear varnish has dried :)

15609339097_738cf6d1bc.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15770825626_e2e2b0ca0a.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15609661890_93c07e0047.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15608676819_7899de3bb1.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

The cast alloy parts, although come out ok, they are not as glossy and smooth as the aluminium case parts, so will need a few more coats tomorrow.

15794505745_67e232b52f.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15770829526_5d8ee02e71.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15609098308_d64dfabaef.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15175067273_d26cf5763d.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And the base needs one more coat...

15794508715_542d01acde.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15609347137_884263aecf.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15794510935_b5178bbf1d.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

The wiring looks like a nightmare, but luckily I was wise enough to take photos of the various wiring, and connections which should help the rewiring :) New wiring has landed last week :)

Anyhow, some goodies in from Cousinsuk..

Complete basket, this is the alternative to the obsolete Elma item..

15812312405_796d1e6c3e.jpg

15627463660_2f33fce27c.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

New motor gasket.

15626912998_a1dbe93865.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Heater switch..

15810428181_0655d289c5.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And new bulb. I was contemplating fitting a modern motor speed adjuster, and LED light but seeing as the old parts are still working, I serviced them, and they should be fine for some yers to come all being well..

15812315875_0c49552757.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

LightGeek

Hello? Am I the only one that's giddy reading about this topic?

SSTEEL

I dunno mate, Joran used to post in here now and again, and Eric, I just like documenting my watchmaking :)

DR3M3L

I check in every now and then.... However I'm busy with financial stuff, we want to buy a house... Next to that I've been busy with RWI and getting work done!

SSTEEL

Here's photos of the new DWO tool being used on the movement holder, both 3D printed, and finished in polished black.

15825320645_7c53933e9d.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15205893793_d2008a317b.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15826877992_404424a5d8.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

15205892713_83f9fe7b69.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And photos of the old prototype which has served me well, I used to use spare screwdriver blades as fee, but eventually glued some actual dial feet to it.

15205920133_7441d87d62.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And the rear..

15639933708_6755990c25.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And the new DWO tool, and movement holder separated..

15826905402_ba72f6b5e8.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

Invested in several Swiss 25 compartment parts stackable trays, these are from Johann Renfer, and are constructed similar to the standard x10 compartment parts trays that the likes of Cousins, HSWalsh, and Gleave & Co sell. They are designed for drawer storage.

http://www.renfer.ch/#

Standard 10 compartment parts tray on the top right.

15688024999_99a83b4b8c.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Kcore

WOW, have I missed a lot - great stuff here Micky!!! :thumbsup:

You sure have added some cool tools. The new DWO tool sure will make life easier. You really have brought that vintage parts cleaner back to life. I can't wait to see it reassembled.

BTW, thanks for sharing the winder vids

SSTEEL

Thanks Eric,

regarding the new DWO tool, there is a little problem with it, and that being the recess for the stem, its too big, and allows material play of around 4mm (2mm each side), so aligning the DWO is tricky, even using the tool. What I need to do is put a movement in the movement holder with a perfectly aligned DWO already fitted, place the DWO tool on top, align it so the dates are aligned in the windows, and then make some kind of physical mark on both the movement holder, and DWO tool, so next time I need to use it, I will have perfect alignment.

SSTEEL

New casing cushions arrived.

15735545069_21aa8cb24e.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

And some restock items.

15734113888_1eee53fd5c.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

SSTEEL

Couple of new additions to my screwdrivers, these are the larger type, 3.00mm, and 3.50mm, the latter being the biggest screwdriver Bergeon do from what I understand. Photo shows the part numbers for reference.

15950931015_829748e4b1.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

Just waiting for my stainless steel fitment, and fittings to arrive, and I will finally be moving onto the rewiring job of my Elma.

SSTEEL

Got this today, a Horotec Microphone Dust Cover.

15806470267_ffce8346da_o.jpgUntitled by Micky.!, on Flickr

I have to say, I am less than impressed with it, What you see in the photo on the microphone is what I received, I am sure there is something missing, there are four screws in the base, but nothing in the box to secure it to the actual part of the mic with the spring mount. I have emailed HSWalsh about this, and also because it arrived with a crack in it.

Other goodies arrived today, new 6767F spring bar forks, and Bergeon Presto number 3 (Blue) for Chronograph Driving Wheels, and third wheeled arbors.

DR3M3L

I bought the anti-magnetic blades for my screwdrivers..... Guess what? Fucking rust on them when they arrived!! Wtf? Emailed Cousins past week about it but no reply as yet.

:picard:

Nice dust cover you got there, how much are those?

D_Chico
I bought the anti-magnetic blades for my screwdrivers..... Guess what? Fucking rust on them when they arrived!! Wtf? Emailed Cousins past week about it but no reply as yet.

:picard:

Nice dust cover you got there, how much are those?

Dust cover runs about $40..

D_Chico

Hey Micky, I'm pretty sure that dust cover is supposed to be magnetic.. I know the TYMC MTG-100 timegrapher has metal bars that are on top of the mic so that cover will attach to it..I have the same weishi 1000 timegrapher that you do but my microphone is square not rounded like yours..maybe that's why it's not fitting properly.. I know the tymc has a square mic also..

Good luck bud!

I was considering one of those covers myself but I think I'll wait to see how it works out for you ;) :P

D_Chico

So here are a few goodies I just got in this past week :)

-Dumont #3 Dumoxel Tweezers

-ASCO 4x Loupe

-Bergeon headband loupe holder

I was using a Bausch and Lomb 4x loupe and although it was decent quality I was still seeing a glare every once and a while so I opted for the ASCO loupe with the blue tinted AR coating and WOW what a difference!! It's sooo much clearer! I love it!! Definitely worth the money!! You can't cheap out on anything that involves your eyesight! ;)

As for the tweezers, I was using Swiss Stella tweezers which aren't bad for the money but as any watchmaker knows tweezers and screwdrivers are the things you use the most and that's one spot you definitely don't cheap out on!! I loooove my new Dumont tweezers!! $30 was well worth it!!

I also have new bench mats on the way in and I also have Bergeon brass tweezers with the polished tips on the way in..I've been debating on the brass or to go with the Horotec carbon fiber fine tip tweezers for handling hands and delicate parts..I decided to stick with the brass because I have a nice pair with polished tips now and I've had great luck with them but I find myself using them for a lot of other tasks like balance assembly/hairspring work and want just one tweezer dedicated to handling hands and hands only! So now I'll use the new Bergeon ones for that :) I'll post pics once they arrive!

Also once I finish rearranging my bench I snap some pics for you guys :D I'm in the process of mounting my cyclotest and making a nice oiler stand from wood so I've moved from my main work area to a temporary area until I complete the set up

20141210_143209_zpsvrfto5t3.jpg

SSTEEL

So very true David regarding the screwdrivers, and tweezers, they are an extension of our hands, so one should not cheap out on anything like that.

@Joran, the dust cover was £26GBP plus VAT and shipping.

@David, there's nothing magnetic with the base of this dust cover, as I mentioned earlier, I believe I am missing the lower part of the base. Here's the underside, see those four screws? They do nothing, so one would assume they should be for a retainer of some sort.

15805366818_50e2ccdd89_o.jpgiPhoto by Micky.!, on Flickr

D_Chico
So very true David regarding the screwdrivers, and tweezers, they are an extension of our hands, so one should not cheap out on anything like that.

@Joran, the dust cover was £26GBP plus VAT and shipping.

@David, there's nothing magnetic with the base of this dust cover, as I mentioned earlier, I believe I am missing the lower part of the base. Here's the underside, see those four screws? They do nothing, so one would assume they should be for a retainer of some sort.

15805366818_50e2ccdd89_o.jpgiPhoto by Micky.!, on Flickr

Hmm..definitely look's like something is missing.. I'm tempted to order one for myself! :lol: if I do and something looks different I'll be sure to let you know bud ;)

SSTEEL

Don't bother David, its a waste of money, I have found out there's no missing pieces, it is as it is, it's simply placed on top of the microphone without any restraints. This thing is stupid, and doesn't do what I wanted, so I have started to make my own. This Horotec dust cover, the top cover part clips firmly to the microphone base plastic part of the kit, this is supposed to allow you to move the microphone through the various positions whilst testing a watch, but the bloody thing don't allow that, it falls off lol.

I am making my own out of a clean plastic parts container, making it to only cover movements, not watch heads on the microphone.

D_Chico
Don't bother David, its a waste of money, I have found out there's no missing pieces, it is as it is, it's simply placed on top of the microphone without any restraints. This thing is stupid, and doesn't do what I wanted, so I have started to make my own. This Horotec dust cover, the top cover part clips firmly to the microphone base plastic part of the kit, this is supposed to allow you to move the microphone through the various positions whilst testing a watch, but the bloody thing don't allow that, it falls off lol.

I am making my own out of a clean plastic parts container, making it to only cover movements, not watch heads on the microphone.

Thanks for the heads up ;)

Well you might as well make two and send one my way!! :P lol..jk..(kinda)

So how are you liking those boxwood tweezers? I actually decided to order the horotec carbon fiber tip tweezers with a second set of derlin tips so I can interchange and try both :) They'll be in Thursday along with a bunch of other goodies :D (I'll be sure to post pics and let you know what I think)

SSTEEL

The boxwood tweezers are superb mate, a really great investment, they are perfect for handling delicate hands. They are a bit chunky, so plan on filing them down a little.

BadPickle

Oh man, I missed this thread.

You keep rubbing their noses in it ssteal.......

Happy holidays :lmao:

DR3M3L
Oh man, I missed this thread.

What the fuck? You seriously missed this thread?? How the fuck could you miss this thread? It's on top of the new content almost every day!!

:rofl:

SSTEEL

Almost 11k views!

DR3M3L

Almost 11k views!

Threadviewscounterwhore :lol: