Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

SSTEEL

Thats a poising tool vice. I was referring to a vice for my drill press.

I will eventually get a poising tool, but not just yet. Heres some info on the Bergeon tool you posted a photo of mate..

It is for testing the poise of balance wheel assemblies or any round object with an axle (e.g. tourbillon carriages). The bubble level can be placed onto the ruby jaws to set the tool level using the adjustable legs, and the jaws can be positioned to allow the pivots of the object to be poised to rest upon them. The object is tested by allowing it to spin and come to rest, it will tend to rest with the heaviest side down. The object is adjusted by whatever means appropriate (filing, chamfering, moving weight screws, etc) until the object will spin and comes to rest with no preference to a particular side. Like many watchmaking tasks, it is an expensive tool and seemingly over-complicated method of achieving a rather simple (but very critical) result. The testing process requires a very light touch (small, soft-haired brush or air bulb) with no other disturbances (air currents, table vibrations, etc) and lots of patience!

Olly

Ahh cool thanks for the info mate :)

SSTEEL

State of my work bench as of today.

10289226235_470f4aef57_b.jpg

Still have several pieces of equipment to arrive, plus more tools, and some bench top wooden organisers. :)

parisianshut

this is crazy ... i wish i have all that to mods some cheapies ! ^^

Olly

State of my work bench as of today.

10289226235_470f4aef57_b.jpg

Still have several pieces of equipment to arrive, plus more tools, and some bench top wooden organisers. :)

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes yes !!! Now that is a good picture. Great collection of tools but i think that drill is a little big :D What do you need it for ?

SSTEEL

The drill is for many jobs I have in mind. Practising drilling lugs for starters as I wish to eventually offer a service to members. I have pretty much everything needed to do so, but need to practise lots as its not an easy job to get right time and time again.

There are other jobs the drill press will come in handy for too as I plan on making a few custom items such as my own watch eventually, but that will be much later on after I get my Cowells lathe. In the meantime, the drill will help me make some custom woodwork I have in mind for my bench, and shelves/drawers :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I like to dabble in a bit of toolmaking too :)

Edited by SSTEEL

SSTEEL

Latest shot of my forever evolving work bench..

10397807913_c2a798ae4f_b.jpg

Sorry for the crap photo, iphone, plus lack of watchmaker lamp lol. The latest editions in the above photo are those two small wooden handmade tool drawers. Very handy, and I have now been able to empty my RWG tool kit zip folder, and store my tools handy, and within reach in them.

Odyseus

Looking good Micky, you'll have to set up a HD mini cam next

SSTEEL

Its on the cards mate :)

patooo

Just can't beat the tea box!!!

fraggle42

Well I've got the lathe and one of those Silverline drills :)

workshop1.jpg

The lathe is good, this is a 30mm dia metal bar I turned down to 10mm with 6mm dia hole drilled in it.

I needed to get a set of tools (£35) and obviously some metal stock to play with.

The previous owner had fitted a different motor and hadn't bothered to key the motors output shaft, so when I tried to take even a small cut it just stopped. Initially I thought the whole thing was just too weedy to be any good, then realised something was still running when the chuck was stopped and realised this. Dremel'd a keyway, used the key from the original motor, and now it's got loads of power, it'll shake itself to bits before it stops.

I do need to take the slides off and service them and set them all up properly, but for £250 it's a bargain!

I'm not sure how much better a £2500 lathe would be? I suppose when I add up the cost of this one, repair to the DC motor speed controller, the new tools, and it also needs a set of gears for the thread cutting part, it'll have cost me around £350.

lathe1.jpg

Olly

That mini late looks fantastic !!!!!! I think i may have to buy one ! :D Its even got a running centre ! What RPM can it achieve and what size bar can it hold ?

fraggle42

It is fun :)

I got this one second hand so it came with a few extra bits and pieces, like that live centre.

It's got the normal chuck hands, and the inverted chuck hands. I had to use the inverted chuck hands to hold the 30mm bar, I'd say the normal chuck hands can handle upto 25mm.

They're very common lathe, badged by hundreds of companies, check this page out

http://www.mini-lathe.com/

I've read stories of people drilling through the chuck back plate so it can hold a long bar right through the gearbox. (it has a hole in it, but it's a smaller dia than the chuck can hold)

Edited by fraggle42

Pihlippe

Impressive ssteel, but since you use big $$, why not also buy some working light.....to dark me think :D

Kcore

Well I've got the lathe and one of those Silverline drills :)

workshop1.jpg

The lathe is good, this is a 30mm dia metal bar I turned down to 10mm with 6mm dia hole drilled in it.

I needed to get a set of tools (£35) and obviously some metal stock to play with.

The previous owner had fitted a different motor and hadn't bothered to key the motors output shaft, so when I tried to take even a small cut it just stopped. Initially I thought the whole thing was just too weedy to be any good, then realised something was still running when the chuck was stopped and realised this. Dremel'd a keyway, used the key from the original motor, and now it's got loads of power, it'll shake itself to bits before it stops.

I do need to take the slides off and service them and set them all up properly, but for £250 it's a bargain!

I'm not sure how much better a £2500 lathe would be? I suppose when I add up the cost of this one, repair to the DC motor speed controller, the new tools, and it also needs a set of gears for the thread cutting part, it'll have cost me around £350.

lathe1.jpg

That's a cool setup!!! I'm so jealous of you guys that have these cool work shops. I'm working on a 24' X 24" folding table and chair.

I would venture a guess that looking at the pic, I see a rilfle case in the corner. Combine that to the size you're milling that steel stock, from 30mm to 10mm and boring a 6mm hole, could be a muzzle suppressor or silencer for a .22 cal.

onionbag

Being a toolmaker by day I suppose I should be fed up looking at machine tools...................but I never am.

Good stuff lads. :clap:

fraggle42

That's a cool setup!!! I'm so jealous of you guys that have these cool work shops. I'm working on a 24' X 24" folding table and chair.

I would venture a guess that looking at the pic, I see a rilfle case in the corner. Combine that to the size you're milling that steel stock, from 30mm to 10mm and boring a 6mm hole, could be a muzzle suppressor or silencer for a .22 cal.

Hehehe, a long way off the mark :D

It's a .22 air rifle in the background that hasn't been used in a lot of years - still works fine and oiled.

What I was making were two adapters to fit some motorbike pegs (Pivot Pegz) to a bike they weren't originally intended to fit on (Ducati Multistrada).

All sorted now.

SSTEEL

Impressive ssteel, but since you use big $$, why not also buy some working light.....to dark me think :D

I have a couple of lights on the way, a watchmaker strip light, and a magnifier lamp also.

@fraggle, great set up you have there mate, love it. Well done on Keying the motor, no wonder it stopped.

SSTEEL

My "Final Test" Slow/orange model winder arrived today, and added to my bench. I will eventually wall mount it alongside the fast/green model winder. First I need to plan my shelving set up.

10457161533_d41774d94b_b.jpg

Kcore

WOW Mick, great space and selection of tools just keeps getting better!

You guys are sooooo lucky and blessed! My work table which is a 24" X 24" folding table doubles as my formal dinning table :sad:

SSTEEL

I know what you mean mate, I used to have limited space too, so know what its like. No fun.

I'm quite lucky to have an understanding, and supportive wife of my hobby, as my workbench, which consists of two full size office desks in an L shape are actually in our living room, which is quite large, so no impact on the living space.

Kcore

I know what you mean mate, I used to have limited space too, so know what its like. No fun.

I'm quite lucky to have an understanding, and supportive wife of my hobby, as my workbench, which consists of two full size office desks in an L shape are actually in our living room, which is quite large, so no impact on the living space.

Guess I really shouldn't complain and should count my blessings as the wife wants us to put a pro size pool table in our living room.

SSTEEL

Guess I really shouldn't complain and should count my blessings as the wife wants us to put a pro size pool table in our living room.

Now that is a cool wife. :D

Your living room must be huge. I thought ours was big!

Kcore

Now that is a cool wife. :D

Your living room must be huge. I thought ours was big!

Yeah, she's a keeper. In a few years when the kids are off to college and the other ends of the world, I'll have all the space I need to whatever my heart desires!

SSTEEL

:D

Ok, bit of an update, more tools, and equipment incoming. Decided against a Chinese Water Pressure tester, so opted for the Bergeon 6ATM model. Also incoming is this watchmakers daylight fluorescent light. Its a big fecker :P

Specification...

Lamp head size: 610mm x 110mm x 60mm (24" x 4.3" x 2.4")

Reach of arm: 835mm (33")

Cord length: 1.52m (5ft)

Weight: 2.59kg (5.7lb)

Packaging size: 220mm x 735mm x 155mm (8.6" x 29" x 6")

Light source: 3x 14w Daylight energy saving tubes (D12623)

10590256566_4b67a092d6_b.jpg

Also an ultraviolet curing lamp, wooden watch case holder, Bergeon movement holders, drill press quick release vise, pith, and peg wood.

Next week my bench grinder/polisher kit should be here too, plus magnification lamp. Opted for the 5 Diopter glass lens model, importing from the US, and yes, I have taken into consideration of import duty this time :P

10590336424_8d55975739_o.png