Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

thedoc73

Wow..I think I'm in safe hands!

SSTEEL

I used to use an old razor blade to remove a DWO, and always manage to nip my finger through my gloves/cots, I have intended on getting a proper knife, a double edges precision knife, but couldn't find one locally, so the bay of fleas to the rescue.

All the way from Canada, an X-Acto Precision knife. From here

It really does make things easier, and it just like a hot knife through butter :)

11190914395_5785c60b00_b.jpg

And here's a shot for kicks, a dirty, old, used, hidden dw in a BP SD.

11191058083_01cae3900a_b.jpg

Reason for this thread, apart from the knife, I purchased one of these 3D printed DWO tools from Shapeways. RWG member, Mike (jerkshore) compiled it, then had it 3D printed.

Not the best photos below, I fitted the dial on the wrong side lol. I will post here how this tool helps, and assists with the date wheel overlay.

11168967003_2954177c3d_b.jpg

Kcore

You're so right about using the right tool! Kind of surprised that X-acto isn't locally available? I've been using them for modeling since I'm a boy.

I do a bit of everything around the house, electric, plumbing, sheetrocking, and some masonary work and not using the right tool can make simple task a nightmare!

Below is a pic of one such tool, a basin wrench. Fior anyone that has replaced a faucet, water feed or the like for a sink/basin, knows that without this tool, getting to your faucet nuts and supply lines is such a nightmare even if you have very skinny ape length arms :)

Let us know how the DWO tool works out.

pACE2-964906dt.jpg

onionbag

I'm interested to hear more about the 3D printing SSteel.

Kcore, here in Scotland we call that a crows-foot.

My pal who's a chanty wrestler(plumber), told me about those 30 years ago, very handy.

SSTEEL

Absolutely my friend. My next tool of choice relating to watchmaking is the Horotec Hand Press. Foolishly my curiosity got the better of me a while back, and I purchased one of those Chinese models that look exactly the same. What a complete piece of crap that was. Not only was it falling apart when it arrived, its scale/size is smaller than the Horotec tool it mimics, so much so, theres not enough room for you to bet a movement in a movement holder under the prong once you have fitted the nylon tip lol.

I recently purchased a Bergeon 4040 movement holder as the ones that come with the RWG tool kit, whilst sufficient for the odd job, I was experiencing the movements slipping from time to time, causing me more work, and stress. The 4040 was a great investment.

It just dawned on me, instead of starting a new thread, I should of posted in my tools, and equipment thread linked here..

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=44296&st=40&p=931507&hl=+tools%20+invest&fromsearch=1entry931507

Can a moderator do the kind thing for me of merging this thread with the above linked thread please? Be nice to keep everything tool related in there.

Thanks in advance.

SSTEEL

My pal who's a chanty wrestler(plumber), told me about those 30 years ago, very handy.

Search "jerkshore" 's threads, I'm sure he posted about it. If not, here's his thread from next door..

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/164985-date-overlay-tool-in-the-works/#entry1288965

onionbag
Can a moderator do the kind thing for me of merging this thread with the above linked thread please? Be nice to keep everything tool related in there.

Done.

Search "jerkshore" 's threads, I'm sure he posted about it. If not, here's his thread from next door..

http://www.rwgforum....s/#entry1288965

Will do thanks.

fraggle42

1.25x is 3 Diopter+, and has a smaller working distance. A 5 Diopter is 2.25x mate and has a working distance of 8 inches, more than enough room to work with tool in-between the mag glass, and watch. I have not received my 5 Diopter mag lamp yet, but should be here soon.

The amount of Diopter needed can vary person to person depending on age. There's a great explanation here on Diopter.

Here's a simple table of the most common Diopters. There are other tables available which note the working distance between the mag lens, and subject.

diopter-magnification.jpg

Regarding loupes, I have several various types, and magnification. I have x10, x20, x30 in the folding, handheld type. I have a x20 clip spectacles clip on type, and another clip on type which clips onto the arm of my spectacles, whereas the other clip on type clips over my spectacles glass lens. I guess a photo would show these better. I will take one whn I get time. The loupe that clips onto the arm of my glasses, I needed to mod it so it fit properly. This is quite common in watchmaking, having to mod loupe for glasses, so I've read.

Ah, I read the percentage table wrong.

I read it as 125% increase is ony 25%, "normal" is 100%, 125% is 25% bigger, 200% is 100% bigger. :)

I've got my supposedly 5 diopter light magnifier that I posted the link to and it's nowhere near 2.25x magnification. Maybe 1.75x.

I shall have to contact the EBay seller ASAP and get it sorted out.

I got a dirt cheap set of loupes to try out - they have a brass wire that goes to a clip that clips to the middle of my glasses. The brass wire was bent over to make them more compact for postage and on two out of the three the wire has snapped when I was straightening it out. I find these easy to use and they keep fairly stable on my glasses.

Also got a very cheap glasses magnifier. This is two loupes with an micro LED torch attached to each loupe that can be aimed. Both loupes are mounted on a straight bar that is above your eyes, it's like a glasses frame with both arms, nose guide and a flat bar above your eyes that the loupes are mounted onto. The mounts include a quick flip up.

The LED torches are damn bright! Magnification is huge, something like 20x. Only cost about £7.50 for the whole thing and for the price they're great. Easy to have one loupe up out of the way and the other down.

Well, if I didn't need glasses I could do that!!

SSTEEL

Talking of loupes, I am still experimenting with several different types mentioned in this thread earlier. That reminds me, I promised I would get a photo of them. Some are ok, but others are terrible, you have to be right onto of the subject field to get a clear view, and in doing so, you don't have enough room to get your tools in to work.

SSTEEL

11305140706_d9cee574a1_b.jpg

Like many, I opted to buy the cheap Chinese clone of the Horotec hands press, and oh boy, theres no space to work with it, so I forked out on the Horotec one. Not used it yet so cannot yet report how I get on with it, but I noticed initially about the lack of real estate and movement holder type restriction.

SSTEEL

Had some spare time during a busy day today so shot a couple of photo of where my workbench is at right now.

11322167804_84c4fdc50c_b.jpg

11322234513_b766881d54_b.jpg

And the scary part of this ongoing investment is I'm still investing. Not seen is my new grinder/polisher which is under the bench, I will be building a custom shelf for it under the bench, enabling me to work with polishing watches/parts whilst sitting comfortably :)

SteveSMP

Wow SSTEL, thats a lot of stuff! My toolbox is at the moment a 5 pcs set of small screwdrivers and a magnifying glass!

I see in the background the machine my watch may sit in if i cant manage my regulating :-)

SSTEEL

Wow SSTEL, thats a lot of stuff! My toolbox is at the moment a 5 pcs set of small screwdrivers and a magnifying glass!

I see in the background the machine my watch may sit in if i cant manage my regulating :-)

Its growing thats for sure. Slowly but surely, running out of space, so now looking at getting some drawers for underneath the benches, and maybe some miniature wooden ones for tidying the work tops too.

Olly

Had some spare time during a busy day today so shot a couple of photo of where my workbench is at right now.

11322167804_84c4fdc50c_b.jpg

11322234513_b766881d54_b.jpg

And the scary part of this ongoing investment is I'm still investing. Not seen is my new grinder/polisher which is under the bench, I will be building a custom shelf for it under the bench, enabling me to work with polishing watches/parts whilst sitting comfortably :)

When your polishing with a Mop remember that if flicks black shit EVERYWHERE ! ITs best if you make a box to go around it if you put it on your table.

SSTEEL

Thats the plan Olly, to make a custom shelf box that goes under the bench. It will then be contained within said box, keeping the mess localised. The box will have small cut out windows each side to aid the changing of the mops.

jgoorn

Pretty cool.

Olly

Thats the plan Olly, to make a custom shelf box that goes under the bench. It will then be contained within said box, keeping the mess localised. The box will have small cut out windows each side to aid the changing of the mops.

I only say this because my watch messing room has white walls with little black spots EVERYWHERE ! Its like someone has sneezed black shit everywhere ! :rolf:

Olly

If you make an MDF Box big enough for the whole grinder/Polisher to fit inside.

SSTEEL

If you make an MDF Box big enough for the whole grinder/Polisher to fit inside.

Thats the plan ;)

Olly
:lol:

SSTEEL

Just bagged a complete set of Dumont tweezers. Chuffed :)

Olly

Cool ! I recently got a set of swiss tweezers too and for £10 they are amazing quality !!!

SSTEEL

£10?!? Damn, I thought I did well @ £60 delivered for my Dumonts.

Olly

Bloody hell ! You got pics ? I'll take some too :)

SSTEEL
$_12.JPG$_12.JPG