Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

The right tools & equipment really do make things easier. DWO removal tool merged

Olly

image_zpsde15f034.jpg

image_zps9fcef808.jpg

SSTEEL

You did well for £10. What brand are they Swisstek?

Olly

Yer :)

SSTEEL

Cool Olly :)

Right guys, got a couple of things I would like to share with you. First up, the RWG watch case holder. Those of you who have already invested in the RWG tool kit, you will have found a old type watch case holder, its the heavy one ;) Anyway, I noticed that due to the brass pegs, I was sometimes marking some cases whilst working on the watch, so I thought I would do something about it.

I had tried a few holders by now but I find myself coming back to the RWG one as its a bloody good tool to be fair, it was just those brass pegs. So what did I do I hear you ask. Simple really, I took a little time to use some electrical (PVC) tape on both, the brass pegs, and on the flat area which a watch crystal/bezel can come into contact with.

Stretching the pvc tape as I wrapped it around, face it a nice firm, snug fit, and now it add a little bit of padded protection whilst holding a watch case nice and firm. The PVC tape grips really well.

Here's what the holder looks like with the pvc tape. Not pretty, and not much to look at, but boy does it make things easier.

11814219245_1724772a10_b.jpg

I then trimmed the pegs covering, then applied heat to the cut offs (cigar lighter for a couple of seconds)

11814473053_472a930fce_b.jpg

Pick up combination tool.

Next up, a finding that took quite some extensive research to track down, but wasn't after some trial and error with some pick up tools which I tried, some were simply a plain waste of money, and others didn't last very long. I tried the wax pencils, and the pick up tool I posted earlier in the thread, which looked great, and innovative, but it lost its stickiness after a short while, and even following the instructions on how to get the stickiness back by rinsing under a warm water tap, its failed flat.

This is a pick up tool with a difference, one which is mainly used in the nail art, and bead decoration field. Its called The Silhouette Pick Me Up.

11814963946_1657941609_b.jpg

11814964096_32b106d2b8_b.jpg

On the one end you have a strange looking tip, which is actually a tip full of a similar product as Rodico. This is then pushed out of the tip with screw action. After pulling off the tip cap first.

11814633754_34a7983642_b.jpg

11814634124_f90c1e52ed_b.jpg

11814964946_c1d629117b_b.jpg

This is great for picking up delicate things that you don't want to scratch, like hand etc.

Now onto the part I really like. The other end.

Its a manipulation tool. Up until now I had been using cocktail stirrers, sanded down, and made into a point as to enable me to manipulate indices, hands, DWO's etc whilst setting, and working with them.

In the other end of this tool is a manipulation tool, which pulls out of the pick up tool to reveal a double ended manipulation tool :)

11814632724_0e56ab8d3b_b.jpg

On one end, a flat edge..

11814221335_af4295e9f3_b.jpg

11814965396_609545e2ed_b.jpg

And then the pointed end which I find perfect for manipulating Date Wheel Overlays..

11814634734_80dfeb49c4_b.jpg

So, thats a wrap folk's, hope you found this useful :)

Olly

Now that is handy ! when aligning the hands onto the pinions it scratches the hand a little, and with rodico it leaves a slight residue. Cranking tool !!

jgoorn

Great tool. Also finger protectors (from CVS make the difference)

Olly

Check out finger cots. They are possibly the best thing on my table :)

SSTEEL

I prefer to use Finex PF gloves from cousins, they are great and can be used a few times.

Talking of finger cots, I have a packet of 200 if anyone wants them? They are too small for my chubby fingers, and stop the circulation. If anyone wants then just cover postage, and I will send them in EU.

Olly

They are worth it :D easy on and off, reusable too :)

SSTEEL

Just an heads up to those of you who have purchased the RWG tool kit. The blower that came with my kit has started to fail on me, and is now contaminated, and shooting out inner debris due to the material breaking down. I have to confess though, I have really got my moneys worth out of it as I have used it several times a day since buying it a year ago now.

If you only use yours once in a while, you have no need to worry.

I will be getting the Bergeon dust blower next week now. Had to resort to a can of compressed air for the time being, releasing air gently, works ok.

SSTEEL

Lates investments which I am proud of as I have been planning on getting these for a while, so been saving up. The cheaper models I have are nowhere near the same quality, and its noticeable when working with micro adjustments. They are both freshly unpackaged in the photos below, -15 here today, so they are ice cold lol.

First up, a Horotec two stage press.

11946768405_418e3c59e8_b.jpg

And secondly, a Rolex generic bezel removal tool.

11947611356_f623c10fd4_b.jpg

Olly

Very nice !! What is that bezel remover going for ?

SSTEEL

I was around £150 I think, its from cousinsuk.

SSTEEL

Olly, if you are considering the bezel removal tool from cousinsuk, I would strongly recommend you remove the jaws, and sand them down as they arrived quite sharp and uneven. Here's mine after sanding, and smoothing down.

11978387506_7129ecc15d_b.jpg

11977554205_3d1a6b1d60_b.jpg

I would also recommend greasing the runners, and oil the centre thread length as both were dry also.

SSTEEL

Olly, pm incoming, DON'T BUY THIS BEZEL TOOL FROM COUSINSUK! In fact, I recommend everyone to steer away from this tool, mine's broken already so sending it back. Bloody POS. Ordered the Horotec 07.117 bezel removal tool. Expensive, but its the best available.

Olly

You got a pic of what broke ?

SSTEEL

Can't photograph it, its the thread running in the cast for the main shaft. Wasn't happy with the whole process with this type set up to be honest, I was about to order the 4 jaw Horotec, but even that can still scratch a watch which puts me off.

I searched for a safe solution of bezel removal for Rolex, Diver, and specifically, rotating bezels, and the Bergeon 6820 ticks all the right boxes, so will will get that instead.

590664.jpg

Odyseus
Can't photograph it, its the thread running in the cast for the main shaft. Wasn't happy with the whole process with this type set up to be honest, I was about to order the 4 jaw Horotec, but even that can still scratch a watch which puts me off.

I searched for a safe solution of bezel removal for Rolex, Diver, and specifically, rotating bezels, and the Bergeon 6820 ticks all the right boxes, so will will get that instead.

590664.jpg

Or just go hard core and use a watch back removing knife and some protective tape!!;)

Definitely worth paying good money for a decent watch hand press. I use Horotec watch levers and I should buy the press too ???

George.

Found myself removing a case back with an ERASER the other day. The right tools REALLY REALLY do make things easier.

SSTEEL

590664.jpg

Or just go hard core and use a watch back removing knife and some protective tape!! ;)

Definitely worth paying good money for a decent watch hand press. I use Horotec watch levers and I should buy the press too ???

I swear by mine, use it all the time now. It did take some getting used to though. I too plan on getting the medium Horotec hand lifters, as I already have the small for chronograph hands. The ones that come in the RWG kit have done well so far too.

Found myself removing a case back with an ERASER the other day. The right tools REALLY REALLY do make things easier.

Duct tape works well on case backs also ;)

Olly

Thought so! How much is that bergeon ? 200-300£ ?

Olly

SSTEEL

Cheapest I could find was at cousinsuk for £265 plus shipping.

J!m

I use a case back knife, tape and a lot of patience and care. I'd love to have a proper Bergeon tool but that is serious money for a hobbist watch hack such as myself...

You are really jumping into the deep end on this! Are you planning a career change?

SSTEEL

I use a case back knife, tape and a lot of patience and care. I'd love to have a proper Bergeon tool but that is serious money for a hobbist watch hack such as myself...

You are really jumping into the deep end on this! Are you planning a career change?

Yes, thats the plan my friend, well not really a career change, I'm retired. At the moment I have a steady flow of rep modding work, but if I'm to start accepting more work, to work more efficiently, I need tools I can trust, and depend on.

I tried ordering the Bergeon as mentioned earlier, but out of stock, so now reverting back to the Horotec 07.117 I just hope that the Swiss quality pulls through, and repairs my bad experience with the jaw type bezel remover.

Olly

I used to have a cast iron crystal press but when I used it to press a crystal for the first time the cast iron fractured and fell apart !! What a heap of shit ! :lol: